Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:58 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,826,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Wisconsin could be interesting.
Remember who is more energized right now. Obama's honeymoon is looooonnnnggg over. Republicans are bent on getting rid of him.

I'm lower-middle class. I am not taking offers for my vote. Obama can keep his bribe money.
The way I see it, the less my rich boss has to pay in taxes, the more he can pay me. If only libs could get their angry heads out of the sand long enough to realize that there really are bosses out there like that.
Otherwise, the rich still pay a significantly higher rate than I ever will. Lowering their taxes will have no effect on me.. other than possible better pay and more co-workers.
What has actually happened is that worker's wages have continued to stay stagnant or go down, and executive wages have skyrocketed, all despite the Bush tax cuts. That's not anger, that's just the facts.

I have heard at least one small business person (a doctor) boast that he has been able to keep the wages of his office employees the same for ten years. Raising their salaries was his last priority. He didn't give his admin a raise until she walked out on him and he couldn't find anyone on the spot with her skills who could take a crappy salary. That appears to be the attitude of the typical employer, unfortunately. If you like that, fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 06:04 PM

22,216 posts, read 19,514,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
"2008
According to Politico, "Rasmussen’s final poll of the 2008 general election — showing Obama defeating Arizona Sen. John McCain 52 percent to 46 percent — closely mirrored the election’s outcome."[39] In reference to the 2008 presidential election, a Talking Points Memo article said, "Rasmussen's final polls had Obama ahead 52%-46%, which was nearly identical to Obama's final margin of 53%-46%, and made him one of the most accurate pollsters out there."[40]"

[edit]

Rasmussen Reports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I never suggested that Rasmussen was bad in 2008 (they were bad in 2010 however). I just disputed the "most accurate" tagline since about five or six pollsters had the margin either at 7 or 8 points, which was more accurate than the 6 Rasmussen had.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:06 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,781,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Bain isn't a legitimate company. People are too conditioned to believe Enron is the real deal.
Lol, I think the employees of Staples would disagree. I suspect you have no clue what Bain does.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I never suggested that Rasmussen was bad in 2008 (they were bad in 2010 however). I just disputed the "most accurate" tagline since about five or six pollsters had the margin either at 7 or 8 points, which was more accurate than the 6 Rasmussen had.
It a silly argument, however they were the most accurate in 2008, I documented it for you. Your only rebuttal was no it wasn't. The reality is, regardless of how much the left hates them, their method of polling likely voters is the most accurate way of doing things.

Last edited by shorebaby; 07-17-2012 at 06:20 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,162,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
In effect, you want to kick the can further down the road by returning us to the policies that got us into this mess in the first place. We never will recover as long as we keep repeating the same mistakes.

Until we cut spending and raise taxes, we will never shed ourselves of the hovering debt cloud that is hindering growth. We can't control what is happening in Europe, but having the guts to admit we need to take some difficult steps to tackle our debt at home will do more to heal the US economy than any tax cut Republicans can propose. Also, it would be refreshing if Republicans would come clean and admit there are numerous external global factors that are preventing growth. They won't, because the less the base understands the more they can continue the charade that lower taxes will somehow offset our ballooning defense budget (which is spending cut taboo....but everything else including education is on the table!)

Republicans loved the individual mandate when they first proposed it in Congress in 1993. They hate it now at Obama's name is tied to it. It's too bad, because there are many beneficial provisions contained within ACA that prove popular with most Americans (on both sides of the political spectrum) once you get past the talking points. Obama's biggest problem is that he has done a poor job educating Americans on ACA.

I have never understood how Republicans can be for energy independence and yet be so against sustainable, alternative energy generation and reduction. They whine about CAFE when appropriate, yet the market seems quite pleased with double digit increases in fuel economy over the last ten years. They whine about the green economy, yet LEED certified buildings that use 40% less energy are quite popular with owners, developers, and public institutions (and by extension, taxpayers) once they realize the short term cost premium results in long term energy savings. Why do Republicans only focus on domestic oil exploration when Japan, Europe, and China are about 15 years ahead of us in developing a sustainable society able to better weather shocks in the oil market?

Let's cut regulation and go back to the wheeling and dealing economy of the 2000's. Oversight of the financial sector, stock market, and lending institutions sounds like a horrible idea. We like boom-bust cycles every 5-8 years rather than sustainable, measured growth.

Considering Republicans keep repeating the same tired schtick to solve problems that my generation is going to be paying for, while remaining intellectually dishonest on real problems facing this country, I hope you don't mind that I prefer a "dummy" like Obama for four more years.
Actually, if you simply said that you prefer Democratic ideals over Republican ideals, you might get an ounce of respect. But you didn't say that....you've clearly demonstrated your loyalty to BARACK OBAMA....and thats where you and your colleagues fail wholly and completely. You should shed yourselves of the bumbling incompetent idiot and find yourselves someone who is truly representative of what you stand for. And if Barack Obama IS the Democrat that you align with, then your caliber of Democrats are indeed worthy of the mockery and ridicule that you receive.

Seriously.....find someone else to worship.....Barack Obama is not your guy if you're truly serious about upholding Democratic ideals.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
It a silly argument, however they were the most accurate in 2008, I documented it for you. Your only rebuttal was no it wasn't. The reality is, regardless of how much the left hates them, their method of polling likely voters is the most accurate way of doing things.
In what Republican math is 6 closer to 7.27 than 7 or 8??

Old 07-17-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
In what Republican math is 6 closer to 7.27 than 7 or 8??
Sorry, but every Google search turns up Rassmussen as the most accurate presidential pollster, with Pew in 2008. Produce something else, if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I simply couldn't find anything else.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:44 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,434,350 times
Well, all that Bain stuff is still in the news and keeps biting Rmoney in the butt. I suspect he's had all the backfiring he can stand.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but every Google search turns up Rassmussen as the most accurate presidential pollster, with Pew in 2008. Produce something else, if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I simply couldn't find anything else.
It was all taken from an article wrote early the day after the election, prior to the numbers being final. The initial report had it at 6.15, but the actual margin was 7.27

CNN/OR, Fox and Ipsos/McClatchy all had a 7 point margin. TIPP and NBC/WSJ had an 8 point margin. Then you had Rasmussen and Pew at 6.

Now being off by a little more than a point isn't bad at all, however 5 pollsters were more accurate.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - General Election: McCain vs. Obama

Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,339,781 times
I think that our political system, maybe even our constitution, is becoming more and more obsolete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections