Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:48 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,612 times

Advertisements

Listen to what King said about the Vietnam War at his own Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta on Feb. 4, 1968: "God didn't call America to engage in a senseless, unjust war.... And we are criminals in that war. We've committed more war crimes almost than any nation in the world, and I'm going to continue to say it. And we won't stop it because of our pride and our arrogance as a nation. But God has a way of even putting nations in their place." King then predicted this response from the Almighty: "And if you don't stop your reckless course, I'll rise up and break the backbone of your power."

Isnt that what Wright had said??

I dare anyone to attack MLK LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 06:06 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
Listen to what King said about the Vietnam War at his own Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta on Feb. 4, 1968: "God didn't call America to engage in a senseless, unjust war.... And we are criminals in that war. We've committed more war crimes almost than any nation in the world, and I'm going to continue to say it. And we won't stop it because of our pride and our arrogance as a nation. But God has a way of even putting nations in their place." King then predicted this response from the Almighty: "And if you don't stop your reckless course, I'll rise up and break the backbone of your power."

Isnt that what Wright had said??

Is this your defense of the right Rev Wright???

Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Is this your defense of the right Rev Wright???
i defend the right to be angry !!! Its fashionable with all the "anger management mumble jumble".

Anger is a underused and condemned emotion that when bottled up , errupts catastrophically on nightly news, often associated with guns

Old 03-21-2008, 06:28 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
It's not about attacking anyone. MLK was a great man who did many great things and fought for civil rights. His accomplishments are part of American history. If he made the comments you quoted, then it does illustrate that he had some political opinions that I disagree with, but you also have to look at his world and the context of the comments.

Black people in this country were dicriminated against legally and openly, MLK and his followers were beaten and jailed in Alabama, and the world was a different place. Does that excuse anti-American comments, not really, but it is a MUCH different situation from Wright's. To compare the two is not a valid comparison.

EDIT: BTW, Wright is a racist and an anti-American. He has the legal right to espouse those views, but he also has the burden of being called on them, as does Obama, who has attended his church and been his friend for 20 years.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:40 AM

7,936 posts, read 9,160,764 times
Did MLK hump the altar while saying it too?

Old 03-21-2008, 09:44 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,375,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
EDIT: BTW, Wright is a racist and an anti-American. He has the legal right to espouse those views, but he also has the burden of being called on them, as does Obama, who has attended his church and been his friend for 20 years.
Obama has been called on them, and has responded to those accusations by clearly stating that he rejects Wright's comments.

Next.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:19 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
It has notihng to do with if wright has the right to say what he said;its Obama's judgement for a long time assocation with wright. If MLK said that he was also wrong IMO.Especially about the war crime;but then he isn't singling out white america in a racist rant like wright.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:21 AM

texdav, you're faulting Obama based on a few short out-of-context words out of entire sermons given by someone else while ignoring what Obama himself said about those words.

Does that really seem rational to you? Or were you already opposed to Obama to begin with and you're just using these out-of-context sound bites to justify your loathing?

Old 03-21-2008, 10:24 AM

7,936 posts, read 9,160,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Obama has been called on them, and has responded to those accusations by clearly stating that he rejects Wright's comments.

Next.
I would clarify that slightly: Obama verbally rejects those statements, but maintains a physical presence in the company of the person who said them.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I would clarify that slightly: Obama verbally rejects those statements, but maintains a physical presence in the company of the person who said them.
That's not clarification, thats obfuscation. You really need to see the Wright quotes in context to see why they aren't a major part of his message over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections