Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:45 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,173,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
GOP Presidential Nominee Mitt Romney just wrapped up his speech to the NAACP convention in Houston, focusing mostly on the economy and education reform. Right out of the gate, Romney received laughs from the crowd after cracking a joke about President Obama.
“I appreciate the chance to speak first – even before Vice President Biden gets his turn tomorrow. I just hope the Obama campaign won’t think you’re playing favorites."

Funny how the media only reported the boos, and totally didn't report the standing ovation Mitt Romney got at the end. I highly doubt he gained many votes by giving this speech, but he did gain some respect among some who have been determined not to have any.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepa...acp_convention

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-12-2012 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 02:52 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Video and transcript here: Mitt Romney Central | Mitt Romney’s Speech to the NAACP Convention – Video and Transcript | Mitt Romney Central

Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Funny how the media only reported the boos, and totally didn't report the standing ovation Mitt Romney got at the end. I highly doubt he gained many votes by giving this speech, but he did gain some respect among some who have been determined not to have any.

Romney Receives Standing Ovation for Straight Talk at NAACP Convention - Katie Pavlich
I think it was only your "media" that reported mostly the boos. CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS reported the truth, that Romney was treated with respect except when he disrespected the audience. But, you must give credit to Romney for going and for meeting with Black leaders after ... Oh wait, he brought his own group of Black "leaders" along, huh?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:22 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,068,868 times
Speaking forthrightly, with candor, hardly rises to the level of disrespect. No, putting on the jive, as in how Al Gore and Hillary Clinton did in their respective speeches, disrespects the audience.

Bob, you really need to get a reality check. Your views hardly rise to the level of reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think it was only your "media" that reported mostly the boos. CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS reported the truth, that Romney was treated with respect except when he disrespected the audience. But, you must give credit to Romney for going and for meeting with Black leaders after ... Oh wait, he brought his own group of Black "leaders" along, huh?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:27 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
I believe Romney's speech was intentionally done to raise the ire of the NAACP for campaign fodder.

I won't be a bit surprised when I see that news segment with the booing often in campaign ads this fall. Romney has to rouse the base somehow.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Speaking forthrightly, with candor, hardly rises to the level of disrespect. No, putting on the jive, as in how Al Gore and Hillary Clinton did in their respective speeches, disrespects the audience.

Bob, you really need to get a reality check. Your views hardly rise to the level of reality.
Yeah, he should have put on that jive accent like Hillary did when speaking at that black church in the south.

Barbara Billingsly speaks jive - YouTube

Old 07-12-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I believe Romney's speech was intentionally done to raise the ire of the NAACP for campaign fodder.

I won't be a bit surprised when I see that news segment with the booing often in campaign ads this fall. Romney has to rouse the base somehow.
He used it already in Montana. Clearly the reaction he wanted, hopes to make him look more up in the face of them "uppities".

Old 07-12-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post

Are you trying to say that he didn't bring his own Black supporters to talk to? That the NAACP people who are unaware of him talking to any active leaders afterward, are lying. The NCAAP's Hilary Shelton had been given a list of Romney's "VIPs" prior to the event. I think Rowan martin tweeted this, "Romney bussed in about 200 supporters, including a number of African Americans, including Fla Lt Gov Jennifer Carroll". He is lying too?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:14 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,068,868 times
You are non-responsive to the question I asked about your original post, of Romey being disrespectful in his speech. "except when he disrespected the audience" Just how was he disrespectful?
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Are you trying to say that he didn't bring his own Black supporters to talk to? That the NAACP people who are unaware of him talking to any active leaders afterward, are lying. The NCAAP's Hilary Shelton had been given a list of Romney's "VIPs" prior to the event. I think Rowan martin tweeted this, "Romney bussed in about 200 supporters, including a number of African Americans, including Fla Lt Gov Jennifer Carroll". He is lying too?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Even if Mitt Romney was Howdy Doody, a demographic group with such a high unemployment rate, especially for their younger ones, should be looking to make a change from who is currently in office even if it's just a matter of "we can't be any worse off, let's just give it a try."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections