Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 09:24 AM

603 posts, read 1,631,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriaEstefan View Post
The physical similarity of Sicilians to the Iberians and to the Greeks is very remarkable. Much more than their similarity to Venetians or South Tyroleans.
Exactly true.

Sicilians are more akin to Iberians and Greeks due to their Mediterranean heritage.

Venetians and South Tyroleans are more like the Swiss, Slovenes for example due to their Alpine culture and heritage that exists around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,879 times
I am Sicilian from Palermo and most of you are ignorant =)

Old 03-06-2014, 06:33 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There are definitely different clusters of Italians. I would push this up to five groups:

- Northern Italians - and only the part that is not peninsular is identifying as "la Padania" and wants to secede

- Central Italians/"il Mezzogiorno" - Romans may have a more southern M.O., but it's not the south

- Southern Italians - the south starts with Campania, on the "left," and Puglia, on the "right"

- Sicilians

- Sardinians - even more "exotic" than the Sicilians, but not viewed as such because they were hardly visible as immigrants - they have a large amount of Spanish culture infused, because parts are so close to Barcelona - there are lot of people with last names like Palmas or Torres in Sardinia, and they are also designated an "autonomous region," as is Sicily. I do not know which areas Sardinians aimed for when immigrating, so they don't have as much of an image as "immigrants" as do the Sicilians and the Neapolitans
Northerners (like me) do NOT identify with Padania or other bull****s like that, Lega Nord is a weak party which has lost a lot of power.
We are Northerners, just that.
"Mezzogiorno" (literally "Midday") is Southern Italy not Central one.
I'd agree that Sicily has a stronger regional identity than most of other Italian regions but I'd also point out that Tuscany,like Sardinia, is somehow different from the remnant.
As a matter of fact, all Italian region (mine is Trentino) are peculiar and different: we speak the same language but we also have different dialects and traditions.
Nonetheless, for me Italy is one: from Alps to Pantelleria and I'd never change that.
A Sicilian is primarily Italian for me.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:59 AM

150 posts, read 295,036 times
Coming from an outsider (American) who has vacationed in many parts of Italy as well as had some amazing vacations in Sicily (Catania, Giardini Naxos, Syracuse, Taormina) I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference aside from accents/language. In my experience Sicilians were generally friendlier to tourists, more welcoming and gracious. I would visit Catania again much sooner than I would go back to Milan or Rome

Old 03-30-2014, 05:52 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,424,938 times
Sicilians are more similar to the people of southern Italy, and they are an Italian people. Though they could only very slightly culturally differ from northern Italians. Anyway as Italians, they have a great tendency towards a brunette complexion with dark hair and dark eyes and a more olive complexion, nevertheless there are blondes and occassionally red-heads too! Sicilians are perhaps even "more Mediterranean" than northern Italians. We should always remember that there is a much greater genetical diversity in Southern Europe than in other parts of Europe. The stereotype of the "dark Italians" in America was derived mainly from the large Sicilian immigration. However even in Calabria, are plenty of the Mediterranean-looking people.

Calabria
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...bria_Italy.JPG

Over-all Italians have good looks.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:52 AM

6 posts, read 11,095 times
Maybe Italians living in Italy can spot them, just as in Alberto Sordi's pictures, but the rest of people can't. They look Italians.

I must add that New York "Italians" do not resemble Sicilians or Italians at all, for the most part are overweight, badly dressed, too dark and sloppy....just the reverse of Italians.

Italians are people obsessed with their image, they love to look good, most have taste, not all, they are overly social people.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikuyu View Post
Maybe Italians living in Italy can spot them, just as in Alberto Sordi's pictures, but the rest of people can't. They look Italians.

I must add that New York "Italians" do not resemble Sicilians or Italians at all, for the most part are overweight, badly dressed, too dark and sloppy....just the reverse of Italians.

Italians are people obsessed with their image, they love to look good, most have taste, not all, they are overly social people.
There is a difference between "looking like" and "dressing like".

Old 04-08-2014, 08:17 PM

Most Italians are dark anyway, look at Gianluigi Buffon.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2_final_02.jpg

Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Most Italians are dark anyway, look at Gianluigi Buffon.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2_final_02.jpg

He's dark but he looks more central Italian or northern, not like an average southerner or Sicilian.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 PM

199 posts, read 336,495 times
Quote:
First, to the part in bold, on a knee-jerk level, I dislike the Sicilians who calls themselves a Sicilian first and then an Italian, or denies being an Italian.
Aren't South Tyroleans like that as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe