Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 04:17 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,459,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If the Republicans block a supreme court nominee for the next 11 months, then the Senate, House and Presidency might be Democrat controlled because the GOP will be jumping off a cliff. It's almost as bad as halting the government. This doesn't go over well with voters and they would vote out lots of Republicans in congress and pick a Democrat for president too. To stick it to the party that is causing obstructionism. It'd be pretty hard to try to blame Obama for an 11 month delay in approving Supreme Court nominee. It will backfire, guaranteed.
Dream on.

Democrats obstructed Republican appointees.

What's sauce for the goose....
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 04:21 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,352,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Tell that to those who want to become doctors. Isn't college necessary to them. Honestly, they can't afford their loans. How about we just get rid of college all together
Of course college (and medical school) are necessary to become doctors. But not everyone in the country needs to be a doctor. I don't see anyone suggesting the elimination of all colleges or the granting of medical degrees and licenses straight out of high school.

You're missing the forest for the trees. The point is that college is way too expensive and a lot of people who go to college are not only failing to help their situation but are hurting their situation by virtue of graduating with enormous debt and little to show for it in the way of skills that are valuable in the employment market.

When one buys something, there is an implicit statement buy the purchases that the value of the product is greater than the cost. The same calculation has to be made for education. I've only been out of college 16 years and the per annum cost to attend my university has doubled in that time. In some cases, it may not be worth the money. You have to remember there are a lot more colleges and universities with Harvard prices than there are with Harvard value; those are the ones that are most susceptible to plummeting enrollments.

You'll definitely start seeing reductions in the number of seats and, eventually, reductions in tuition as well. Going massively into debt b/c it makes you feel good and b/c you were force fed the notion that you're nobody without a college degree is total BS and it will lead to more harm than good.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:27 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,352,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
College these days is not all it's cracked up to be. Kids are graduating with degrees in programs for which there are few jobs. At least in NT - college costs could be lowered if they spent the money more practically instead of wastefully. Tens of thousands of dollars for a new sign so mommie and daddie are impressed when they come to visit. Cobblestone walkways which have to be replaced every year due to the weather conditions and add a couple of law suits in there for kids tripping on the lifted pieces and breaking an arm - but they continue to replace them. Taking 5.6 years to graduate because instead of having sufficient professors for required courses - we have them teaching origami as an elective and that required course is full.

Not every kid is college material and trade programs should be getting a boost - as what we need are more of the skilled trades - many of which make much more than a lot of college degrees - if they can find jobs they received the degree for.

Although I like Bernie's convictions and believes that he truely believes his plans will make America better - I see many young people like the OP voting for him due to the expectation of reduced student loans and "free" college - not understanding that the process will be a long one - and even if passed - one they will never benefit from.
Sanders' plans will not make America better. They'll make it much worse than it is now and that's starting from a pretty low baseline. We're already a basket case with ~95M not working and a horrible business climate. That's why there are so many inversions. It's not unpatriotic for an American company to reincorporate abroad for a lower tax rate -- it's good business. It's unpatriotic for our 'leaders' to have led us from being one of the freest economies to a hostile business climate and to then chastise the companies that leave for doing so.

Sanders would massively raise taxes, increase government spending and increase regulations on business. These actions would drastically increase the cost of labor and decrease the opportunity for post-tax profit (which, by the way, is how our employers are able to cover the cost of our jobs). How would this be good for the country? By massively increasing the number of unemployed, lowering wages, and exploding the debt?

If Sanders gets elected and gets his way, don't be surprised if you find yourself in an unemployment line pronto.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:28 AM

89,511 posts, read 45,185,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
That is the old model my friend. College is not necessary to succeed yet the lie continues. All these mental morons graduating and they can't get a job, can't afford their loans. They have been scammed.
I don't understand how so many fell for the scam. Does anyone not remember the 1980s joke about Liberal Arts degree students? Any variety of the following...

The science major asks "Why does it work?"
The engineering major asks "How does it work?"
The business major asks "How much will it cost?"
The liberal arts major asks "Do you want fries with that?"
Quote:
So Bernie will fix all this, then what? He doesn't know how to create a single private sector job to employ the useful idiots. Government has never been the answer...
Bernie won't be able to fix it, and his policies will lose jobs which will make it even worse.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:39 AM

79,909 posts, read 44,385,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Sanders' plans will not make America better. They'll make it much worse than it is now and that's starting from a pretty low baseline. We're already a basket case with ~95M not working and a horrible business climate. That's why there are so many inversions. It's not unpatriotic for an American company to reincorporate abroad for a lower tax rate -- it's good business. It's unpatriotic for our 'leaders' to have led us from being one of the freest economies to a hostile business climate and to then chastise the companies that leave for doing so.

Sanders would massively raise taxes, increase government spending and increase regulations on business. These actions would drastically increase the cost of labor and decrease the opportunity for post-tax profit (which, by the way, is how our employers are able to cover the cost of our jobs). How would this be good for the country? By massively increasing the number of unemployed, lowering wages, and exploding the debt?

If Sanders gets elected and gets his way, don't be surprised if you find yourself in an unemployment line pronto.
I imagine many in the business of war will lose their jobs. It's pretty sad though to send kids over to die so one can continue to make money off of it.

Wall Street is running off more jobs than government.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:10 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,119,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Serious question here. Thanks.
My guess, NO but that is all it is; a guess.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:20 AM

20,134 posts, read 16,247,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No, current loans don't go away. What he's suggested is going back to the old method of setting student loan interest rates, which would effectively cut the rate on existing loans by about half.

That may not sound like that much, but it's a huge deal that drastically eases the student loan burden on people who are already in debt.

https://berniesanders.com/issues/its...and-debt-free/
This is something he may be able to get through congress and despite my staunch Republican/Libertarin roots totally support it. We have a generation that we have economically crippled with debt that prevents them from getting ahead or possibly even supporting a family. They have a future where 15% of their income is already spoken for - it is like a tithing to the government and banking industry. They aren't running around spending or investing as much money either. Someone pulled a cruel fast one on our young adults when they changed how the interest was computed on those non-dischargeable loans.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:29 AM

11,805 posts, read 7,153,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
No. It's my third time voting for President.

My girlfriend and most of my friends are leaning towards Sanders because we have a lot of debt from college so we are hoping he becomes President.
Whatever gave you the idea that Sander's platform includes forgiveness of loans pre-dating his presidential tenure? Look here and tell me where it says anything close to what you are saying: https://berniesanders.com/issues/its...and-debt-free/
He is talking about students attending college going forward, after he magically passes this legislation making it all possible.

The Fifth Amendment's takings clause would prohibit the Federal government from unilaterally canceling student debts owned by banks and other financial institutions . . . without just compensation. Do you think the government would cough up $1.2 TRILLION? Not going to happen under any circumstance and, more importantly, Bernie has never promised it.

I am concerned that some people are voting for Bernie because they think he supports something so completely illogical. He and his campaign have a lot of very positive aspects, so there is no need to make stuff up or not confirming his stance . . . . on his website.

Mick

Old 02-15-2016, 05:35 AM

26,120 posts, read 22,310,905 times
I don't think it would be retroactive and take away loan obligations. Also, free college, if done like some other countries would be limited to the top tier of graduating students.

Want to get rid of student loans? I suggest voting for Trump so you can get a better job and pay them off. A loan is a contract and someone has to cover it. Too many people get loans, can't get a job either because of the economy or they choose something that amounts to nothing.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:50 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,342,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No, current loans don't go away. What he's suggested is going back to the old method of setting student loan interest rates, which would effectively cut the rate on existing loans by about half.

Not exactly. His plan to change the formula for setting rates on direct student loans back to the formula used in 2006 would lower the current rate from 4.29% to 2.37% if it were in effect today. Without a crystal ball we have no way of knowing what the rate might end up being at the time the change might go into effect.

And it wouldn't automatically cut rates on existing loans, he has a separate plan that would allow current holders of direct loans to apply for refinancing at the current rate.

It should also be noted that none of his plans would apply to private student loans. If you're stuck paying 10% on a private loan because you over-borrowed for college you're going to continue to pay 10% unless you can find a private lender to refinance you at a lower rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections