Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 02:08 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,990,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Are you still stuck in 2009?

If you think a flat screen TV is a luxury, you are stuck in a time warp. .
I think they are stuck in 2002, it's a miracle they didn't say iPod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 08:48 AM

89,311 posts, read 45,042,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm not missing anything. State colleges are not that expensive if you are an instate student.
Many flagships are quite expensive.

For example COAs for instate students:

Penn State: $34,598/year
College of William and Mary (VA): $33,630/year
UC Berkeley: $32,646 /year
University of Vermont: $31,960/year
UIUC (IL): $30,336/year

Old 02-17-2016, 09:04 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,534,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Many flagships are quite expensive.

For example COAs for instate students:

Penn State: $34,598/year
College of William and Mary (VA): $33,630/year
UC Berkeley: $32,646 /year
University of Vermont: $31,960/year
UIUC (IL): $30,336/year
You are quoting room/board, books, etc above, as part of 'total cost' to attend.

Tuition only is much cheaper.

Penn State for tuition and fees: in-state $17,514 Out-of-state: $31,346

College William & Mary tuition and fees: In-state: $19,372 Out-of-state: $40,516

Univ CA-Berkeley tuition: in-state $13k Out-of-state: $27k

Univ Vermont tuition only: in-state $15,096 Out of state $38,160

UIUC(IL) tuition only: in-state $12,036 Out of state: $27,196

Old 02-17-2016, 09:07 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,477,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
No. It's my third time voting for President.

My girlfriend and most of my friends are leaning towards Sanders because we have a lot of debt from college so we are hoping he becomes President.
It won't be free. Nothing is free. It blows my mind your generation is falling for this.

The cost will be collected through high taxes and other means. Go to Canada and see what they pay for everyday items.

For example, a case of cheap domestic beer is close to $50.

Let that sink in.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:00 PM

89,311 posts, read 45,042,699 times
Quote:
You are quoting room/board, books, etc above, as part of 'total cost' to attend.

Tuition only is much cheaper.

Penn State for tuition and fees: in-state $17,514 Out-of-state: $31,346

College William & Mary tuition and fees: In-state: $19,372 Out-of-state: $40,516

Univ CA-Berkeley tuition: in-state $13k Out-of-state: $27k

Univ Vermont tuition only: in-state $15,096 Out of state $38,160

UIUC(IL) tuition only: in-state $12,036 Out of state: $27,196
What's your point? Bernie's plan doesn't pay for all those other expenses (room/board, books, living/travel expenses, etc.) which when combined are higher than tuition. Bernie supporters plan on paying for all those other costs, how?

Old 02-18-2016, 03:39 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,452,783 times
I'm fine with free college for those who score in the top 1% on the SAT/ACT and maintain a B average in colleges where the average grade is C.

Last edited by dechatelet; 02-18-2016 at 04:12 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Tell that to those who want to become doctors. Isn't college necessary to them. Honestly, they can't afford their loans. How about we just get rid of college all together
Doctors can afford to pay back their loans. They're not exactly poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Unfortunately Obama already gave you everything for free. All Sanders can do is give you money in addition to your free gas and housing and education.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This is something he may be able to get through congress and despite my staunch Republican/Libertarin roots totally support it. We have a generation that we have economically crippled with debt that prevents them from getting ahead or possibly even supporting a family. They have a future where 15% of their income is already spoken for - it is like a tithing to the government and banking industry. They aren't running around spending or investing as much money either. Someone pulled a cruel fast one on our young adults when they changed how the interest was computed on those non-dischargeable loans.
Interest on loans were in double digits when I went to college, and people normally graduated in 4 years, not 7.

You can live at home and do your first two years at a community college -- cost about $20 a unit.

The unemployment rate was in double-digits when I graduated.

Yeah, it was all so easy back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Also, free college, if done like some other countries would be limited to the top tier of graduating students.
Exactly. If you want to go to university for free in Europe, you better be at the very top of your class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The above is a very sad testiment to the state of US politics. People vote based not on what freedoms they can secure, but what treats they can secure.

This is why only property owners, vets, or active duty military should be able to vote. Everyone else is looking upon thier government as a piggy bank to be robbed.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Yeah seriously, we have to cut off SS and Medicare benefits as soon as seniors use up their (and their employers') contributions plus investment earnings thereon.

Mick
Those are insurance programs that seniors have paid into, not welfare programs. If you get more than you put in, you win. If you get less, you lose. There are plenty of people who pay and never get any benefits because they die young. By the way, why do you hate old people? Because too many of them are white and created this great country for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Such as? Are we going back 30 years to Bork? He had legitimate issues - 6 Republicans voted against him. Not the same and you know it, sir.

Ginsburg (smoking MJ with students) and Miers (consensus: not qualified) withdrew themselves from consideration.
Duh. Obama filibustered Samuel Alito's nomination. How long ago was that? Dems are lying hypocrites. It's what they do.

Last edited by dechatelet; 02-18-2016 at 04:18 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
One of my sons was in college during this time of easy student loan money. He worked his way through his undergraduate studies, and between what he earned and what we (his parents) paid, he spent the first four years debt free. He took out a small loan to get through grad school, and between what he earned and what he borrowed, he got out of grad school with a small and manageable debt.

He lived off campus while in school and I visited on a number of occasions. He and his room-mates (and other friends of his that I met) lived much better than I did when I was in college back in the day. Most of his friends didn't have jobs. Most of them took more than four years to get a four year degree. A whole lot of parties, a whole lot of loan money, a whole lot of credit card use (credit card companies hit campus regularly). For most, there was no need to get a job and no pressure to get in and out of school as quickly as possible because they had plenty of borrowed money to live on.

When I was in school I was desperately poor and ate more Ramen Noodle, ham sandwiches on white bread, and frozen pink lemonade that I care to recall. Pretty much everyone I knew in school was poor and struggling.

Nobody put a gun to these kids heads and forced them to take out student loans. Nobody forced them to take more money than they needed. Nobody forced them to major in stupid sh*t where they had no chance of getting a job when they were done. Nobody forced them to get a credit card when they had no legitimate source of income. And now they don't want to pay back the money they willingly signed on the dotted line to get. Suck it up kiddies. It's your debt. You own it.
VERY well said.

I'm thinking of spending the later years of my retirement living on student loans.

I don't think there's an age limit for going to college or getting those loans any more.

I'll "party hardy" and run up a great big bill, getting degree after degree. Why not?

It's better than living on the pittance that social security pays.

Maybe I'll be a residence hall assistant, looking after the safety of the young 'uns.

LOL

Old 02-18-2016, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If a someone with more than $100K in student loans doesn't end up with a career that will allow that person to pay the loans off in a reasonable amount of time (pretty much a doctor), the individual over-borrowed and deserves whatever happens to him.
Exactly.

Quote:
Are you still stuck in 2009?

If you think a flat screen TV is a luxury, you are stuck in a time warp. If someone wants a TV, they get a flat screen TV. You can't buy the old fashioned tube TVs any more. In my area, Salvation Army and Goodwill won't even take a charity donation of an old fashioned tube TV.
I have three tube TVs and they work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
It won't be free. Nothing is free. It blows my mind your generation is falling for this.

The cost will be collected through high taxes and other means. Go to Canada and see what they pay for everyday items.

For example, a case of cheap domestic beer is close to $50.

Let that sink in.
It won't.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:19 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,314,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post

I have three tube TVs and they work just fine.
I also have three tube TVs in service (living room, daughter's room, camper) that suit my needs very well. I've also got a couple in reserve in case one gives up the ghost. VCRs, too.

If I had more space I'd pick up every freebie I see posted on Craigslist or setting by the curb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections