Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
This guy is just another insider. He just passed a law requires an out of state company collect income tax on his residents. This is illegal. Most company will not fight for it, because after all, tax is collected on the buyers, not the sellers.

For this reason when NY passed this law, Amazon loss all my business while I was still living in NYC. I only buy from them now because I no longer live in NYC.
i beleive it is sales tax, not income tax and this law has been passed by several states recently. As much as I hate taxes (most of us do) I see the reasoning behind it. BTW, yes, he signed it, but he didn't pass it. The elected representatives passed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,171,306 times
It is a sales tax. Thanks for correcting me.

Anyway, the point is, it is still wrong, and illegal. When NY first passed the law, I read the argument NY has no authority to force out of state companies to collect a sales tax.

Of course, Amazon tried fight it, but probably not worth it because the customer is paying it not them.

Newegg did the right thing. Ignore it completely and does not collect any sales for sales in NY.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,438 times
He is probably the best candidate on the Republican side. It would seem that the other choices are either batshiiitcrazy or Mormon. He would be the lesser of the three evils for many moderates and Independents, although his religous zealotry puts many off. He will need to tone some of that down after the primaries.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:30 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Default Excellent response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Then why do you comment on Obama when it comes to the election, you will not consider voting for him so why discuss it?
Perry will get his behind handed to him by either the ther candidates or Obama if Perry even makes it that far, far too much dirt in Perrys "record" and it will turn off many Repubs not to mention Indes. But go ahead, keep on believing.
Casper
The lunacy on the Right continues to astound. Perry doesn't stand a chance in hell.

Spot on. Their comments on President Obama are always wrong just like their plans for this country. On the hand, the comments slamming Republicans and their candidates are always correct and spot on.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
It is a sales tax. Thanks for correcting me.

Anyway, the point is, it is still wrong, and illegal. When NY first passed the law, I read the argument NY has no authority to force out of state companies to collect a sales tax.

Of course, Amazon tried fight it, but probably not worth it because the customer is paying it not them.

Newegg did the right thing. Ignore it completely and does not collect any sales for sales in NY.
First of all: I must not understand the law cause I can not figure out why you say it is illegal. Of course I am not an attorney so what do I know.

Now, why this doesn't upset me. As I understand it, correct me if I wrong; the taxes go to the state when the order is being sent to: Here is how I see it:

I find a grill at Hope Depot for $100 plus tax (here the tax is about 9%) so we are talking $109.00. I see the same thing on Amazon for $105.00 but no tax and free shipping. If I order from Amazon I have saved $4.00 plus the cost of fuel to get to my local Home Depot, let's say about $5.00. In the process I have cost our state $9.00 in sales tax, I have cost the Hope depot a sale and I have cost some sales person a sale. If enough people purchase this way, you will see more people out of work because the retailers will have less need to hire. All in all, look at what the inpact is on my one sale. I have to admit, I purchase all the time via the net and why? I do save a lot. When they start adding the sales tax onto my orders then I might re-think how I show. BTW, in many places this has been the law for many years and yes, many have chosen just to overlook it.
Nita

Old 08-10-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
He is probably the best candidate on the Republican side. It would seem that the other choices are either batshiiitcrazy or Mormon. He would be the lesser of the three evils for many moderates and Independents, although his religous zealotry puts many off. He will need to tone some of that down after the primaries.
I happen to agree with you, but I think he will tone it down soon.

Nita

Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Can someone please name 1 thing that Rick Perry has done that helped the state of Texas?

(And no-- don't point to the great economy-- he had nothing to do with that)

I ask because Perry really doesn't do anything here. If not doing anything qualifies one to be president than I guess he is the perfect candidate...

Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Then maybe he should be waiting for the election after next to run if he don't have the physical stamina it takes to campaign.
You must have missed the "right after surgery" part.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Can someone please name 1 thing that Rick Perry has done that helped the state of Texas?

(And no-- don't point to the great economy-- he had nothing to do with that)

I ask because Perry really doesn't do anything here. If not doing anything qualifies one to be president than I guess he is the perfect candidate...
He's been governor for 11 years. Californians flee to Texas in droves. He must be doing something right.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:38 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
My impression (right or wrong) is that he is an establishment candidate.

It just seems to me that he has been so heavily recruited (i.e…we have Perry for Prez commercials running in Iowa for the past week or so!) that it makes me suspicious that the political class has simply found their man and want to get him in place so they don’t have to worry about one of the tea party candidates (who aren’t as easily controllably) eventually getting the nomination.

Am I way off base here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections