Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:08 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,393,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
On Google Trends, Paul is in first place and WAY ahead of the others. If real people willing to extend their own effort to find out about him on line has any bearing on his popularity, the polls that don't have him in first place are wrong. This is true nationally and in Iowa.

People are far less interested in finding out about Romney or Santorum or anyone else on-line as you can plainly see.
Google trends is a measure of internet traffic. Ron Paul is way ahead because his supporters are more active on the internet (just look at the politics section of City-Data), but that is not an indication that he has more support from the general public.

RealClearPolitics.com is an aggregate of multiple polls and Romney clearly leads New Hampshire. Romney, Paul, and Santorum are in dead heat in Iowa, but as of the last few days both Romney and Santorum have gained while Paul has lost a few percentage points. Romney currently leads Iowa. Gingrich has a clear lead in South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 10:09 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,989,154 times
Quote:
On Google Trends, Paul is in first place and WAY ahead of the others. If real people willing to extend their own effort to find out about him on line has any bearing on his popularity and translates to votes, the polls that don't have him in first place are wrong. This is true nationally and in Iowa.

People are far less interested in finding out about Romney or Santorum or anyone else on-line as you can plainly see.

Google Trends: Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum , Newt Gingrich
I think that is more telling that people think "why google anything, I've learned all I need to know about my candidate from Fox News"

Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,957,908 times
Quote:
On Google Trends, Paul is in first place and WAY ahead of the others. If real people willing to extend their own effort to find out about him on line has any bearing on his popularity and translates to votes, the polls that don't have him in first place are wrong. This is true nationally and in Iowa.

Google Trends: Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum , Newt Gingrich
Ahhhhh, now I get it, if a poll shows Paul leading then they are correct but if they do not then they are wrong and should be ignored. I wonder what the excuse will be if Paul does not win in Iowa and NH, cheating by the rest of the Repubs?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Ahhhhh, now I get it, if a poll shows Paul leading then they are correct but if they do not then they are wrong and should be ignored. I wonder what the excuse will be if Paul does not win in Iowa and NH, cheating by the rest of the Repubs?
You don't really need excuses for not winning Iowa since historically it is not a great predictor of who will go on and win the eventual nomination. You NEED a strong showing...meaning 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You don't really need excuses for not winning Iowa since historically it is not a great predictor of who will go on and win the eventual nomination. You NEED a strong showing...meaning 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.
that is true but so many of the Paul supporters here have been saying for weeks he would win Iowa and now it doesn't look so promising. Why is that and how do you handle the predictions not coming true if indeed he doesn't win or even come in second? I really doubt he will win NH either.

Nita

Old 01-02-2012, 10:29 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,175,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But he doesn't lead in Iowa as of the lastest polls.
Ron Paul is in first place in the latest Public Policy Polling poll, which was from 1/1/2012. He was just one point ahead of Romney, which is basically a tie.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p..._IA_101914.pdf

He was only 2 points behind Romney in the Des Moines Register poll, which is also a statistical tie.

Both polls show Santorum surging. What would be a real shocker is if Santorum got 2nd place ahead of Romney and Paul got 1st. That would make some waves and be an embarrassment for Romney.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
that is true but so many of the Paul supporters here have been saying for weeks he would win Iowa and now it doesn't look so promising. Why is that and how do you handle the predictions not coming true if indeed he doesn't win or even come in second? I really doubt he will win NH either.

Nita
I don't worry about "handling" things. I don't see RP as the be all and end all of politics. I really hope he wins, but even if he doesn't he has (and is continuing) to shape policy discussions in a way that I strongly support...as long as he continues to do so I consider that a big win...we will get there eventually.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,175,209 times
Quote:

Nita
Iowa has predicted the winner 55 percent of the time. The idea that Iowa is not a valid contest is a false idea. A presidential contender must win at least Iowa or New Hampshire to be seen as front runner. I don't recall any time in recent history when someone won the nomination but lost both Iowa and New Hampshire.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,550,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Right now he is second or third place, not first so the question is will Paul drop out when Romney wins Iowa and NH?
Please provide a poll less than 48 hours old that places Paul third.

You can't.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,905 times
Quote:
the statement was uncalled for and very tacky...I don't care what you think or who you support, of course we know you would neve support any Republican and should I remind you, Huckabee came in second overall in 2008.

NIta

That is a misconception. Huckabee came in third. Romney, even after dropping out ended up coming in second. Romney carried eleven states and Huckabee only carried 8.

After Huckabee won Iowa he didn't really do much else except run as a foil for McCain to get him the nomination.

Republican Party presidential primaries, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections