Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 02:41 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,149,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclad View Post
Blacks didn't often capture blacks and sell them to Arab traders? You DO realize it STILL happens in the Sudan today? Now as far as your ASSumptions, that michelle has a big un.
Still don't know what that has to do with Wright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 02:47 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,500,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclad View Post
Blacks didn't often capture blacks and sell them to Arab traders? You DO realize it STILL happens in the Sudan today? Now as far as your ASSumptions, that michelle has a big un.
What does this have to do with the topic we're discussing (Wright), or the impact of racial science on the United States?

Old 10-28-2008, 03:18 PM

355 posts, read 555,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Really so the government invented AIDS to kill minorities? and you agree with that? Well that speaks volumes about you.
There is precident for his belief. The Tuskegge Syphillis Experiment.

"For forty years between 1932 and 1972, the U.S. Public Health Service (PHS) conducted an experiment on 399 black men in the late stages of syphilis. These men, for the most part illiterate sharecroppers from one of the poorest counties in Alabama, were never told what disease they were suffering from or of its seriousness. Informed that they were being treated for “bad blood,” their doctors had no intention of curing them of syphilis at all.

The data for the experiment was to be collected from autopsies of the men, and they were thus deliberately left to degenerate under the ravages of tertiary syphilis—which can include tumors, heart disease, paralysis, blindness, insanity, and death. “As I see it,” one of the doctors involved explained, “we have no further interest in these patients until they die.”

Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment

I don't believe his statement about AID's but I can understand his distrust of the government.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:20 PM

745 posts, read 1,299,133 times
Quote:
There is a HUGE difference. The American way is the way America believes things should be done. You can not agree and not be unamerican. Example: Obama thinks taxing the heck out of us is a good thing for America and is in his view "the American way" but I disagree now that does not mean I think he is unAmerican for thinking this. Hope that helps.
Thank you for the clarification. I agree for the most part, except that I'm not sure there is or ever has been much consensus on the way things should be done. But, I suppose that's why we strive for a more perfect union, not a perfect one.

Quote:

I am not willing to give the benefit of the doubt to a Pastor that lies. He lied plain and simple. That is wrong.
I cannot dispute your judgement. I simply choose to judge not lest I be judged. I will assume that he, for whatever reason, believes these things to be true, however misguided.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:30 PM

355 posts, read 555,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Did Obama sit in their churches for 20 years? Didn't think so. You lose with the lamest excuse used.
Not lame. If Obama and Rev Wright were white there wouldn't be an issue. Proof? Is anyone talking about Palin's preacher? Some of his beliefs are pretty hateful as has been well documented. McCain changed his position on some issues inorder to get Hagee's endorsement. Hagee's anti american hateful sermans are also well documented. Yet, are we talking about them? No. Is it ok to be hateful if you are republican but not if you are liberal? As far as the serman everyone is talking about, give me a break, it's not nearly as hostile as what we are hearing from religious extremists today.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:34 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,519,908 times

King James of Scotland, who came to power in 1603, called the Hampton Court Conference in order to work out a compromise with English Puritans and to unite the feuding religious factions. The outcome was the commissioning of a new authorized version of the Bible (published in 1611) that would satisfy all parties; the version became known as the King James Bible. Much of the language used hearkens back to Tyndale's translation. This new Bible made Tyndale's words central to Protestantism in the English-speaking world thereafter.

Those Puritans who were not satisfied with the compromise (they accepted the new translation, but could not accept the structure of the Anglican Church) left England, settling in the American colonies but bringing with them the King James version of the Bible. Its language -- and with it the words and ideas of Wycliffe, Tyndale, Cranmer, and the other pioneering translators of Scripture -- would be woven into the fabric of the new nation.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/prev...ble/index.html

Old 10-28-2008, 03:34 PM

745 posts, read 1,299,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFoster View Post
Not lame. If Obama and Rev Wright were white there wouldn't be an issue. Proof? Is anyone talking about Palin's preacher? Some of his beliefs are pretty hateful as has been well documented. McCain changed his position on some issues inorder to get Hagee's endorsement. Hagee's anti american hateful sermans are also well documented. Yet, are we talking about them? No. Is it ok to be hateful if you are republican but not if you are liberal? As far as the serman everyone is talking about, give me a break, it's not nearly as hostile as what we are hearing from religious extremists today.
Good point.

For those who are upset by Wright blaming problems on white people, is it equally upsetting that Palin's preacher blamed his community's problems on witches and ran them out of town? And then exorcised demons?

If it's offensive to say, as Wright did, that 9/11 was a result of the US's foreign policy, is it not as offensive to blame 9/11 on the US acceptance of homosexuals?

Old 10-28-2008, 04:15 PM

493 posts, read 718,731 times
Quote:

"For forty years between 1932 and 1972, the U.S. Public Health Service (PHS) conducted an experiment on 399 black men in the late stages of syphilis. These men, for the most part illiterate sharecroppers from one of the poorest counties in Alabama, were never told what disease they were suffering from or of its seriousness. Informed that they were being treated for “bad blood,” their doctors had no intention of curing them of syphilis at all.

The data for the experiment was to be collected from autopsies of the men, and they were thus deliberately left to degenerate under the ravages of tertiary syphilis—which can include tumors, heart disease, paralysis, blindness, insanity, and death. “As I see it,” one of the doctors involved explained, “we have no further interest in these patients until they die.”

I don't believe his statement about AID's but I can understand his distrust of the government.
Thank you!

Old 10-28-2008, 05:27 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,448,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I quoted a sermon that Rev. Wright gave in 1990, so, I believe it has quite a lot of bearing on what Rev. Wright 'said.'
As for the 'lies', what one person believes in their heart is not a 'lie.' It may be far-fetched or silly or any number of other things, but, it is not a 'lie.'

The fact is that a lot of people believe that AIDs was created to attack certain populations. I'm not saying that they are right, but, a lot of people believe that the moon landing took place on a back lot in Hollywood too:

Evidence Supports Reverand Wright's Claim That AIDS Was Created By The Government | Justanothercoverup.com
About Rev. Jeremiah Wright’s AIDS Comment « Think On These Things

Bill Maher thinks that anyone who believes in God/Jesus is mentally ill. While I don't agree with his opinion, I don't believe it to be a 'lie.'

Furthermore, I defend his and everyone else's right to express their opinions as they see fit.

That IS the American Way.

His view is fine, if he believes it fine my problem comes back to the fact that Obama stayed for 20 years so I have to believe that he to believes the vicious things Wright says. As for the link I am sorry but it is no better then the ones saying Bush caused 9/11. I want cold hard facts and this is nothing but conspiracy theories.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:32 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,448,476 times
Quote:

This is the key sentence, they had it ALREADY. The government did not give it to them. Drug companies run studies like this all the time, it is far different from accusing the government of infecting them on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections