Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:58 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,726,706 times

Advertisements

This isn’t the first time a Government Accountability Institute study has caused controversy.

In July, a GAI analysis of President Obama’s calendar found that the president has spent just 412 hours in economic meetings of any kind throughout his presidency versus the over 600 hours he’s spent golfing.

Report: Obama Misses Over Half His Intelligence Briefings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,455,378 times
Romney needs to go to town on this issue. I'd even suggest Obama is lazy, let MSNBC go on about racist code words.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 AM

It's just a function of Obama's "LASER-LIKE FOCUS ON JOBS AND THE ECONOMY".......he's fighting SO HARD for the middle class you know!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:56 AM

6,812 posts, read 6,968,166 times
Government Accountability Institute? I checked out the website and there doesn't seem to be any other reports on any other politician. Just a bunch of links to stories from Drudge, Fox etc. Makes me really wonder about their authenticity.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:57 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,977,993 times
Wow. Damning.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:18 AM

25,577 posts, read 56,566,305 times
Might try doing some math. 600/4yrs/52 wks = ta da

Wow - that's a whole 2.88 hrs a week on the golf course.

Exaggeration much?

You're actually begrudging the President one afternoon of golf a week?

I call this a huge - FAIL

Old 09-11-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Might try doing some math. 600/4yrs/52 wks = ta da

Wow - that's a whole 2.88 hrs a week on the golf course.

Exaggeration much?

You're actually begrudging the President one afternoon of golf a week?

I call this a huge - FAIL

...and why don't you do the math on how often he's spent time in meetings about jobs and the economy?

I remember him saying he'd have a "laser-like focus" on jobs and the economy and that he'd "spend every waking hour" focused on it.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Government Accountability Institute? I checked out the website and there doesn't seem to be any other reports on any other politician. Just a bunch of links to stories from Drudge, Fox etc. Makes me really wonder about their authenticity.

Someone in the White House said he didn't dispute the numbers......

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...4e1_story.html

Quote:
I asked National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor about the findings, and whether there were any instances where the president attended the intelligence meeting that were not on his public schedule. Vietor did not dispute the numbers, but said the fact that the president, during a time of war, does not attend his daily intelligence meeting on a daily basis is “not particularly interesting or useful.”

Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,417,008 times
Gee another lets bash Obama topic with a link to a website thats sole objective is to trash Obama, is this all you righties got?..

JT ya gotta come up with more proof than that if you gonna say Obama spends 600 hrs on the golf course, if you check out the Presidents daily itinerary you'll see real quick he aint got no time to be playing 600hrs of golf..

Old 09-11-2012, 10:39 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,455,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Correct this is a conservative group:

Quote:
The Government Accountability Institute, a new conservative investigative research organization, examined President Obama’s schedule from the day he took office until mid-June 2012, to see how often he attended his Presidential Daily Brief (PDB) — the meeting at which he is briefed on the most critical intelligence threats to the country. During his first 1,225 days in office, Obama attended his PDB just 536 times — or 43.8 percent of the time. During 2011 and the first half of 2012, his attendance became even less frequent — falling to just over 38 percent. By contrast, Obama’s predecessor, George W. Bush almost never missed his daily intelligence meeting.
However the numbers are not in dispute but supposedly Obama "reads his PDB":

Quote:
I asked National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor about the findings, and whether there were any instances where the president attended the intelligence meeting that were not on his public schedule. Vietor did not dispute the numbers, but said the fact that the president, during a time of war, does not attend his daily intelligence meeting on a daily basis is “not particularly interesting or useful.” He says that the president reads his PDB every day, and he disagreed with the suggestion that there is any difference whatsoever between simply reading the briefing book and having an interactive discussion of its contents with top national security and intelligence officials where the president can probe assumptions and ask questions. “I actually don’t agree at all,” Vietor told me in an e-mail, “The president gets the information he needs from the intelligence community each day.”
Yet the same person contradicts himself:

Quote:
Yet Vietor also directed me to a Post story written this year in which Obama officials discuss the importance of the intelligence meeting and extol how brilliantly the president runs it. “Obama reads the PDB ahead of time and comes to the morning meeting with questions. Intelligence briefers are there to answer those questions, expand on a point or raise a new issue,” The Post reported. “One regular participant in the roughly 500 Oval Office sessions during Obama’s presidency said the meetings show a president consistently participating in an exploration of foreign policy and intelligence issues.”
So basically the President doesn't participate in the meetings to the same degree his own security council spokesperson says is important.

Yet the evil George Bush did:

Quote:
While the Bush records are not yet available electronically for analysis, officials tell me the former president held his intelligence meeting six days a week, no exceptions — usually with the vice president, the White House chief of staff, the national security adviser, the director of National Intelligence, or their deputies, and CIA briefers in attendance. Once a week, he held an expanded Homeland Security briefing that included the Homeland Security adviser, the FBI director and other homeland security officials. Bush also did more than 100 hour-long “deep dives” in which he invited intelligence analysts into the Oval Office to get their unvarnished and sometimes differing views. Such meetings deepened the president’s understanding of the issues and helped analysts better understand the problems with which he was wrestling.
Marc Thiessen: Why is Obama skipping more than half of his daily intelligence meetings? - The Washington Post

Once again Romney should be going to town on this one. THere is no room for Obama to lie his way out of this one. Cheney has started it off nicely for him.
Quote:

"If President Obama were participating in his intelligence briefings on a regular basis then perhaps he would understand why people are so offended at his efforts to take sole credit for the killing of Osama bin Laden," Cheney told the Daily Caller in a statement.
http://www.politico.com/politico44/2...4.html?hp=t3_3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections