Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 06:12 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
He did not say women's health issues were not important!!

He might as well have..using those air quotes, which are nothing more than dismissive gestures. Apparently McCain doesn't care about the health of women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 06:17 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
He might as well have..using those air quotes, which are nothing more than dismissive gestures. Apparently McCain doesn't care about the health of women.

McCain pays the women on his staff more than the men. He also has more women on his staff. Obama threw women under the bus on that deal.....

Old 10-17-2008, 06:17 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
See, Joe's question was not the problem. Joe's past is not the problem. Whether he has a license is not the problem.

The problem is Obama's answer - "spreading the wealth".

Obama knows it, the media knows it and the insane Left knows it. So now they must do what is necessary to destroy Joe's credibility in hopes that the electorate will forget the comment "spreading the wealth".

They are trying to deflect and distract away from the real problem.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:19 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
About about Capital gain? almost everybody in the 250k have capital gains. Also I dont like the idea of getting my money and giving it to people that dont pay any tax.
According to Obama in his conversation with Joe the Plumber, he wouldn't tax his capital gains, Obama even said that if the Joe's business did well enough, he might save more on the capital gains then he would be taxed with the extra 3%.

I don't like giving my money to people who don't pay any tax either. I got money back twice when my husband and I were poor. While we were so broke I was delighted to receive it, it felt more like winning the lottery than getting money I actually deserved. Now we are on the other end, and paying PLENTY.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:19 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
100% correct.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:20 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The problem is Obama's answer - "spreading the wealth".
But that's not the problem.

As I mentioned before in a previous post or maybe this one (I think I was answering you too then, actually), the answer is only a problem for people who already weren't going to vote for Obama.

For those of us who are voting for Obama, we agree with his policies so his answer isn't a problem at all.

So nothing has changed.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:21 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
McCain pays the women on his staff more than the men. He also has more women on his staff. Obama threw women under the bus on that deal.....
You've mentioned this before. A lot. As a woman, I don't believe tossing money toward women means you care about their welfare. There's a lot more to a woman's welfare than that. Like her body, among other things.

This argument really doesn't show caring of women at all, frankly.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:35 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
First is 4%, not 3%.
and that is not the end...
And 4% is not 900, is 10k
where did you get the 900??
What I heard---36% to 39%, ONLY on the income above 250k.

so if you assume 280k. the amount over 250k is 30k.

3% of 30k is $900.

Therefore, an extra $900

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Glady

The real problem is everything we bring in, is counted as "pass-through" income. We have very little overhead, so basically everything goes back out as salary to four of us(with a generous cut to Uncle Sam every quarter). With our setup, we have to pay as if one entity made all the revenue. It is a nasty little loophole. Obviously McCains' proposal of dropping it to 25% would make a substantial difference in our take home pay.
We brought in almost 400k in revenue last year (not this year though as we are building inspectors...and the market is not in our favor currently lol)
Current plan we approximately paid $136,000 of that money to taxes. Split that four ways and that is $34,000 a piece we did not get to bring home.
This is just simple math, and we do have deductions that reduce the amount, but it is still a very significant number we pay.
Obama's claim of 98% of small business taking in less than 250k a year is absolutely fraudulent. As Mark Twain said about the types of lies..."Lies, damned lies and statistics".

http://http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/12/AR2008081202849.html

The above is from a newspaper that endorses Obama.

Hmm. So are you saying that basically you are charged at the same tax rate as an INDIVIDUAL making 400k? (who is obviously in a higher tax bracket than someone making 1/4 of 400k)?

Yes, sounds like the shaft to me. I would have guessed that the employees would be paid, the overhead would be paid, then the rest would be taxed as "profit". You are saying it doesn't go this way? Let me ask you this, so you bring in 400k, pay out 136k in taxes, leaving 264k to be paid to the four of you. Do you take that amount home free and clear or do you have to pay additional tax on it?

We also got kind of screwed when it came to some Self Employment income my husband had. He was moonlighting and paid as a 1099 and let me tell you, there were NO expenses other than mileage on his car, a portion of the excise tax, and a portion of the cell phone. This did not amount to much. It was horrendous. I am so glad he is not being paid that way anymore. Just the schedule of when to pay the quarterly payments was a nightmare. He hadn't even gotten paid yet and our payments were due. It was very annoying.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:42 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
A great interview with Joe the plumber today on "Morning Joe" on MSNBC and what he thinks of Obama.
Does NOT like Obama's plan and will not vote for Obama, but will vote for Mccain.
I think this will really help Mccain because Joe explained so well what damage Obama, if given the chance, will ruin small business.
I hope Mccain uses him in an ad.
Let's see how Obama slashes him, and he will.
Indeed, he did! Shamelessly so! I'm just amazed that Obama's arrogance and ego can prevent him from seeing that statements such as "Does a plumber represent YOU?" are really condescending to the working class! Moreover, Obama and Co.'s stupid claims that "McCain should have vetted Joe the Plumber" are over-the-top.

First off, Obama went to the neighborhood Joe lives in. Joe didn't seek him out or lie in wait to trap him! Joe simply asked him a question, the media jumped on the answer, and the process propelled Joe into the national spotlight. McCain picked up Joe's question/the response because it is, indeed, relevant. Now, Obama and philes think that trashing Joe is "cool."

So, is this meant to keep average people from asking questions? Are the pro-Obama media trying to shut up the Joes of the world just because they ask questions the media won't? And could we expect that an Obama administration would hold people who question them in contempt and seek to suppress and trash average people?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:45 PM

260 posts, read 573,226 times
McCain because he walks softly and carries a big stick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections