Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:21 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,151,466 times

Advertisements

I guess I don't have to mention that of course, CBS/NYT under sampled Republicans...do I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:22 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,530,600 times
You guys can quote poll numbers ’til you’re blue in the face... but fortunately the election ain’t no "popularity contest".
BTW, here’s the NYT latest electoral figures (and the only ’numbers’ that really matter):

Old 07-18-2012, 05:23 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,151,466 times
Obama has a lead of .......7? This is good news?

WI, PA, MI, IA, NH, MN in play.

3,326 posts, read 8,915,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
So it's ok with you that someone who makes 50k a year pays the same effective tax rate as someone who makes 50 million a year? No one above even suggested taxing the rich out of all their money, or having the government do every "dang" thing for you.

Quite frankly, your thinking makes no sense to me.

I think that, as Americans, we are conditioned to be overly optimistic. We are conditioned to think that if the rich have it good, someday we might be rich, and we'll have it good too. We're conditioned to think that if we work hard and go to school and take out 90k in loans, we'll probably get a good job at the end and be able to pay off those loans, and the loans for our house, and the loans for our car. We're conditioned to believe that if our boss could afford it, he would give us a raise even though he doesn't have to because we're good workers and he appreciates us. We're conditioned to believe in fairness and justice and good in the world. It's our culture, and it's part of the reason that Americans are so productive and innovative and stable.

I feel lucky that I was raised in an immigrant family and taught that this is all complete and utter bull****. So I can take it with a grain of salt.
I used an extreme example to make a point. My point was that there isn't enough money to go around to pay for everything Obama wants or is trying to do. There never ever will be. We can double the rate on the rich and raise the rates substantially on everyone else and it still just isn't there. And yes, most die-hard Obama supporters have no problem with the federal government doing as much as possible for them. They openly admit it. If you disagree with that philosophy, I highly suggest you vote for someone else.

As for conditioning, I agree partially, but see no place for more government involvement to make anyone's life better. I am very glad I grew up more optimistically. You can choose to be negative and think the whole world is screwed up, but that would be a sad existence. Not everything is perfect, but seriously, if there were less optimism and belief in the system, we wouldn't have the technology and medical advances that we've had. There wouldn't be enough jobs for the vast majority because nobody would have taken initiative to invent, innovate and start business.
It really is largely up to the individual.
Taking out massive loans for everything is questionable and downright stupid for a lot of people. I was taught to figure out what you're going to do with your life, and if that doesn't include college, that's okay. I worked nights to pay my way through tech school and never took out a loan for it. I didn't make as much money, but on the other hand, I don't have $300 a month in student loans to pay off. I wasn't conditioned as you say Americans are (some are, but not all), so I can't relate to all of that. I have had bosses in the past throw a little extra my way when times were good. Maybe I'm the only person out there who's had that happen, I don't know.
Which brings me to why I despise Obama's class warfare rhetoric. He thinks the business owner who might be worth 250k is rich. Never mind they often don't take home any more than I do.
I've often thought about starting up my own business. Seriously. Would I do it during an Obama administration? No way.

13,887 posts, read 13,753,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
You guys can quote poll numbers ’til you’re blue in the face... but fortunately the election ain’t no "popularity contest".
BTW, here’s the NYT latest electoral figures (and the only ’numbers’ that really matter):
your little thingy is worthless without a date.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 PM

Politics - Election News - 2012 Presidential Campaign - Breaking News, Blogs, Results - The New York Times

There, are ya happy now (I know how you folks prefer purty pitchers...)!

Old 07-18-2012, 05:37 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,554,287 times
OMG, mateo. Your map shows Obama up by 9 EV's and far from 270. The results of the national popular vote have differed from the results of the electoral vote exactly one time since 1888 - in 2000, when both the EV and popular vote were extremely close.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:40 PM

Oh, and I notice nobody mentions that on the same day as the touted CBS-NYT poll, your own beloved "fair & balanced" FOX News gives Obama a 4 point lead over Romney (...LOL)!!

RealClearPolitics - Latest Election Polls

Old 07-18-2012, 05:41 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,554,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Oh, and I notice nobody mentions that on the same day as the touted CBS-NYT poll, your own beloved "fair & balanced" FOX News gives Obama a 4 point lead over Romney (...LOL)!!

RealClearPolitics - Latest Election Polls
If you don't trust Fox News usually, why would you trust them when they say Obama is ahead?

If you think CBS and the New York Times are more reliable usually, why wouldn't you trust them more in this case as well?

Old 07-18-2012, 05:57 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,643,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If you don't trust Fox News usually, why would you trust them when they say Obama is ahead?

If you think CBS and the New York Times are more reliable usually, why wouldn't you trust them more in this case as well?
I do believe it is quite possible Romney has a 1 point lead. I've also always theorized that Obama has nearly a 5 percent cushion to work with. Conservatives will come out in full force in November, however it won't do Romney much good as they will come out full force in states that are deep red. PA, MI, OH and WI are really all that matter at this point. If Romney loses FL early in the evening, the election is already over. Obama wins.

PA, WI and MI are not in play in my opinion. Romney could have a chance in OH if he chooses Portman. That's really the big "X" factor right now. If he does choose Rubio, Romney gets FL, but bye-bye Ohio.

IA/NV, not going Romney. NH isn't either. CO could, NC likely and VA possibly.

But....as I said, it's really all about those four aforementioned states with the caveat that if Romney loses FL, he's done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections