Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think will be the first item on the Republican presidential agenda?
Start another costly war of choice 8 11.27%
Give another few trillion of taxpayer dollars to the bankers 2 2.82%
Raise taxes on everyone who makes less than $250,000 a year to fund yet another generous tax break for wealthy patrons 23 32.39%
Abolish Social Security and Medicare 10 14.08%
Make waterboarding of U.S. citizens undergoing routine interrogations by the police legal 0 0%
Outlaw abortion 1 1.41%
Abolish the federal minimum wage 2 2.82%
Other (please explain) 25 35.21%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 03:10 PM

1,147 posts, read 910,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm a liberal Democrat, Had, but I actually prefer Ron Paul this year. I disagree with Paul on many things, but I am extremely disturbed by the path we are on toward prepetual war and an ever increasing police state.

If Ron Paul is not a choice, though, I want to see Obama reelected. I do not blame him for our economy. Consequently, I do not blame Bush or Barney Frank either. The reality is more complicated than the propoganda, and the truth is that there is plenty of blame to go around. Read Michael Lewis' The Big Short for a succient account of why our economy is in the can at the moment. You can also read All the Devils are Here for a more thorough explanation. Blaming Obama for this mess is foolishness.

The "liberal social agenda" -- whatever that means -- is not that important to me. I'm actually a fairly traditional person. I adhere to live-and-let live principles when it comes to morality. However, if I had my way, I'd like to see more people married, fewer kids out of wedlock, and more flag waving and pride taken in the country.
That "liberal social agenda" wasn't personal. That's just the only damn thing Barry has been able to successfully carry for the last 3 years. Everything else, save maybe dirt-napping Osama, has been a failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 03:33 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,355,107 times
Quote:
If a Republican wins in 2012 and many of the items on my poll come to pass it won't seem so "poor" to you. As extreme as my choices are, they are a pretty accurate reflection of the Republican agenda. If you don't like the choices, perhaps you don't like the GOP.
YOU said "first item". Who has been campaigning on abolishing the min wage as "their first item....or even a top priority?

(just one example of your faulty poll).

PLenty of have said their first order of business would be to work to undo Obamacare? Where is that choice? A skeptic of your motives might think you left that out purposefully because you know that is actually a popular bipartison choice.

I'm sorry, but your poll lacks crediibity.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:35 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,824,310 times
Quote:
After watching last night's debates, I'm convinced my list is pretty accurate. If a Republican wins in 2012, we can expect a war with Iran, increased taxes on the middle class and an erosion of our civil liberties due to "strengthening" of the Patriot. Why are people supporting this party?
Mental illness.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:48 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,746,317 times
Quote:
What do you think will be the first item on his her agenda? If you think it is something other than the poll choices, feel free to explain.
They might go for pure gibbering insanity and push through a Balanced Budget Amendment.

I know, I know, what a bunch of bastards! How could they do that to us??

Old 12-16-2011, 04:14 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,658,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
They might go for pure gibbering insanity and push through a Balanced Budget Amendment.

I know, I know, what a bunch of bastards! How could they do that to us??
Don't be a maroon. We both know that's not going to happen. Now a tax hike on grandma to save Joe Biilionare a few pennies? Sure!

Old 12-16-2011, 05:41 PM

1,332 posts, read 996,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
The poor will get what they deserve for allowing or in the case of the south,helping it to happen. Americans will go bankrupt year after year paying HC cost. SS will will be lost(they hate it anyway)wage slavery will become what 70 to 90%of the people will live under. The south will get even more racist feeling that they made Obama a one term President. This will set blacks even further back because the tea party will use that momentum to get rid of black supervisors and middle management and business owners. The Hispanic community will be punished somehow(don't know how but they will figure it out)the Dem's will slip away because the people they fight for are not the type to want power and control(unfortunately). Business will hire because now with no benefits no rights and wage slave pay it will be a capitalist dream.

You *******s make me laugh.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:20 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,738,152 times
Republicans are pure evil. Everything they are for will hurt someone.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:25 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,824,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Republicans are pure evil. Everything they are for will hurt someone.
Best post of the day

Old 12-16-2011, 06:26 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,658,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Best post of the day
It's the least biased and most accurate.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:10 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,746,317 times
Quote:
Don't be a maroon. We both know that's not going to happen. Now a tax hike on grandma to save Joe Biilionare a few pennies? Sure!
Of course it can't happen, the Democrats are dead set against it. Weren't you paying attention when the Tea Party Republicans pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed for a Balanced Budget Amendment? Who shot them down? The Democrats.

Democrats (and to a lesser degree, establishment Republicans) are just addicted to spending. The very notion of "cutting up the credit cards," even if it was over a 5 year period, is against everything the Democratic Party stands for.

Liberals might actually be forced to cave on this issue if the White House and both houses of Congress are GOP controlled AND there is enough public outrage for them stonewalling any prospective Balanced Budget Amendment.

I'm pretty neutral politically, but having a Balanced Budget Amendment is an endeavor that any sane human being can see the merits of. The GOP took up the cause, therefore the GOP is the party that needs to be in control -- at least for long enough to get a BBA in and done.

After that, they go back to being equally evil in my eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections