Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 08:34 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,724,327 times

Advertisements

Like them or not...unions are the only real protection / security a worker has against a company. Eliminating them may save companies dollars but is there any guarantee of that savings, or any part of it, being passed on to the general public? What about the quality of a given product or service? Doesn't quality tend to decrease when compensation, direct or indirect, is reduced? Furthermore, removing them will likely just widen the gap between the little fish and the big fish...the haves and the have nots...and isn't wealth distribution is one of our country's biggest challenges?

I understand the desire for prudent fiscal policies but I think we should be careful what we wish for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Doesn't look good if that is what Trump is about. Oh well. Why can't we get someone DECENT who cares about the middle class?
Maybe because the powerful and the wealthy don't want to share...

Old 04-25-2011, 09:05 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,322,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
And gold is the reason for the wars we wage? I have sensed for the longest time that we are kept relatively in the dark on the inner workings of our government and whose interests are being served.

Thanks for the reading tip. I haven't honed in on any one particular writer. Just lots of periodicals on the subjects of wealth concentration and the supposed budgets behind the budget.
Black gold is one of the main reasons ... oil.

Paul Krugman is an economist who writes a column for the New York Times twice a week. He has also written several books.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Maybe because the powerful and the wealthy don't want to share...
No. That's why I was attracted to two "fringe" candidates in the last election ... Ron Paul on the Republican side and Dennis Kucinich on the Democratic side. They are both from opposite sides of the spectrum politically, but I found that both of them actually were putting forth policies that were strongly in favor of the American middle class. Much better than the frontrunners of the Repubs and Dems in that respect.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Like them or not...unions are the only real protection / security a worker has against a company. Eliminating them may save companies dollars but is there any guarantee of that savings, or any part of it, being passed on to the general public? What about the quality of a given product or service? Doesn't quality tend to decrease when compensation, direct or indirect, is reduced? Furthermore, removing them will likely just widen the gap between the little fish and the big fish...the haves and the have nots...and isn't wealth distribution is one of our country's biggest challenges?

I understand the desire for prudent fiscal policies but I think we should be careful what we wish for.
Public sector unions are killing the middle class where I live with all the six figure beat cops and public school teachers who get free healthcare for life for them and their families and barely have to pay into their generous pensions. It's ridiculous and it's unfair because they bargain from both sides of the table when the unions contribute millions to politicians. The taxpayers are the ones stuck picking up the ever-increasing tab. Unions don't belong in the public sector where they can victimize taxpayers with impunity. If they belong anywhere, it's in the private sector where they have to at least help their employers make a profit to justify raises instead of simply demand them twice a year (yes, raises twice a year for Long Island teachers) from the politicians they have bought and paid for.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:12 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,574,384 times
No! The man can't even figure out his mutiple marriages so how can he figure out our nation?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:

What you say may have some truth to it, but what was needed 100 years ago and what is needed and works today are different things: 1-unions let themselves get too powerful and 2-forcing someone to belong to a union in order to work somewhere is plain wrong and 3-do you have any idea how many non union shops want to stay exactly that way?

Nita

Old 04-25-2011, 09:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Black gold is one of the main reasons ... oil.

Paul Krugman is an economist who writes a column for the New York Times twice a week. He has also written several books.
He is also a screaming lib.

Nita

Old 04-25-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
He is also a screaming lib.

Nita
Well considering his blog is entitled "The Conscience of a Liberal" I would say you are correct.

However, I don't judge people on labels like Liberal or Conservative or ____, nor do I agree in LOCKSTEP with everything anyone has to say. I look at their individual ideas. I don't agree with everything he says, but Krugman has some very good ideas.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
No. That's why I was attracted to two "fringe" candidates in the last election ... Ron Paul on the Republican side and Dennis Kucinich on the Democratic side. They are both from opposite sides of the spectrum politically, but I found that both of them actually were putting forth policies that were strongly in favor of the American middle class. Much better than the frontrunners of the Repubs and Dems in that respect.
Whether or not their policies are valid or not, these guys have as much chance as Ralph Nadar at getting elected because they are too far from the accepted range of ideas. I would go farther and say that if their policies were decidely pro middle class, it would lessen their chances of ever getting elected. Not because I agree or disagree with them. that has little to do with it. But because if their sentiments go against the power set, the resistance they get will kill any chances they have in an election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections