Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 12:38 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Logic???

Using your logic - not that logic enters into anything on P&C - he either isn't playing an entire round of golf, or golfs every other week.

Which is it?

Either way, average of 2.88 hrs a week still holds.

When you reduce the 600 hours to the ridiculous, I guess then it's time to divert, change the subject and go this this:

So, better he should work seven days a week, 12 - or better yet 24 - hours a day. Then when mistakes occur, he can be lambasted for not having the common sense to take a bit of time off.

According to this theory, the President is merely a machine, devoid of emotion, has no need of rest, just keep the joints lubricated and he should work 24 hours around the clock.

Ya, right.
Yep, I found it funny that you were using bad assumptions to make your point worse than it actually was. Way say he is playing once a week when its probably more like your other statement of once every other week.

Additionally, I dont buy the rest/relaxation thing. It just seems like a heck of a lot of time. Like I said, I know plenty of other working/family people that would love to play golf that often, but cant justify it because of their other obligations, I can only assume the POTUS has bigger and more obligations than some of my friends, family, and co-workers...at least I hope he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 12:51 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Additionally, I dont buy the rest/relaxation thing. It just seems like a heck of a lot of time. Like I said, I know plenty of other working/family people that would love to play golf that often, but cant justify it because of their other obligations, I can only assume the POTUS has bigger and more obligations than some of my friends, family, and co-workers...at least I hope he does.
So, three and one-half years equals 30,648 hours.
Divide in half (to account for sleeping and eating) and there are 15,324 hours.
And 600 hours out of over 15,000 is too much, in your opinion?

BTW, I'm sure there are people with MS who would LOVE to have their doctor's prescribe dressage lessons as part of their therapy. I bet many people with disabilities would love to have an elevator for their luxury car so they don't have to actually walk up and down steps.

C'est la vie!

Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
So, three and one-half years equals 30,648 hours.
Divide in half (to account for sleeping and eating) and there are 15,324 hours.
And 600 hours out of over 15,000 is too much, in your opinion?

BTW, I'm sure there are people with MS who would LOVE to have their doctor's prescribe dressage lessons as part of their therapy. I bet many people with disabilities would love to have an elevator for their luxury car so they don't have to actually walk up and down steps.

C'est la vie!
Spin the numbers all you want, they look great but I've said it three times in this thread...I know plenty of other professionals with families that dont have that much time to spend golfing based on their other responsibilities and obligations in life.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:11 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Spin the numbers all you want, they look great but I've said it three times in this thread...I know plenty of other professionals with families that dont have that much time to spend golfing based on their other responsibilities and obligations in life.
My calculator doesn't spin, does yours?

As for 'other professionals..', are you just now learning that different people lead different lives? Are you just learning that some people have more money than others? Are you just learning that some people have less money than others? Are these other professionals the President of the United States? No? Well, how is your comparison valid?

You have access to a computer; do you know that there are people who don't?
You will probably eat food tonight; do you know that children in Haiti are eating mud for their dinners?

Please...numbers are ALL that matter in this particular thread.
Calculate them yourself; they'll come out pretty much the same as mine.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
My calculator doesn't spin, does yours?

As for 'other professionals..', are you just now learning that different people lead different lives? Are you just learning that some people have more money than others? Are you just learning that some people have less money than others? Are these other professionals the President of the United States? No? Well, how is your comparison valid?

You have access to a computer; do you know that there are people who don't?
You will probably eat food tonight; do you know that children in Haiti are eating mud for their dinners?

Please...numbers are ALL that matter in this particular thread.
Calculate them yourself; they'll come out pretty much the same as mine.
Some of these other professionals that I know make significantly more money than the POTUS and obviously have significantly less important jobs than the POTUS, although they are equally time consuming, so my comparison is pretty valid. And in-fact some of the people I know are sales professionals that pretty much have business meetings on the golf course and still don't get around to playing as much as that.

Not sure what your point is here other than to tell me that "numbers are all that matters" but if that is your argument, its pretty weak because you are only looking at one input into the equation.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:24 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Government Accountability Institute? I checked out the website and there doesn't seem to be any other reports on any other politician. Just a bunch of links to stories from Drudge, Fox etc. Makes me really wonder about their authenticity.
GAO- Government Accountability Office. The real deal. This is the agency that made the Pentagon quit buying $50 hammers, and forced Congressmen to start paying for their junkets.

GAI- A phony sound-alike outfit, probably cooked up by a single wing nut with a few other hang-arounds.

It figures. Only the dim are fooled, but apparently there are a lot of the dim.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:25 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,677 times
Quote:
Some of these other professionals that I know make significantly more money than the POTUS and obviously have significantly less important jobs than the POTUS, although they are equally time consuming, so my comparison is pretty valid. And in-fact some of the people I know are sales professionals that pretty much have business meetings on the golf course and still don't get around to playing as much as that.

Not sure what your point is here other than to tell me that "numbers are all that matters" but if that is your argument, its pretty weak because you are only looking at one input into the equation.
Uh, no, your point is not really valid. Some people have incredibly difficult jobs and don't get much else done, other people could have that same job and be able to pursue all kinds of activities and spend time with their families. Some people are just really excellent at managing their time and making it count, and others are not. We all know people like that.

I can say that my husband's predecessor in his job worked much longer hours than him, but was mostly screwing around and eventually got fired. My husband took the same position and manages to get most of his work done in the morning and sometimes comes home early and other times pursues new projects for his employer.

It seems rather hard for you to absorb, but it's that basic.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:26 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,718,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

It figures. Only the dim are fooled, but apparently there are a lot of the dim.

Which would include the LIBERAL Washington Post then.

PS: An Obama intelligence guy said that he did not dispute the numbers

Old 09-11-2012, 01:30 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Which would include the LIBERAL Washington Post then.

PS: An Obama intelligence guy said that he did not dispute the numbers
Wait a second JT, has this 600 hours of golfing thing actually been verified with something other than your goofball propaganda website?

Old 09-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
Uh, no, your point is not really valid. Some people have incredibly difficult jobs and don't get much else done, other people could have that same job and be able to pursue all kinds of activities and spend time with their families. Some people are just really excellent at managing their time and making it count, and others are not. We all know people like that.

I can say that my husband's predecessor in his job worked much longer hours than him, but was mostly screwing around and eventually got fired. My husband took the same position and manages to get most of his work done in the morning and sometimes comes home early and other times pursues new projects for his employer.

It seems rather hard for you to absorb, but it's that basic.
I know my friends and the people that I work with very well thanks, some of them are incredibly successful and others are not...my point is dead on. VERY few Americans have the time to play golf once a week. A POTUS should be one of those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections