Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:00 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
He doesn't have the ba--s to stand up to his own racist pastor, how is he going to stand up against much tougher and smarter enemies?
He wont end any war, he knows himself we have to stay until the job is done. He is just telling you that line of bull. Can you see him taking the heat if he ends the war prematurely and it causes nothing but problems? He won't allow that to happen so we will not be ending any war.
Maybe he will go to his pastor for guidance on what to do?
How can we trust this man now that we all know he lied to us?
He is in no position to talk about trust.
Yet Hillary trusts Bill. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:04 PM

510 posts, read 1,459,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Yet Hillary trusts Bill. Go figure.
I thought this thread was about Obama and the War?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
I thought this thread was about Obama and the War?
Well, since someone gave you the answer and you deflected,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET
Now, to be fair to Obama, I did read that the main aspect of his plan was to withdraw 1 brigade per month until all the americans were out.

However, that will take time and leave our remaining troops in one hell of a pickle.

Sunvixen: That is true, and if it's YOUR son or daughter left toward the end? Imagine being that parent? While I was never a big fan of McCain, we should have listend to him earlier about the surge.

I figured you weren't serious.

Thus, the Trust Issue.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:42 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Barack Obama suggested Wednesday that Hillary Rodham Clinton could not be trusted to end the Iraq war because she only started opposing it when she began her bid for president.

Townhall.com::The News::News Article (http://www.townhall.com/news/politics-elections/2008/03/19/obama_trust_me_to_end_the_war - broken link)
In 85 votes regarding the war, they have only voted differently 1 time - that was on nominating a general.

Quote:
During the 2004 Democratic Party convention, Obama declined to criticize the party’s presidential nominee, Sen. John Kerry, for having voted for the war, saying: “What would I have done? I don’t know. What I know is that from my vantage point the case was not made.”
The next day, Obama told the Chicago Tribune: “There’s not that much difference between my position and George Bush’s position at this stage.”
And that November, Obama echoed the president, telling PBS’ Charlie Rose: “Once we go in, then we’re committed.” Obama added: “We’ve got to do everything we can to stabilize the country to make it successful because we’ll have too much at stake in the Middle East.”
Obama’s Opposition to Iraq War, Once Firm, Sometimes Has Wavered - America’s Election HQ

Thanks again Sooner!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:43 PM

357 posts, read 890,891 times
Obama has put forth a fairly substantive plan as far as ending the war in Iraq. I would urge you all to read it. Here is a link to his World Beyond Iraq plan. Here is the video of his 3/19/08 speech on ending the war in Iraq. Here is the transcript of that same speech.

To summarize, as President, Barack Obama will:
Redeploy American Troops to Afghanistan: Barack Obama will deploy at least an additional two brigades (7,000 personnel) of rested, trained American troops to Afghanistan to reinforce our counter-terrorism operations and support NATO’s efforts to fight the Taliban.
Strengthen NATO’s Hand in Afghanistan: NATO currently has about 41,000 troops in Afghanistan. However, the force is short-staffed and some countries contributing forces are imposing restrictions on where their troops can operate, tying the hands of commanders on the ground. As president, Obama will work with European allies to end these burdensome restrictions and strengthen NATO as a fighting force.
Train and Equip the Afghan Army and Police: Barack Obama will strengthen the training and equipping of the Afghan army and police and increase Afghan participation in U.S. and NATO missions, so that there is
more of an Afghan face on security.
Increase Non-Military Aid to Afghanistan by $1 billion: To prevent the country’s backsliding into chaos, Barack Obama would increase U.S. non-military aid to Afghanistan to $3 billion. This aid would fund
reconstruction, police and army training, embassy operations, and local projects including efforts to impact the lives of ordinary Afghans and to give farmers alternatives to growing opium poppies. The aid would also be tied to better performance by the Afghan national government, including anti-corruption initiatives and efforts to extend the rule of law across the country.
Strike Al Qaeda: Last summer, Barack Obama was criticized for challenging conventional thinking and saying that as president, if he had actionable intelligence about the whereabouts of al Qaeda leaders in Pakistan--and the Pakistanis cannot or will not act--then he will use highly targeted force to do so. At the time, Senator Clinton said Obama’s statement was a “very big mistake.” Over the last few months, the wisdom behind Clinton’s assertion was called into question as the Central Intelligence Agency successfully took out senior al Qaeda leader Abu Laith al Libi, in North Waziristan, Pakistan, in January.

---

There is a clear contrast between Barack Obama's thoughtful plan to end the war - realize their is no military solution, strengthen the Iraqi government, attack Al Qaeda with targeted force - and Hillary Clinton's 60-day withdrawal. John McCain has based his candidacy on the success of "the surge." What must be realized is that the surge is a tactical success, but a strategic nightmare! There is no military solution in Iraq, and we must shift our focus to providing the aid we can to protect the Iraqi citizens while exiting Iraq and attacking Al Qaeda where they are established.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 PM

510 posts, read 1,459,420 times
[quote=Yeledaf;3194665]Well, since someone gave you the answer and you deflected,

Quote:
Now, to be fair to Obama, I did read that the main aspect of his plan was to withdraw 1 brigade per month until all the americans were out.

However, that will take time and leave our remaining troops in one hell of a pickle.

Sunvixen: That is true, and if it's YOUR son or daughter left toward the end? Imagine being that parent? While I was never a big fan of McCain, we should have listend to him earlier about the surge.

Thus, the Trust Issue.[/quote]

I wasn't serious about WHAT? That it was McCain that wanted the surge or that I feel bad for the parents of soldiers?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 AM

[quote=Sunvixen;3195011]
Quote:
Well, since someone gave you the answer and you deflected,

Quote:

Thus, the Trust Issue.[/quote]

I wasn't serious about WHAT? That it was McCain that wanted the surge or that I feel bad for the parents of soldiers?
Why, about saynig Obama had no plan. I gave it to you (as have others) and you mumbled something about McCain and switched to sympathy for military families.

Don't get me wrong -- I don't blame you for running away from a topic when you get hammered for it. I would ask, however, that you not act indignant when called on it.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:39 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,614,478 times
He has a plan, but he doesn't have the guts to follow through with it.

Obama has lied to us before, so why should I trust his plan? Like it said in one of his speeches, "it's just words!"

He has proven to us all that he is a poor judgement of character so then why should we trust him when he chooses who to go to for advise on this issue?

I cannot trust this man with this war, he is not capable of being our commander in chief.

The right plan for us all is to continue this war and step up the surge even more so we can then end the war. We cannot walk away from this.

Polls are clearly showing more and more people are wanting us to continue the war so we can finish it with pride and a win, not a loss.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
He has a plan, but he doesn't have the guts to follow through with it.
Let's elect him and find out, shall we?

Quote:
Obama has lied to us before, so why should I trust his plan? Like it said in one of his speeches, "it's just words!"
1. Mr. Obama has never lied to me. I am sorry you have had a bad relationship with him. 2. Words are all we have as human beings. Would you prefer some other sounds?

Quote:
He has proven to us all that he is a poor judgement of character so then why should we trust him when he chooses who to go to for advise on this issue?
By marrying and ennabling a serial philanderer? I think you have him confused with another candidate.

Quote:
I cannot trust this man with this war, he is not capable of being our commander in chief.

The right plan for us all is to continue this war and step up the surge even more so we can then end the war. We cannot walk away from this.

Polls are clearly showing more and more people are wanting us to continue the war so we can finish it with pride and a win, not a loss.
Define "a win." I am sincerely interested in your answer.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 AM

357 posts, read 890,891 times
Quote:
Define "a win." I am sincerely interested in your answer.

This is a very interesting question indeed. Many Republican strategists are now worried that McCain's vague language on "winning" the war is leading many to question: "What exactly is a win in this situation!?"

If the McCain campaign does not do a better job of defining a victory, and giving a plan that can lead us to that victory, he will lose his long-stated edge in this election - the war in Iraq (which is now a secondary issue to the economy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections