Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:50 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,416,870 times

Advertisements

TnHilltopper -
You've really made a great series of posts here - and you are 100% right. While McCain has made a LOT of mistakes in this campaign, he's not the one responsible for the massive losses the GOP is going to face elsewhere - and while Bush IS responsible for a much of it, even HE is not the total cause of the GOP's problems. The fact is, the GOP has lost it's compass - both morally and philosophically - and many prominent GOP leaders have acknowledged as much and warned of the coming political disaster and the inevitable "blood bath" and cannibalism that is to follow.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,134,337 times
mccain couldn't eject from this plane if he wanted, it's to late...he's trapped....the fun part starts after the election, can you imagine the sniping & the back-stabbing that will go on after this is all set and done...i can't wait 2 be entertained.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:09 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,232,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
TnHilltopper -
You've really made a great series of posts here - and you are 100% right. While McCain has made a LOT of mistakes in this campaign, he's not the one responsible for the massive losses the GOP is going to face elsewhere - and while Bush IS responsible for a much of it, even HE is not the total cause of the GOP's problems. The fact is, the GOP has lost it's compass - both morally and philosophically - and many prominent GOP leaders have acknowledged as much and warned of the coming political disaster and the inevitable "blood bath" and cannibalism that is to follow.

Ken
Well I follow along with that "other" portion of the party that has seen the writing on the wall since McCain got the nomination. Those more prominent members, like Tom Delay's completely lunatic fringe rant this evening are only now just "getting it". I suspect many of these types will form a circle around Palin and take that group down the oubliette of despair. As for that "other" more sensible part of the party, there has been talk about what next to do since as far back as May, or at least that I have been reading. Ron Paul started his campaign for liberty group and it has caught the attention of many from that "other" side. Not that they would rally around him but more as the old wise grandpa who quietly rocks in his chair on a porch and says, "Boy, I done told you so".

Old 10-29-2008, 10:12 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,697,793 times
mccain is a real live war hero. they tortured and hurt him in vietnam. he has a score to settle. he will never leave bagdad ever (if made commander & chief). he is also too old for this horrible thankless job.
dear john i am sorry you cant be president i cant afford it we need to save our country we are going broke fast. no more warlords. time to fall back and punt. have a good retirement.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,431,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
Sorry, I cannot give McCain a pass.

Regardless of policy differences, Reagan and Bush Sr did not try to demonize the opposition.
They did not choose to deliberately divide the country.

Nixon, Bush II, and now McCain did just that. "Us" and "them" fearmongering politics truly is Un-American.

Us & Them Politics « The Situationist
True Reagan didn't; he tended to laugh at the 'liberal left'. Yet the beginnings of where we are now can be traced straight to Reagan as much as it pains me to say it. He actively courted the Christian right - he'd roll over in his grave to see how things have turned out. That was the beginning of the divide. Then you have Gingrich who began turning liberal into a dirty word. Bush and Rove expanded upon that. Now you have McCain who has made the choice to play on the same sewn farmland. As much as I dislike whoever he is now I cannot fault him for choosing to try a tactic that has worked in recent years. By all rights it should have worked now. To look at this board you know how well it has so far.

Quote:
Well I follow along with that "other" portion of the party that has seen the writing on the wall since McCain got the nomination. Those more prominent members, like Tom Delay's completely lunatic fringe rant this evening are only now just "getting it". I suspect many of these types will form a circle around Palin and take that group down the oubliette of despair. As for that "other" more sensible part of the party, there has been talk about what next to do since as far back as May, or at least that I have been reading. Ron Paul started his campaign for liberty group and it has caught the attention of many from that "other" side. Not that they would rally around him but more as the old wise grandpa who quietly rocks in his chair on a porch and says, "Boy, I done told you so".
I think we're at the point where fusing the party back together is beyond what is possible. It is an interesting spectacle to observe though. When the Dems lost with Kerry the party all but fell apart yet they did it in the crying in your beer sort of way. The Rep higher ups though look like they're going to eat their young, literally. Instead of discussing what needs to be done to bring the party back together they are discussing who needs to be cut out and cut off. Just as they've made the political climate in the country divisive they are turning that mentality within the party.

It's not going to be pretty but neither does it all rest on McCain's shoulders when it is obvious he has done his darndest to tow to party line this season to the detriment of his own campaign. Had he said F off once he got the nod then been the McCain he used to be this would be a much tighter race to the point he might even be leading. That is a choice that I suspect will haunt him until his dying day.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:39 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,207,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
When the Dems lost with Kerry the party all but fell apart yet they did it in the crying in your beer sort of way. The Rep higher ups though look like they're going to eat their young, literally. Instead of discussing what needs to be done to bring the party back together they are discussing who needs to be cut out and cut off. Just as they've made the political climate in the country divisive they are turning that mentality within the party.
The Democrats had Dean enacting a 50 state strategy that Obama really took off an ran with in the election. There is no real leader of the GOP. They've got no common enemy with some voting for Obama, some claiming he's a Muslin (sic) terrorist, and others completely disgusted and voting third party. It's gotten kinda nuts around here.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:50 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,201,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
Dude, it ain't over yet.
It's been over.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,201,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
Someone is watching alittle to much MSNBC.

Rep have always disagreed with things, it a good group who can disagree instead of people a everyone fall in line behind me like the dems do.

Follow your leader, your current leader is going to take America down and you all are falling in line like follow the leader.

What a shame.
Down you say. How can we go further down than this crime family, posing as an administration has taken us? The only way from here is up!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,232,112 times
I'm not sure how this page will appear to others since I'm a subscriber the links are given to me in PDF and free to download all of them.
The American Conservative

In any event, I am not even a fan of Pat Buchanan by a long shot but, he does have some great writers and guest columnist that offer some very insightful analysis and examination of what I would call, Paleoconservatism.

While probably scoffed at by both liberals for its name and contemporary Republicans for what I consider some harsh realities, it does have content that reaches to both aisles of the political spectrum.

Paleoconservatives, neoconseravtives and the social conservatives in a three way tug of war and three very distinct camps. I suspect the more militant liberal type neoconservatives are likely to end up in Democratic circles as even William Kristol mentioned at the 04 DNC, live on CNN, "Neonconservatives must embrace their liberal roots" (to which I still have on vhs tape for posterity)

Social conservatives are certainly circling Palin and as far as the paleo-traditional conservative types, hard to tell but I'm willing to bet they have a game plan that is dependent upon the pending slaughter in Congressional races.

Paperhouse, the 50 state strategy is oh so more possible with age of the internet and it being accepted as a mainstream source of media content now. Will be interesting to see how well future elections will learn to use it as an effective tool as the Obama campaign has done.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:10 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,431,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
The Democrats had Dean enacting a 50 state strategy that Obama really took off an ran with in the election. There is no real leader of the GOP. They've got no common enemy with some voting for Obama, some claiming he's a Muslin (sic) terrorist, and others completely disgusted and voting third party. It's gotten kinda nuts around here.
Good point. Dean did come up with a great plan, scream and all. It will be interesting to see if the Reps try to employee the strategy in four years or if they will hold tight to the old ways. I suspect the latter for at least one more election.

Quote:
Social conservatives are certainly circling Palin and as far as the paleo-traditional conservative types, hard to tell but I'm willing to bet they have a game plan that is dependent upon the pending slaughter in Congressional races.
Pat is a nut but he has some good points now and again. On the serious side, I check out his site with some frequency since I fall under the paleo label.

I'm not sure the paleo's have a strategy though beyond exiting the Rep party. In the past four years we've seen them edging further and further away from it. They are being vocal in their displeasure but I am not certain they've yet come to the point of realizing they either have to take the party back or move on. From what I've seen so far the one thing they agree on is that Palin and any of her ilk must go.

And perhaps I have been wrong in saying they may end up edging out of the party and reforming. It may well be that they stand up and say enough. If they are going to do so now is the time because Bush and company don't have the power to hold sway despite his aide shooting his mouth off the other day. McCain never had that kind of sway and then with all the seat losses...now is the time for a coup if there is ever going to be one. The one question that then spawns off of that is whether or not there is enough faith in the Rep party by the people to support it if it were to return to what it was.

Then the other side of the coin is, since you have me thinking about it, whether the party can survive without all the sides. The Dems have the numbers. Their downfall historically is that they don't freaking turn out. But if you split the Rep party I'm not sure they'd ever have the numbers to beat the Dems. If any branch thereof did it would be the Paleos. The social conservatives do not have the numbers despite what they like to tell themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections