Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:00 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,777,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
No. It's my third time voting for President.

My girlfriend and most of my friends are leaning towards Sanders because we have a lot of debt from college so we are hoping he becomes President.
I hope that's not the only reason you support him.

Assuming he could get something through Congress - and that's a big if, because it is pretty unlikely that the House will go D - it is unlikely to be retroactive. If he did get Congress to agree to help with college funding, relief for already existing loans might be a future possibility.

I think it borders on criminal what has happened to federal college financing programs. My first year of college, 1966/67, I had a combo package of scholarship, a federal next-to-no-interest loan, and work-study. The debt was entirely manageable, and would have been forgiven completely if I had gone into teaching after college.

To my parents, the WWII/Depression generation, there were few things more important than providing a decent education for their kids. They paid to build many, many schools, and supported government programs to make sure that any kid who wanted to go to college could afford it. And they were far from rich. IMV, it's shameful that so many people these days aren't willing to invest in education.

Getting back to where we once were will require a long-term political commitment and some pretty heavy lifting - from you. There's no automagical solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 11:49 PM

30,290 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Just pay the damn loans that you agreed to pay. If you didn't spend that money wisely, too bad, welcome to the real world. Sanders isn't going to get you squat, it will never get passed.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:50 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,224,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I hope that's not the only reason you support him.

Assuming he could get something through Congress - and that's a big if, because it is pretty unlikely that the House will go D - it is unlikely to be retroactive. If he did get Congress to agree to help with college funding, relief for already existing loans might be a future possibility.

I think it borders on criminal what has happened to federal college financing programs. My first year of college, 1966/67, I had a combo package of scholarship, a federal next-to-no-interest loan, and work-study. The debt was entirely manageable, and would have been forgiven completely if I had gone into teaching after college.

To my parents, the WWII/Depression generation, there were few things more important than providing a decent education for their kids. They paid to build many, many schools, and supported government programs to make sure that any kid who wanted to go to college could afford it. And they were far from rich. IMV, it's shameful that so many people these days aren't willing to invest in education.

Getting back to where we once were will require a long-term political commitment and some pretty heavy lifting - from you. There's no automagical solution.
That is the old model my friend. College is not necessary to succeed yet the lie continues. All these mental morons graduating and they can't get a job, can't afford they're loans. They have been scammed. So Bernie will fix all this, then what? He doesn't know how to create a single private sector job to employ the useful idiots. Government has never been the answer...

Old 02-15-2016, 12:06 AM

32,108 posts, read 15,101,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
That is the old model my friend. College is not necessary to succeed yet the lie continues.All these mental morons graduating and they can't get a job, can't afford they're loans. They have been scammed. So Bernie will fix all this, then what? He doesn't know how to create a single private sector job to employ the useful idiots. Government has never been the answer...
Tell that to those who want to become doctors. Isn't college necessary to them. Honestly, they can't afford their loans. How about we just get rid of college all together

Old 02-15-2016, 02:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Yeah the correct answer is neither.

The Senate might go to the Ds but the House will stay R majority due to gerrymandering.

This means Bernie doesn't have a chance in hell of passing any of his programs even if he wins.
The House and Senate right now is (R) and Obama got everything he wanted paid for in the most recent budget bill.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Just pay the damn loans that you agreed to pay. If you didn't spend that money wisely, too bad, welcome to the real world. Sanders isn't going to get you squat, it will never get passed.
In the "real" world many of the banks are bankrupt. In the "real" world, laws are enforced (this can go many ways). Both the borders are protected AND many of the bankers are in prison.

It seems we no longer live in a "real" world.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
That is the old model my friend. College is not necessary to succeed yet the lie continues. All these mental morons graduating and they can't get a job, can't afford they're loans. They have been scammed. So Bernie will fix all this, then what? He doesn't know how to create a single private sector job to employ the useful idiots. Government has never been the answer...
I don't generally do this but with a post like this it simply demands it.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:00 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,786 times
Unfortunately Obama already gave you everything for free. All Sanders can do is give you money in addition to your free gas and housing and education.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

Old 02-15-2016, 04:14 AM

11,854 posts, read 5,829,762 times
College these days is not all it's cracked up to be. Kids are graduating with degrees in programs for which there are few jobs. At least in NT - college costs could be lowered if they spent the money more practically instead of wastefully. Tens of thousands of dollars for a new sign so mommie and daddie are impressed when they come to visit. Cobblestone walkways which have to be replaced every year due to the weather conditions and add a couple of law suits in there for kids tripping on the lifted pieces and breaking an arm - but they continue to replace them. Taking 5.6 years to graduate because instead of having sufficient professors for required courses - we have them teaching origami as an elective and that required course is full.

Not every kid is college material and trade programs should be getting a boost - as what we need are more of the skilled trades - many of which make much more than a lot of college degrees - if they can find jobs they received the degree for.

Although I like Bernie's convictions and believes that he truely believes his plans will make America better - I see many young people like the OP voting for him due to the expectation of reduced student loans and "free" college - not understanding that the process will be a long one - and even if passed - one they will never benefit from.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:15 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,446,169 times
No, there isn't a Santa Claus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections