Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:40 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,243,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
The audience was almost all Tea Party activists...need I say more? This entire debate was set up to pump some life back into Newt. From what I have seen today, it pumped his head back up...lol. He is back to making grandiose comments about himself.
Gingrich doesn't appear to be a humble person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:45 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,058,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Oh you mean, except for those jobs that "Americans won't do", right? The ones the illegals have? I guess most unemployed people would rather sit in front of the TV on unemployment than do those jobs, right?

When unemployment pays better than manual labor, something is NOT RIGHT.

This whole country is spoiled.
I have no idea why you are bringing up illegal aliens. Fact is, many illegal's are
making money dealing drugs. They don't need no
stinkin' job
If your referring to field workers with green cards e.g. strawberry pickers etc - guess what - there aren't enough of those jobs to go around for all the Americans that want to work either. Same goes for Walmart people greeters - just stand in ine when they have openings in any major city.

I'm not going to argue with you that there are
lazy folks on extended unemployment - something
I am totally against. Let's call 99 weeks on unemployment what it really is at that point - it's a welfare check.
We are after all, suppose to be in the greatest depression
since the greatest depression, are we not?

I'm pointing out that Newt is not original in
his rant on the work ethic - especially since the
issue has already been exhausted financially at the
federal level.

A better argument for the work ethic and the ails
of America lies in how to bring manufacturing jobs back
home or start new ones - along with apprenticeships of yesterday.
Lifting the prohibition on the agriculture farming of industrial hemp in this country would be
a start...

Are Americans spoiled. Sure they are. But I didn't know
it was the motivation of the GOP or the DEMS
to bring America down to third world country status.
Oh wait - maybe it is, with all the
borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, they've gotten this
country into...

Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Also the less than subtle implication that most black people are on food stamps. The fact that Newt and his supporters can't see the racism inherent in these types of comments shows just how deep and entrenched their bigotry really is. The fact that a presidential candidate can stand on a stage and toss out dog whistle style Southern strategy comments designed to appeal to the racist Tea Party base of the GOP is disgusting, when he gets a standing ovation for it, it becomes scary. I got a distinct Third Reich vibe from the whole thing.
Let's not stretch the truth.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM

791 posts, read 464,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Gladly.....

Potato farmer Keith Smith saw most of his immigrant workers leave after Alabama's tough immigration law took effect, so he hired Americans. It hasn't worked out: Most show up late, work slower than seasoned farm hands and are ready to call it a day after lunch or by midafternoon. Some quit after a single day.
In Alabama and other parts of the country, farmers must look beyond the nation's borders for labor because many Americans simply don't want the backbreaking, low-paying jobs immigrants are willing to take.

After Alabama Immigration Law, Few Americans Taking Immigrants' Work
Even your story doesn't quite 'get there'. The request was to show me a job that Americans won't do, and your article doesn't claim that NONE would do it, it claims that MOST won't. While that might be good enough for you, it's not what I asked. There may be jobs that YOU wouldn't do, or that a majority of Americans won't do, but there are, in fact, Americans doing EVERY job out there.

The solution to your farmer's problem is quite simple, quit paying slave wages. Labor accounts for about 10% of the total cost of fresh fruits and vegetables. These guys could DOUBLE their pay, inducing more Americans into their workforce, and the concomitant price increase would be 10%. So much for the $6 for a head of lettuce argument.

You see, here is what happens with illegal immigrant labor. First, they get hired at 50% or less of what Americans need in order to pay their bills. They live 6-8 or more in a 2 bedroom hovel, they get paid cash under the table, they use the ER for the doctor's office and, if their families are with them they get Food Stamps, AFDC, school lunches and bi-lingual teachers, all paid for by the American taxpayer. They drive unsafe, uninsured vehicles and send the majority of what money they do make back to their home countries, taking it out of the economy here.

No American can do those things, we have laws against it. So it sets up this shadowy underclass that gets exploited by their employers in the name of profits.

I'm pretty sure that the extra 10% in food prices would be more than offset by the reduced expenditures on everything else the illegal immigrant costs us, too.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,944,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Let's not stretch the truth.
What truth did I strech? Are you trying to deny that Gingrich made racially charged comments on a stage in a state that led the treasonous Confederacy and that still uses a flag most people associate with racists? As soon as he was willing to use unabashed race baiting, he jumped up in the SC polls. That tells me everything that I need to know about SC and the current state of the Republican Party.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 PM

791 posts, read 464,332 times
Quote:
What truth did I strech? Are you trying to deny that Gingrich made racially charged comments on a stage in a state that led the treasonous Confederacy and that still uses a flag most people associate with racists? As soon as he was willing to use unabashed race baiting, he jumped up in the SC polls. That tells me everything that I need to know about SC and the current state of the Republican Party.
First off I'll preface my comments with "I don't even like Newt!"

With that said I'd like to ask you to define these 'racially charged comments'. Are you talking about Obama being a Food Stamp President? If so, I didn't know an EBT card could tell the race of the person using it. Additionally, there are more whites using food stamps than there are minorities.
If that's not the 'racially charged comment' you're alluding to, could it be the one about teens doing janitorial work? If so, you should know that janitorial positions are not usually filled on a 'race-based' basis. I'm pretty sure that members of all races are janitors, or are you trying to assert that janitors are their own oppressed race?
As far as your flag comment goes, grow a freaking SKIN! Just because "most people" associate that flag with racists they're supposed to burn it or something? Living in the South I know lots of black folks that DON'T associate that flag with racists, even though their race-pandering, self-appointed 'leaders' like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton want them to.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,071,008 times
Gingrichs' Eddie Haskell treatment of a legitimate question is terrible for the party. The first few debates featured crowds (1) cheering executions, (2) booing soldiers, and (3) yelling "let em die". During that period, Obama's ratings started climbing, not for what he did well, but via unforced GOp errors. The last several debates had been more adult in nature, with no major embarrassments. Now Newt essentially does his best to get more independents wondering how EXTREME the GOP is. All cause his ego can't take the fact that he is TOAST.

To anyone who wants to see a Republican president next year, this should be viewed as abominable. The reality is the party will not get crippled by either Paul or Santorum staying in the race, but the party needs Newt disposed of, as quickly as possible.

He is the GOP suicide bomber.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 AM

9,325 posts, read 22,104,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh my goodness sake, where do you live, under a rock or something? there are stories she asked for the divorce, but that is a he said/she said, so no one will ever really know who is telling the truth. She had a tumor removed, no one has any idea if it was cancerous, as that too is in question, but the worst part of your rediculous comment: dieing of cancer. She is about 80 years old now and very much alive!!!!!

NIta

dunno what to beleive on that one
Newt Gingrich divorced first wife Jackie Battley 'as she wasn't pretty enough to be First Lady' | Mail Online

Old 01-19-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
First of all, I don't support Gingrich. I'm a Ron Paul supporter.

Secondly, however, I found nothing wrong with Gingrich's comment. A lot of people want to insinuate or see something that is not there.

What was racially charged? Saying that people should work to earn skills, and that doing janitor work can help people learn a good work ethic? What's wrong with that?

The Confederacy was not treasonous, for the secession was exactly what the founding fathers agreed was just when the federal government gets too big: to abolish it, or to leave it. This whole idea of treason came out many years after the founding fathers.

Third, the confederate flags is a battle flag, and people have relatives who fought for the confederacy. There were a multitude of reasons for secession, namely the federal government butting into the affairs of the state, a constitutional issue. There is nothing racist about the flag, even though some people have used it in that way since the Civil War, just the way they have used the American flag as well.

If Gingrich has truly jumped up in the polls, it has everything to do with people being glad that someone stood up to ridiculous anti-free speech political correctness. People also like the idea of people working for a living, not being on welfare. Can you blame them?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 AM

37,957 posts, read 18,025,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
One of wives is supposedly exposing him on ABC. Waiting for that to come out.

ABC Insider: Marianne Gingrich Interview Likely To Air Before Primary; Gingrich Daughters Respond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections