Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 08:30 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,437,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If the Republicans block a supreme court nominee for the next 11 months, then the Senate, House and Presidency might be Democrat controlled because the GOP will be jumping off a cliff. It's almost as bad as halting the government. This doesn't go over well with voters and they would vote out lots of Republicans in congress and pick a Democrat for president too. To stick it to the party that is causing obstructionism. It'd be pretty hard to try to blame Obama for an 11 month delay in approving Supreme Court nominee. It will backfire, guaranteed.
Well there are a lot of 'ifs' and 'mights' in this election on both sides.

If Sanders wins most of the primaries and Clinton gets the nomination anyway a lot of his supporters may stay home,vote third party,or even vote for the Republican in protest.If Sanders gets the nomination enough young voters may actually turnout to swing some congressional seats to the democrats.

I doubt that the Republicans will block a supreme court nominee,[and in about eight months we'll know whether a Democrat or Republican will be the next president.]The supreme court can carry on in the mean time and will already be more liberal slanted.New justices usually aren't seated super quickly anyway.
I think you may over estimate the level of concern the average voter feels concerning the supreme court.

If Trump wins most of the primaries and Republicans give the nod to say Bush a lot of his supporters may stay home or vote third party etc. giving the Democrats the whitehouse.

Trump may get the nomination and ensure the dems take the whitehouse.Cruz may get the nomination and guarantee that the dems take the whitehouse.Bush may get the nomination and guarantee the dems take the whitehouse.Bloomburg may run third party and guarantee the republicans take the whitehouse.Sanders may get the democratic nomination and guarantee the republicans take the whitehouse.Clinton may get the nomination and guarantee the republicans win the whitehouse.

Everyones an expert and and a prophet,everyone has a different opinion,everyone CAN'T be RIGHT.In November we shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 08:45 PM

7,654 posts, read 8,724,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Well there are a lot of 'ifs' and 'mights' in this election on both sides.

If
Interesting scenarios

Old 02-14-2016, 09:18 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,124,984 times
Even if Sanders is elected, there is no (as in 0) chance of Congress passing anything on his platform as Republicans control the House (who knows about the Senate after the election). So this exercise is fun but don't your hopes up about getting your 8 year old student loans forgiven (and if they were, you would owe a tax on the amount forgiven, all at once).

Mick

Old 02-14-2016, 09:29 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Even if Sanders is elected, there is no (as in 0) chance of Congress passing anything on his platform as Republicans control the House (who knows about the Senate after the election). So this exercise is fun but don't your hopes up about getting your 8 year old student loans forgiven (and if they were, you would owe a tax on the amount forgiven, all at once).

Mick
I don't even think he could get a lot of his ideas through a democratic controlled house and senate.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:30 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Serious question here. Thanks.
And will he pay me back for what I spent on my college 20 years ago?

Old 02-14-2016, 09:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,770,925 times
Quote:
Serious question here. Thanks.
Sorry, my crystal ball has cataracts.

But it is safe to say that a federal program is neither automatically begun upon the election of a new president, nor does an existing one just go away.

What will need to happen is that Sanders will propose a program to accomplish what he wants to accomplish, and then comes the necessary wheeling and dealing (including arm-twisting) with Congress to get the program enacted.

So if you vote for Sanders and he wins, you'll have to keep paying on your loans unless and until you are notified otherwise.

(You don't have a very firm grip on how elections work and on how presidents and congress work. Is this your first election?)

Old 02-14-2016, 09:42 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,423,176 times
Yeah the correct answer is neither.

The Senate might go to the Ds but the House will stay R majority due to gerrymandering.

This means Bernie doesn't have a chance in hell of passing any of his programs even if he wins.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:18 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,537,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Sorry, my crystal ball has cataracts.

But it is safe to say that a federal program is neither automatically begun upon the election of a new president, nor does an existing one just go away.

What will need to happen is that Sanders will propose a program to accomplish what he wants to accomplish, and then comes the necessary wheeling and dealing (including arm-twisting) with Congress to get the program enacted.

So if you vote for Sanders and he wins, you'll have to keep paying on your loans unless and until you are notified otherwise.

(You don't have a very firm grip on how elections work and on how presidents and congress work. Is this your first election?)
No. It's my third time voting for President.

My girlfriend and most of my friends are leaning towards Sanders because we have a lot of debt from college so we are hoping he becomes President.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:27 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,423,176 times
Quote:
No. It's my third time voting for President.

My girlfriend and most of my friends are leaning towards Sanders because we have a lot of debt from college so we are hoping he becomes President.
A lot of younger people are supporting Sanders, myself included. Just understand that he won't be getting rid of your debt.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:54 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,968,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You're allowed to vote?

Maybe you should hold off voting until you read the Constitution (which will answer your question).
And in your mind what will he find?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections