Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:47 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,321,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I have a theory about why he has waited and it isn't political like everyone thinks nor is it about ability to raise funds decision-making. I think he did not know what to expect with the back surgery he had. I think he is waiting to announce until after the Fox debate because he didn't know if he would be able to stand still that long, in one place on the stage, that soon after surgery. (I know I couldn't which is why I don't go to events where I'd have to stand through them.) If he announced prior to the Fox debate but then didn't participate, it would look bad like he wasn't capable of debating. I understand he only spoke for about 15 minutes at Reliant stadium. All other speaking things since the surgery are not him standing still an hour long. Again, just a theory.
Then maybe he should be waiting for the election after next to run if he don't have the physical stamina it takes to campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 12:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
But Giuliani isn't running. Perry is. Perry doesn't resonate well with the South Florida population.

You should read Perry's comments at the Prayer Rally. If that wasn't a state endorsement of religion, I don't know what is. Not to mention the anti Catholic comments that came out of several speakers mouth, albeit not Perry's.

Giuliani will not be campaigning for Perry heavily in Florida as an Italian and nominal Catholic who was Mayor of the largest Jewish city in the world and the largest Italian and Irish city in the US.

You may want to actually learn something before you make such broad statements.
Oh, have you talked to Giulani personally about this? Did he tell you he wasn't going to campaign for Perry? You don't don't have a clue nor do I if Guilani will campaign for him.

Nita

Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,713,493 times
His religious allies have called the Pope the W***e of Babylon" and Catholics and Mormons, Satan Worshippers

Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
For what I know of this guy, he is just another generic copy of the intolerant right wing extremism that permeates the gop, the only candidate that stands out is Ron Paul, but of course he does not have a chance to get nominated....
And this is almost funny: You say he is a right wing extremist and the other libs are saying he doesn't stand a chance cause he used to be a Democrat. It shows how little some people know. Which is it? Is he a Democrat in Republican garb or an extremist right winger?

Nita

Old 08-09-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Then maybe he should be waiting for the election after next to run if he don't have the physical stamina it takes to campaign.
Did anyone say he didn't have the physical stmina to compaign? The comment was made about his recent surgery and standing for long periods of time right now. So what is your point other than being a little nervous about his chances..??

Nita

Old 08-09-2011, 04:04 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,234,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And this is almost funny: You say he is a right wing extremist and the other libs are saying he doesn't stand a chance cause he used to be a Democrat. It shows how little some people know. Which is it? Is he a Democrat in Republican garb or an extremist right winger?

Nita
He's both, to different sets of voters.

The far-right, which is the loudest bunch in the GOP today, will despise his ties to the Democrats, Gore, immigration policies, etc, and call him a RINO. There are many posts on C-D from conservatives saying as much. They swear they've learned their lesson from voting for Bush II, another social conservative/fiscal spendthrift, and won't do it again.

Moderates, especially those who are uncomfortable with an extremely religious-oriented conservative social mission, will not like him due to him seeming like a theocrat.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:15 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,448,563 times
Default Rick Perry to announce

Here in Texas, anyone paying attention has seen Perry positioning himself for the 2012 run the past couple of years.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
He's both, to different sets of voters.

The far-right, which is the loudest bunch in the GOP today, will despise his ties to the Democrats, Gore, immigration policies, etc, and call him a RINO. There are many posts on C-D from conservatives saying as much. They swear they've learned their lesson from voting for Bush II, another social conservative/fiscal spendthrift, and won't do it again.

Moderates, especially those who are uncomfortable with an extremely religious-oriented conservative social mission, will not like him due to him seeming like a theocrat.
Some of what you are saying could be true, but I think many will look past certain issues, especially what he was or wasn't 25 years ago. I really don't think his socially conservative views are going to hurt him that much with the moderates. What will happen if he gets the nomination: who knows?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Here in Texas, anyone paying attention has seen Perry positioning himself for the 2012 run the past couple of years.
Well you might see it that way, I have a heck of a lot of Republican friends and family that are very involved in politics in Texas that are surprised at his deciding to run....

Nita

Old 08-10-2011, 05:02 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,180,204 times
This guy is just another insider. He just passed a law requires an out of state company collect income tax on his residents. This is illegal. Most company will not fight for it, because after all, tax is collected on the buyers, not the sellers.

For this reason when NY passed this law, Amazon loss all my business while I was still living in NYC. I only buy from them now because I no longer live in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections