Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:40 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Making accusations based on what a report said that will not name who said it isn't what I would call intelligent evaluation. I asked an honest question earlier, people ignored answering it and kept on with their immediate assumptions as to the conclusions of the claim. I am sorry, but that is without a doubt, stupid slander and gossip spreading.
Please place in quotes here on this thread where I made any accusations about anything? Since I haven't actually accused anyone of anything, the premise to your post is baseless and hard to take serious. As to other people, I cannot, nor will I make any attempt to speak for anyone but myself.

I'll begin to take your accusations as serious when you also offer up a balanced rebuke of the many baseless and outlandish accusations being tossed around by both candidates as I have attempted to do.

In the meantime, I'll continue to follow this aspect of the wildly flailing campaign and work toward bettering a political party I once admired before it became saturated with extremist elements such as Palin & Co. that have all but ruined it. That sir is my opinion and I do not care if you disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 07:44 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Please place in quotes here on this thread where I made any accusations about anything? Since I haven't actually accused anyone of anything, the premise to your post is baseless and hard to take serious. As to other people, I cannot, nor will I make any attempt to speak for anyone but myself.

I'll begin to take your accusations as serious when you also offer up a balanced rebuke of the many baseless and outlandish accusations being tossed around by both candidates as I have attempted to do.

In the meantime, I'll continue to follow this aspect of the wildly flailing campaign and work toward bettering a political party I once admired before it became saturated with extremist elements such as Palin & Co. that have all but ruined it. That sir is my opinion and I do not care if you disagree.
I didn't say you specifically, notice I stated the problem with those who made the claims and those who were ignoring my comment and continuing to go off like it was true. I stated those people were as stupid as they come. I did not say you, I notice you have been fairly reserved in your acceptance of this information to an extent, so this to be honest has nothing to do with you specifically. I was speaking generally and those people who did as I claim know who they are. They are also not the ones arguing with me. Which brings me to the question, why do you defend them? Is not a person who takes the word of another on these issues without verifying them and then continues to spread those issues basically stupid? Well, that I guess it could be "argued" as to what they were specifically (mislead, manipulated, etc...), but you get my point do you not?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 PM

167 posts, read 453,404 times
I grew up with Batman, Lone Ranger and Tonto, Wonder Woman, Superman, The Green Hornet, etc. The good guy always wins. This is how I feel about this Presidential Race. The Evil Doers at first come out ahead but in the end they lose.

It doesn't surprise me that in McCain's campaign we hear the words, "Whack Job" and "Diva". It reminds me of the wicked witch melting and sprewing out evil names, sizzle*sizzle*. The blame game now is directed within and not Obama's or Clinton's fault.

My friends, the good guy always comes out ahead. The evil doers will just have to regroup and we will hear from you sometime within the next 4 years.

Us good guys and gals willl just have to be ready for these evil doers to slither out from their hole and be prepared to stop them. We will restore authority, respect and dignity once again and our reputation and leadership throughout the world.

YES< YES!!! OBAMA WILL BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:15 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasulady View Post
I grew up with Batman, Lone Ranger and Tonto, Wonder Woman, Superman, The Green Hornet, etc. The good guy always wins. This is how I feel about this Presidential Race. The Evil Doers at first come out ahead but in the end they lose.

It doesn't surprise me that in McCain's campaign we hear the words, "Whack Job" and "Diva". It reminds me of the wicked witch melting and sprewing out evil names, sizzle*sizzle*. The blame game now is directed within and not Obama's or Clinton's fault.

My friends, the good guy always comes out ahead. The evil doers will just have to regroup and we will hear from you sometime within the next 4 years.

Us good guys and gals willl just have to be ready for these evil doers to slither out from their hole and be prepared to stop them. We will restore authority, respect and dignity once again and our reputation and leadership throughout the world.

YES< YES!!! OBAMA WILL BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT!!!
Correct.

And yes, Palin is a whack job. Supersized.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:22 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
Quote:
I don't care what side says it, but a lot of the claims can be evaluated. The Obama claims can be weighted to see which is assumption and which is fact. The Palin claims can be done the same way.

When someone makes claims like this when there is no proof, not leads to follow, not even a remote amount of evidence to even possibly support it, what are we to do other than treat is as nothing more than slander, pure and simple.

Now I could see some people saying "well, if this is true, that is interesting", but to go on like people are here already accepting the information as fact and then building off that to continue support for their position is without a doubt completely and utterly stupid.
I absolutely agree that everything can be weighed and I don't give full credit to this whack job comment since we don't know who said it or how close they are to her. However, it gets some 'thats interesting' points from me because there are a growing amount of comments that keep leaking out. Smoke, fire and all that.

And people on here accept all sorts of info as true whether it is or not - on both sides of the aisle. That's not even up for dispute.

Last edited by SGrey; 10-28-2008 at 08:33 PM..

Old 10-28-2008, 08:27 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
I didn't say you specifically, notice I stated the problem with those who made the claims and those who were ignoring my comment and continuing to go off like it was true. I stated those people were as stupid as they come. I did not say you, I notice you have been fairly reserved in your acceptance of this information to an extent, so this to be honest has nothing to do with you specifically. I was speaking generally and those people who did as I claim know who they are. They are also not the ones arguing with me. Which brings me to the question, why do you defend them? Is not a person who takes the word of another on these issues without verifying them and then continues to spread those issues basically stupid? Well, that I guess it could be "argued" as to what they were specifically (mislead, manipulated, etc...), but you get my point do you not?
It is very seldom in which I defend anyone's positions on any given subject here on this forum. Each member has a right to express their opinions and beliefs, no matter how ridiculous or absurd you or I may think they are, as long as they are confined to the framework of this forum's rules.

If someone wishes to claim the moon is made of cheese or the earth is hollow or the earth revolves around the sun, who am I to say they should or should not believe it?

I will however defend their right to express these views even those I wholly disagree with. Even the Supreme Court has ruled that our news media needs not print truth and fact in the stories they present to the public. Should this forum be held to a higher standard than that which is set by the Supreme Court for the news media?

When I scan the first 500 threads of this forum, there are many in which cause me to take pause, shake my head in utter disbelief that someone would actually believe such things. Many of them little more than opinion, rumor, guesswork, assumptions, predictions, and idle banter. So, I exercise my right and free will and avoid reading them unless an issue arises that needs my attention.

This issue here with a McCain senior adviser calling Palin a whack job is a topic that is still based in much rumor, little evidence, but is still emerging as we speak from a variety of sources.

Do you recall the recent event about the campaign supporter who cut her own face? Within 3 minutes of the original posting here on this forum, it was assumed it was an Obama supporter who committed this act. A number of those same people who made that claim now post here claiming no one should pay attention to this rumor. Each persons views are there own.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:29 PM

174 posts, read 626,612 times
Funny I said the same thing about that bozo about two months ago

Old 10-28-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I absolutely agree that everything can be weighed and I don't give full credit to this whack job comment since we don't know who said it or how close they are to her. However, it gets some 'thats interesting' points from me because there are a growing amount of comments that keep leaking out. Smoke, fire and all that.

And people on here accept all sorts of info as true whether it is or not - on both sides of the aisle. That's not even up for dispute.

Last but not least I have a minor quibble that this board is driving me Nuts on and you just proved to send me into the stomping fit tonight so know that my grumping is not directed at you as much as it might seem otherwise. It's libel. Libel, libel, libel. When we're talking about print media lies, purposeful errors, etc it is libel not slander.
lol, I understand the libel comment, I know, but most people look at you funny when you use it and have no clue what you are talking about. Libel is written, slander is spoken, I know, but sometimes just getting people to understand the most basic of concepts is trying at best, so I try to keep it as simple as I can in that respect. Heck, I could go into If P, then Q, P, so Q on the logic but many would probably give me blank stares.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
As Mr McCain mounted what was effectively a last stand here in Pennsylvania, where he is banking on a surprise victory to rob Barack Obama of a presidential contest now within his grasp,

It sure as heck will be a big surprise if it happens. Pennsylvania does not have a reputation of being a "red" state to begin with.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
It is very seldom in which I defend anyone's positions on any given subject here on this forum. Each member has a right to express their opinions and beliefs, no matter how ridiculous or absurd you or I may think they are, as long as they are confined to the framework of this forum's rules.

If someone wishes to claim the moon is made of cheese or the earth is hollow or the earth revolves around the sun, who am I to say they should or should not believe it?
Who are you to claim so? Well, personally I would say you would be a person who is informed and by pointing out the flaws of their claim you might actually improve someones knowledge on the issue. Maybe we have different approaches, but I think when a person is stupid and it is obvious, you should point it out and smack them in the head with the stupid bat. That way, they just might think a bit before they spout off with their claims.

Quote:
I will however defend their right to express these views even those I wholly disagree with. Even the Supreme Court has ruled that our news media needs not print truth and fact in the stories they present to the public. Should this forum be held to a higher standard than that which is set by the Supreme Court for the news media?
I think all of us have a responsibility to lesson the spread of gossip. To combat lies with truth. People have the freedom to speak as they choose, but they are not free of criticism to their claims. If a person is free to say what they like, then anyone is free to comment on the validity of what they say. We aren't talking about subjective issues in many of these threads, but ones that can be quantified and verified to their validity. Those who ignore the facts and continue to speak in opposition to them should be called out for what they are, which is either a liar or ignorant.

As for the Supreme Courts Ruling, I kind of disagree with it in many ways. I understand that it is meant to avoid infringement on the freedom of the press, but at the same time, the press should take responsibilty for its claims. If a source can not be named and the evidence can not be verified, it should not be reported. Otherwise ANY claim can be made, any accusation can be made and then the media turns into nothing more than self interested party in a position. Something all too many people think can not happen. Too many people believe the news is supposed to be the reporting of the issues, not a personal slant of them.

Quote:
When I scan the first 500 threads of this forum, there are many in which cause me to take pause, shake my head in utter disbelief that someone would actually believe such things. Many of them little more than opinion, rumor, guesswork, assumptions, predictions, and idle banter. So, I exercise my right and free will and avoid reading them unless an issue arises that needs my attention.

This issue here with a McCain senior adviser calling Palin a whack job is a topic that is still based in much rumor, little evidence, but is still emerging as we speak from a variety of sources.

Do you recall the recent event about the campaign supporter who cut her own face? Within 3 minutes of the original posting here on this forum, it was assumed it was an Obama supporter who committed this act. A number of those same people who made that claim now post here claiming no one should pay attention to this rumor. Each persons views are there own.
Yes, there are a lot of claims on this forum that are nothing more than garbage you would expect from a teenage blog.

As for the Obama incident, I saw two approaches. The immediate claim that it was false and the immediate support that it was true. Both sides were full of garbage. Now keep in mind I am not saying that the discussion was wrong by those who "questioned", but many were the same old song and dance of deny, deny, deny. On the flip side yes, there were those who ate it up hook, line and sinker.

Thats the problem though, people aren't approaching any of this as a matter of intelligent question. Most are looking for the next "I gotcha" that they can rub into the face of the other side.

Few are taking the wait and see stance with this issue, but even then, this topic has nothing to even remotely support its claim. Its pure accusation with no evidence, none, not even a remote link. It is much like the Bush story where they claimed an aid heard Bush say something along the lines that the constitution was just a peice of paper. It was never verified, never backed up, and yet this claim is still widely supported by the left as accurate and truth.

Even when the evidence comes out, people here (on both sides often) twist the words until they are at complete odds with the facts. I will if I can on the issues I understand and am informed on call people on them. I will force them to back up what they say. Freedom comes with responsibilty and people here treat the freedom of speech like it is a open door to make up whatever they like. While they are free to say as they wish, I am also free to point out the idiocy of their claims. I make no apologies, I make no excuses. If I see stupid, I will treat it as stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections