Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:32 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,312,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I can't believe I'm going to say this but I don't think the Palin pick was a display of a lack of judgment. I think he took a gamble and rolled the dice because he is a gambling man. It's worked well for him in the past. It could have turned out very well for him; such gambles have in the past. This time it just didn't. If I had to guess, I would guess it didn't because he overestimated what he thought she'd know. Meaning, obviously he didn't vet her, not really, but he's known a lot of governors. He took another gamble thinking she'd be as knowledgeable of issues as many other governors are, imo.

I don't care for the negative, divisive campaign he's run either but if I step back from it neither am I surprised. As I've said elsewhere (and maybe in this thread but I can't recall for certain) it's a tactic that has worked well in the past and should have worked this time. McCain wanted to win at any and all costs. That much is clear to me. I don't think he can quite grasp, now, why he's losing to the upstart.

Paperhouse - Thanks for the video; I read the transcript of that last night and still cannot believe what I read or saw. Has any Veep ever come out and said, in the middle of the campaign, that they were looking for their own WH bid in the future, before? That woman has brass balls - and not of the good variety.

And hey, I just noticed your locale! I went to summer camp there many times (grew up near Wilmington).
Sarah Palin can do all the "shredding" she wants. This woman will NEVER be President. She has cost McCain--and the Republicans--this election. The majority of Americans cannot stand her. There's not a chance in a million that the Republicans will choose her as their next nominee. Not if they want to take back the White House. Not a chance in a million that they would take that chance.

Or maybe they would. Look how stupidly they ran THIS campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:34 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,163,793 times
From the beginning, McCain's candidacy felt at least a little bit like that of a sacrificial lamb for the GOP.
What's hard to tell is whether he himself looked upon it that way from the get-go, and acted accordingly, or whether he had high hopes which later became crushed, and that's when he went more negative.
I dunno.
Palin is another category unto herself. I agree that there is little intellect but plenty of street smarts, not to mention ambition. I'd really have loved to have seen how the choice of Palin came about. Man, talk about a loose cannon.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:40 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,055,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Normie, I think she realizes winning here is a lost cause. If the GOP had run Jesus himself, they still wouldn't win this election. America is tired of the Republican name.
Yup, I definitely agree. I wonder how long it's been since she came to that conclusion? It seemed at first that she genuinely believed in McCain but I haven't felt that from her for some time now. Now she's thinking about saving her own butt and promoting her own campaign.

Quote:

SGrey, it certainly is beautiful here this time of year.
I second that emotion! I used to live in Asheville, and autumn in the Carolinas is the best.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:

YouTube - Kay Hagan Responds to Dole's "Godless" Ad

Another example. They only have themselves to blame.
That ad is revolting on so many different levels--starting with the fact that none of it is true. I'm glad Campbell Brown featured it in her commentary. Disgusting what levels are being stooped to this year.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,432,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Sarah Palin can do all the "shredding" she wants. This woman will NEVER be President. She has cost McCain--and the Republicans--this election. The majority of Americans cannot stand her. There's not a chance in a million that the Republicans will choose her as their next nominee. Not if they want to take back the White House. Not a chance in a million that they would take that chance.

Or maybe they would. Look how stupidly they ran THIS campaign.
Yes, they would take that chance as much as it pains me to say. All you have to do is look up the statement the other day that basically said "you're either for Palin or you're out of the party." I think she will try to become president. That's what her sights are set on anyway. Whether or not she will get the chance to attempt it can probably be read in what the fallout of all this ends up being. Specifically what happens within the GOP after the election.

Quote:
SGrey, it certainly is beautiful here this time of year.
That's a mean, mean reminder. I always miss NC; it will forever be the state I call home.

Quote:
Maybe I'm just being a "pollyanna" here, but I am hoping for MUCH BETTER THINGS, from both parties, and starting with the election of President Obama, and a fillibuster proof majority in congress, for at least a while!
I can choke down the thought of a fillibuster proof congress for 2 years if I must. I'd rather it didn't happen but it's too late for that now. Yet anything more than 2 years makes me shudder in horror. Checks and balances please for the win.

Quote:
That ad is revolting on so many different levels--starting with the fact that none of it is true. I'm glad Campbell Brown featured it in her commentary. Disgusting what levels are being stooped to this year.
Isn't it just. While I might let the Godless hammering slide, the add in at the end over Hagan's face is just disgusting. Dole has lost all respect from me for running it and double that because she refuses to stop running it.

Quote:
From the beginning, McCain's candidacy felt at least a little bit like that of a sacrificial lamb for the GOP.
You think? I ask because however much they may not like him, I don't think the GOP would use anyone as a sacrificial lamb. They want to win too badly.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I can choke down the thought of a fillibuster proof congress for 2 years if I must. I'd rather it didn't happen but it's too late for that now. Yet anything more than 2 years makes me shudder in horror. Checks and balances please for the win.
I agree. We need our leaders to hail from multiple parties. The GOP needs to regroup and go a new direction. Less emphasis on fear-mongering, more emphasis on ideas. Third parties need to become stronger. I would personally like to see the birth of a Women's Party. It would be a great legacy for the Clintons.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:54 AM

11,519 posts, read 14,745,779 times
I heard the Dole ad, too. Pathetic.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:18 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,242,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
What's hard to tell is whether he himself looked upon it that way from the get-go, and acted accordingly, or whether he had high hopes which later became crushed, and that's when he went more negative.
I dunno.
Palin is another category unto herself. I agree that there is little intellect but plenty of street smarts, not to mention ambition. I'd really have loved to have seen how the choice of Palin came about. Man, talk about a loose cannon.
Did you get the feeling like the GOP were just going through the motions after say about March?

Looking back over the GOP choices during the primaries and some of the polling data as well as some of the commentary here that it started out with next to no viable candidates.

We had Hunter and Tancredo were great juicy steaks for the base but didn't have a great deal broader appeal. Huckabee was likable enough, base liked him but you had to wonder if he was going to serve possum to foreign dignitaries at state dinner. Romney was a fork in the road where many conservative and fiscally minded people were attracted to his polished and more business minded appeal but many of the mainstream social conservatives just didn't trust one of still outside of what they consider mainstream Christian. Then there was ole Fred Thompson which his wry country wit and grandpa like feel, where you could go from reading Uncle Remus to a foreign policy review in a single night. Sharp guy, fairly well rounded, ripe for the picking but just never really had his heart in to it. Almost as though Fred Thompson knew what was going to happen and wanted to be as far away as possible. Then there was the (chant with me) Rudy... .Rudy... Rudy, a noun a verb and 911. The clear favorite and front runner until it dawned on people and became evident that the man was a mile wide and an inch deep.

Then the party looked across a bleak landscape and saw McCain sitting off to the side and said to themselves... why not. He has ran before, he was already vetted, folks liked the guy and considering what else we have to choose from, what the heck.

I think the biggest mistake of the whole thing was the miscalculation by the campaign that the Appalachian voting bloc and especially women had their noses so bent out of shape over the Clinton v Obama case that was nearly the end of Obama. They went all in with Palin with very little time to check her background and put her through a proper vetting process and lost.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:34 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,218,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Did you get the feeling like the GOP were just going through the motions after say about March?

Looking back over the GOP choices during the primaries and some of the polling data as well as some of the commentary here that it started out with next to no viable candidates.

We had Hunter and Tancredo were great juicy steaks for the base but didn't have a great deal broader appeal. Huckabee was likable enough, base liked him but you had to wonder if he was going to serve possum to foreign dignitaries at state dinner. Romney was a fork in the road where many conservative and fiscally minded people were attracted to his polished and more business minded appeal but many of the mainstream social conservatives just didn't trust one of still outside of what they consider mainstream Christian. Then there was ole Fred Thompson which his wry country wit and grandpa like feel, where you could go from reading Uncle Remus to a foreign policy review in a single night. Sharp guy, fairly well rounded, ripe for the picking but just never really had his heart in to it. Almost as though Fred Thompson knew what was going to happen and wanted to be as far away as possible. Then there was the (chant with me) Rudy... .Rudy... Rudy, a noun a verb and 911. The clear favorite and front runner until it dawned on people and became evident that the man was a mile wide and an inch deep.

Then the party looked across a bleak landscape and saw McCain sitting off to the side and said to themselves... why not. He has ran before, he was already vetted, folks liked the guy and considering what else we have to choose from, what the heck.

I think the biggest mistake of the whole thing was the miscalculation by the campaign that the Appalachian voting bloc and especially women had their noses so bent out of shape over the Clinton v Obama case that was nearly the end of Obama. They went all in with Palin with very little time to check her background and put her through a proper vetting process and lost.
And of course, there was Ron Paul. But the mainstream GOP couldn't nominate him because they'd have to admit that the past few years of nation/empire building had caused them to put more emphasis on Iraq's security than our own both militarily and economically. His answer to the electability question in Myrtle Beach, SC should have secured the nomination and the Presidency. But he's a kook.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Isn't it just. While I might let the Godless hammering slide, the add in at the end over Hagan's face is just disgusting. Dole has lost all respect from me for running it and double that because she refuses to stop running it.
The part I found most offensive (and yes, it was hard to choose...) was when they used a recording of a woman saying "there is no God" and tried to make it look like that was a tape of Hagan speaking. And the funny thing is, I wouldn't have cared if Hagan HAD said that! But cutting in a tape from another person like that is not only misleading, IMO it's dishonest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections