Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 04:13 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
In my experience, Sicilians are at least superficially warm, open and hospitable, but they can turn on you just as quickly, becoming cold, closed, and hostile. Northern Italians are not really hospitable, they are reserved, but a friendship that develops over time can be sincere, mutually profitable, and long term, with slowly progressive degrees of hospitality over a period of years. Can't really compare all mainland Italians region by region, it really doesn't work that way anyway, we are all individuals. I can relate only my personal experiences and anecdotes.

Hence, again, in my experience, Greeks are not that openly warm, open and hospitable, but always ready to help if asked, sometimes even going the extra mile which left me with deep impressions.
Again, I agree here. Sicilians are SUPERFICIALLY warmer than northern Italians. The friendship can go from hot to cold in a hurry. In families, squabbles are the order of the day. One attorney I know who hails from Sicily, but graduated from law school in the north, longs for Sicily but said "Up here, there's business surrounding transactions and stuff like that, in Sicily there are squabbles which are the base of one's work."

I will differ in that I've struck up friendships with northern Italians more quickly, and they proceed with more caution, but last longer. While they were not from Milan, they were with people from Bologna, Turin and Brescia. Sicily has the beauty, the weather, and the intrigue, but northern Italy has generally more "normal" people. One Sicilian woman, a relative, disappointingly said to me "Siamo incivile," when I went back as an adult for the first time. That means "We are not civil."

I agree about the Greeks. They are friendly if being mercantile, and for no other purpose. The Greeks are a people unto themselves, with a unique religion and language/alphabet. For them, befriending an outsider ranks very low on their list. They are the least friendly of these 3 groups. However, they know what side their bread is buttered on: tourism.

And, Tri, continuing post #18, Sicilians who have been raised up north LOVE to make fun of their Sicilian relatives - either imitating their accent, or telling stories of the ridiculous things they say and do ... while eating dinner or strolling with a gelato in hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
In my experience, Sicilians are at least superficially warm, open and hospitable, but they can turn on you just as quickly, becoming cold, closed, and hostile. Northern Italians are not really hospitable, they are reserved, but a friendship that develops over time can be sincere, mutually profitable, and long term, with slowly progressive degrees of hospitality over a period of years. Can't really compare all mainland Italians region by region, it really doesn't work that way anyway, we are all individuals. I can relate only my personal experiences and anecdotes.

Hence, again, in my experience, Greeks are not that openly warm, open and hospitable, but always ready to help if asked, sometimes even going the extra mile which left me with deep impressions.

In any case, you do well to concentrate the Italian leg of your trip on Rome, along with the Lazio coast, and Florence, along with the Tuscan countryside, but perhaps any extra time in Naples and the Amalfi coast would be better spent in Venice - following the typical Italian triad of Rome, Florence, Venice - truly a unique place in its own right, hard to believe that you do not find it appealing. Unless, of course, as you mentioned, you think that you will return to Italy again some day in future. And, having said that, indeed the view of Mount Vesuvius from the nearby coast is haunting and the archeological sites of Hercolaneum and Pompeii are also one of a kind and breath-taking.

Anyway, enjoy!
I don't know, there's something about Venice i don't find aesthetically pleasing. Those canals just seem grey and dirty, as do all the buildings, and it's sort of weird how the buildings are just next to the water. The whole place just seems gloomy and sad and i've heard it's overrated. It might be interesting to see such a unique environment, actually, it'd be worth a visit, but I find the Amalfi coast just more beautiful and what I have in mind when I think of Italy.

Thanks for the comments re Sicilians and other Italians, will keep that in mind!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Again, I agree here. Sicilians are SUPERFICIALLY warmer than northern Italians. The friendship can go from hot to cold in a hurry. In families, squabbles are the order of the day. One attorney I know who hails from Sicily, but graduated from law school in the north, longs for Sicily but said "Up here, there's business surrounding transactions and stuff like that, in Sicily there are squabbles which are the base of one's work."

I will differ in that I've struck up friendships with northern Italians more quickly, and they proceed with more caution, but last longer. While they were not from Milan, they were with people from Bologna, Turin and Brescia. Sicily has the beauty, the weather, and the intrigue, but northern Italy has generally more "normal" people. One Sicilian woman, a relative, disappointingly said to me "Siamo incivile," when I went back as an adult for the first time. That means "We are not civil."

I agree about the Greeks. They are friendly if being mercantile, and for no other purpose. The Greeks are a people unto themselves, with a unique religion and language/alphabet. For them, befriending an outsider ranks very low on their list. They are the least friendly of these 3 groups. However, they know what side their bread is buttered on: tourism.

And, Tri, continuing post #18, Sicilians who have been raised up north LOVE to make fun of their Sicilian relatives - either imitating their accent, or telling stories of the ridiculous things they say and do ... while eating dinner or strolling with a gelato in hand.
So Sicilians are like the hicks of Italy...I guess Southern Italy is, but Sicilia especially?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times
There are also people of Albanian ancestry living in Sicily and other parts of Southern Italy.

Arbëreshë people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My paternal grandparents migrated from the Marche region of Italy, as did almost all other Italians who emigrated to the Mississippi Delta. Culturally, we are not anticlerical like so many southern Italians, we do not have religious processions, and we don't make cannolis!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
So Sicilians are like the hicks of Italy...I guess Southern Italy is, but Sicilia especially?
I've often thought of it that way, but actually all people from Naples on down, and on Sardinia, qualify for "hick" status in Italy. Some are in a time warp and almost scary.

But hicks don't have churches like this as the norm so, for some, the level of culture and craftsmanship was quite high:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mo_Sicilia.JPG

Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
My paternal grandparents migrated from the Marche region of Italy, as did almost all other Italians who emigrated to the Mississippi Delta. Culturally, we are not anticlerical like so many southern Italians, we do not have religious processions, and we don't make cannolis!
Make some changes in the Delta! open cannoli shops ... bring the statue out of the church once a year, with fireworks and marching bands ... let the men of the town take mistresses. Import the "dolce vita" to the South. Now THAT would be a sight. And I can say this, since I have a friend of Sicilian stock who was born in B-ham AL.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 AM

603 posts, read 1,631,285 times
There is some similarities to a extent to Mainland Italy.

But there is also some obvious differences too.

Sicilians look more closer to Greeks and even to some Levantines.

While there are other Sicilians that look more Albanian.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:02 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloxias View Post
While there are other Sicilians that look more Albanian.
Arbëreshë people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Interesting.....I actually work with a lady that is Italian, but born in Albania. So, there seems to be some crossover between the 2. Her father was from and her mother's family had origins in Bari. Another twist is that her mother was born in West Virginia.

I also work with another lady whose mother was from Abruzzo and I wonder if she knows about this group, as it seems to be an area where they have a presence.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:49 PM

114 posts, read 624,117 times
Sicilians are very similar in all regards to the southernmost parts of mainland Italy -- Calabria, Basilicata, and Apulia. All of these regions have Greek influences from ancient times and the Byzantine Empire. I think of Sicilians as "Helleno-Romance", which I think differentiates themselves from people in say, Lazio or Marche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe