Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:00 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,183,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Ron Paul is in first place in the latest Public Policy Polling poll, which was from 1/1/2012. He was just one point ahead of Romney, which is basically a tie.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p..._IA_101914.pdf

He was only 2 points behind Romney in the Des Moines Register poll, which is also a statistical tie.

Both polls show Santorum surging. What would be a real shocker is if Santorum got 2nd place ahead of Romney and Paul got 1st. That would make some waves and be an embarrassment for Romney.

Not really, as long as Romney finishes third or higher, it's ok. He was never expected to do all that well in Iowa. Although, from the crowds he has been getting when appearing there, not everyone in Iowa hates him it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 12:24 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,746,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Right now he is second or third place, not first so the question is will Paul drop out when Romney wins Iowa and NH?
Actually, right now we're flying blind. The polls have reshuffled drastically in the last week. We don't have updated numbers for:
South Carolina
Florida
National Polls

We know that Gingrich dropped like a rock in Iowa. The last nationwide polls were taken back when Gingrich was leading in Iowa. Is the rest of the nation following suit and writing off Newt? Nobody knows for certain, but probably. His numbers did appear to be dropping a few weeks ago.

The most recent data we have from South Carolina was over two weeks ago with Gingrich controlling more than 30% of the vote but starting to drop quickly. Romney held a steady 20%. Paul was a very distant third with about 8%. If Gingrich has continued to drop like a rock in SC, who picked up all of his voters? We honestly have no idea.

In Florida, the most recent data is even more outdated. That too saw Gingrich with a huge lead, but dropping fast. Romney was at about 30%. Paul was again a distant third with about 7% of the vote.

All we have recent numbers for is Iowa and New Hampshire. Paul might win Iowa. New Hampshire is looking extremely unlikely. Then there is the X factor that Ron Paul supporters much younger on average. Scientific polls tend to follow trends from past elections and younger adults have generally not shown up well (under 40% in almost all cases) in past elections. So if Ron Paul represents a surge in younger voters showing up, we might see Ron Paul doing a good deal better in the actual vote than the scientific polls say. Not sure if that'd be a game changer exactly, but it's worth consideration. Any given poll might say that Ron Paul is down by 5%, but his numbers in actual voter turnout might have him slightly ahead.

That doesn't win New Hampshire obviously, but it stands to show up in Iowa and anywhere else where Paul is running very close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
On Google Trends, Paul is in first place and WAY ahead of the others. If real people willing to extend their own effort to find out about him on line has any bearing on his popularity and translates to votes, the polls that don't have him in first place are wrong. This is true nationally and in Iowa.

People are far less interested in finding out about Romney or Santorum or anyone else on-line as you can plainly see.

Google Trends: Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum , Newt Gingrich
The numbers on Google Trends shouldn't be surprising. Ron Paul is generally under-reported in the mainstream media and his supporters are younger and very tech savvy. And this very well might be the biggest Internet-based push for a presidential candidate we've ever seen.

Google Trends probably isn't a good measure of voter turnout, though I'd love to be wrong there.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:35 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,255,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I think SC is a must for Paul to win to get the momentum needed, next up is Florida and I do not think he can win there. If that takes place you would have Romney and Paul with 2 states each and the race is on.
Paul certainly has the street cred in South Carolina with his newsletters and his ties to Don Black.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,991,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Paul certainly has the street cred in South Carolina with his newsletters and his ties to Don Black.
Cute...care to explain "his ties" with Don Black? Or should we all just agree that you are being foolish and intentionally misleading?

Old 01-02-2012, 12:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the statement was uncalled for and very tacky...I don't care what you think or who you support, of course we know you would neve support any Republican and should I remind you, Huckabee came in second overall in 2008.

NIta
There was nothing uncalled for, or tacky in their posting

Old 01-02-2012, 12:57 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,255,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Cute...care to explain "his ties" with Don Black? Or should we all just agree that you are being foolish and intentionally misleading?
Don Black is the Grand Dragon of the KKK and owner and webmaster at Stormfront who said on his radio program that Paul was "...one of us".

Paul disavowed his newsletters, but the person who wrote them under his name is on record saying that Paul read and approved every word in them.

Good enough for me.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,769,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is true but so many of the Paul supporters here have been saying for weeks he would win Iowa and now it doesn't look so promising. Why is that and how do you handle the predictions not coming true if indeed he doesn't win or even come in second? I really doubt he will win NH either.

Nita

How do you handle the fact that for months all the BIG government crony capitalists and war mongers have been saying along with the MSM that Paul is unelectable yet he is now positioned to place in both Iowa and New Hampshire?

Please ...

Old 01-02-2012, 01:07 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,825,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Actually he's right, stormfront has had ties to Paul for a while. They actually have endorsed him for president.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/12/2...n-most-issues/

Old 01-02-2012, 01:09 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,769,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Don Black is the Grand Dragon of the KKK and owner and webmaster at Stormfront who said on his radio program that Paul was "...one of us".

Paul disavowed his newsletters, but the person who wrote them under his name is on record saying that Paul read and approved every word in them.

Good enough for me.

More last minute lies from the crony capitalist warmongers ... DEBUNKED racist smear campaign = Epic faiL ... !

Old 01-02-2012, 01:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There was nothing uncalled for, or tacky in their posting
I didn't mean the posting at all: I meant Huntsman's statement...I guess I should have made myself a little clearer.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections