Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 06:03 PM

355 posts, read 558,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
This is the key sentence, they had it ALREADY. The government did not give it to them. Drug companies run studies like this all the time, it is far different from accusing the government of infecting them on purpose.
It is not different. They could have been healed. Are you saying that it is ok to withhold medical treatment? Ethically withholding treatment is less wrong than infecting someone? wow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 06:08 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,465,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFoster View Post
It is not different. They could have been healed. Are you saying that it is ok to withhold medical treatment? Ethically withholding treatment is less wrong than infecting someone? wow

Oh no it is VERY different. Was the government deceptive I don't know but saying that the government invented a disease to kill off minorities is NOT the same as the link you posted.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:04 AM

355 posts, read 558,294 times
Quote:
Oh no it is VERY different. Was the government deceptive I don't know but saying that the government invented a disease to kill off minorities is NOT the same as the link you posted.
Are you saying that the betrayal of trust is different if the disease already existed? The men were chosen for this study because of their race. Ethically it is no different. The men were given placibos intentionally. It wasn't a mistake, it wasn't from lack of oversight. The actions of the people running the study were ethically and morally wrong. There is no difference morally between using a disease that already exists and a new disease.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:07 AM

493 posts, read 722,013 times
Some of you act like the government doesn't have their own secrets. Why is it so surprising that the government would be behind anything underhanded? What is in area 51? Where is the transparency? What if the government experiments without our knowledge? I mean we really don't always know what and who to believe and if someone believes such things because of past circumstances, they have every right to believe it! Maybe there is something to what Rev. Wright said... Maybe Senator Obama can find out once he becomes president and maybe that is just ONE extra reason for not wanting him in there and pulling everything out of the book to try and keep him out... Just a thought!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFoster View Post
Are you saying that the betrayal of trust is different if the disease already existed? The men were chosen for this study because of their race. Ethically it is no different. The men were given placibos intentionally. It wasn't a mistake, it wasn't from lack of oversight. The actions of the people running the study were ethically and morally wrong. There is no difference morally between using a disease that already exists and a new disease.
YES! It is very different then purposely inventing a disease to destroy minorities. VERY different. Is what they did ethically right? Probably not but what Wright suggested was very different. Drug companies in studies do the same thing. Some patients get a placebo and some get the real drug they have no idea which group is getting what, this done all the time.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
Some of you act like the government doesn't have their own secrets. Why is it so surprising that the government would be behind anything underhanded? What is in area 51? Where is the transparency? What if the government experiments without our knowledge? I mean we really don't always know what and who to believe and if someone believes such things because of past circumstances, they have every right to believe it! Maybe there is something to what Rev. Wright said... Maybe Senator Obama can find out once he becomes president and maybe that is just ONE extra reason for not wanting him in there and pulling everything out of the book to try and keep him out... Just a thought!

Yes because Obama has special powers that every other President did not. Please the man IS a man NOT a God.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 AM

472 posts, read 876,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
Him attending an anti american church for 20 years is not an issue???

I'm agnostic... I consider some Evangelical churches with divisive sermon's anti American. But that wouldn't stop me from voting for the better 'leader'.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:35 AM

493 posts, read 722,013 times
Quote:
Yes because Obama has special powers that every other President did not. Please the man IS a man NOT a God.
You're missing my point! This country has a history of wrong doing and has never had a minority in office! If there was any wrongdoing against minorities and it's documented for where only the President will have access to, he might expose that! If that's the case, I know there are people trying to deep clean house and work as hard as they can to keep him out!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnymonty View Post
I'm agnostic... I consider some Evangelical churches with divisive sermon's anti American. But that wouldn't stop me from voting for the better 'leader'.
Ok pretend Wright worked for Obama for 20 years and Obama never fired him for his views, would that be ok with you?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:42 AM

387 posts, read 681,313 times
Curious that no one talked about Romney's church's belief that black people carry the mark of Satan and Native-American tribes are lost tribes of Israel who went astray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections