Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:41 PM

524 posts, read 1,370,803 times

Advertisements

when I am home in EP..I always go to Juarez..I just use common sense when I am over there..and I have never once gotten drunk there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 07:23 PM

507 posts, read 2,062,635 times
I used to go to Jrz. regularly (about 3-4 times a month) up until about 2 months ago. In August I was in a car accident on the outskirts of town. A punk 17 yr. old kid rammed into me. Rear end of my car was smashed and the kid waived a gun at me, then drove off. Thought I was gonna die that day. $1700 damage out of my own pocket. Now I am just too chicken **** to go. I'll wait until until after the city implodes and read about everything in the news. May God have mercy on that city.

Last edited by Bo; 10-26-2009 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Replaced veiled profanity with real word. If you must use that word, let City-Data's banned-word filter replace it for you.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:06 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,444,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
I used to go to Jrz. regularly (about 3-4 times a month) up until about 2 months ago. In August I was in a car accident on the outskirts of town. A punk 17 yr. old kid rammed into me. Rear end of my car was smashed and the kid waived a gun at me, then drove off. Thought I was gonna die that day. $1700 damage out of my own pocket. Now I am just too chicken **** to go. I'll wait until until after the city implodes and read about everything in the news. May God have mercy on that city.
Hey glad you made it OK. I really believe that an armed society is a polite one, if that 17 yo waved a gun in some cities in Texas he would have been one dead POS since people that carry concealed do not pull their gun unless they intend to use it. It seems in Mexico only the criminals are armed and the law abiding citizens have to resign themselves to being victims.

Last edited by Bo; 10-26-2009 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: updated quote to match original

Old 10-26-2009, 02:02 PM

Lipbalm:
Hey thanks for that. Yeah, it all happened in about 12-15 seconds - totally surreal, I just sat there stunned, like a scene out of a movie. I'm parked on the side of a dirt road, look in my rearview mirror and there's this old Ford truck (late 70s/early 80s) barreling at me at high speed. No time to think, all I could do was duck down and hope for the best. Two seconds later, the truck hits my car (a 2008 Corolla) - thankfully at an angle - and clips the rear driver side, but smashing in the left rear bumper, rear wheel (the tire had a 4 inch hole and the rim was bent) and bending left rear strut and axle. Ford truck radiator appeared to be shooting out steam. Anyway, guy stopped about 20 twenty yards away, gets out, looks at me and yells something about my mom, **** and mierda, shows me his pistol, stares at me for a couple of seconds, then drives off. I wanted to avoid dealing with Juarez' finest policia, so thankfully there was a llantera down the road. Car was still drivable, just needed a new wheel and tire. Guy sold me a used rin and tire for $10 so I could limp back into the U.S. at Santa Teresa PofE. Somehow I avoided serious bodily injury or even death that day. Don't know how. Suffice it to say, not going to Jrz. any time soon.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:35 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,444,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
Lipbalm:
Hey thanks for that. Yeah, it all happened in about 12-15 seconds - totally surreal, I just sat there stunned, like a scene out of a movie. I'm parked on the side of a dirt road, look in my rearview mirror and there's this old Ford truck (late 70s/early 80s) barreling at me at high speed. No time to think, all I could do was duck down and hope for the best. Two seconds later, the truck hits my car (a 2008 Corolla) - thankfully at an angle - and clips the rear driver side, but smashing in the left rear bumper, rear wheel (the tire had a 4 inch hole and the rim was bent) and bending left rear strut and axle. Ford truck radiator appeared to be shooting out steam. Anyway, guy stopped about 20 twenty yards away, gets out, looks at me and yells something about my mom, **** and mierda, shows me his pistol, stares at me for a couple of seconds, then drives off. I wanted to avoid dealing with Juarez' finest policia, so thankfully there was a llantera down the road. Car was still drivable, just needed a new wheel and tire. Guy sold me a used rin and tire for $10 so I could limp back into the U.S. at Santa Teresa PofE. Somehow I avoided serious bodily injury or even death that day. Don't know how. Suffice it to say, not going to Jrz. any time soon.
Wow, again glad you made it back. I was in EP this weekend and my only relative that still lives there called my mom telling her how some guys got ambushed/killed right in front of her house in Juarez. Your story and many like it just proves what a failed society and country Mexico is becoming and will not get better before it gets worse. I thank my lucky stars that my mom had the vision to move to the U.S all those years ago. God Bless the USA!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Wow, again glad you made it back. I was in EP this weekend and my only relative that still lives there called my mom telling her how some guys got ambushed/killed right in front of her house in Juarez. Your story and many like it just proves what a failed society and country Mexico is becoming and will not get better before it gets worse. I thank my lucky stars that my mom had the vision to move to the U.S all those years ago. God Bless the USA!

L-B: Thanks again. I certainly don't mean to slam Mexico or anything, but I used to be one of those that gave Mexico and Jrz. the benefit of the doubt, and I would go there anyway. But until the rule of law and redress for injuries take a more significant role in Mex. legal system, I'm not going back any time soon.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,581 times
Default Question about Juarez

I will be going to Juarez soon and stay there for a couple months. The reason I am going is to see my father I havent seen in 10 years. I'm really excited about seeing him, but I have heard the news about Juarez. He tells me that he doesnt live in a bad neighborhood. So my question is, is there such thing as a "good" or "okay" neighborhood?

Old 02-27-2010, 11:20 PM

121 posts, read 402,577 times
No. Lack of law and order makes things pretty uniform.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Don't go out after dark. People in Juarez go to work and school and stop at the store and then they stay in their homes. Even those who still insist it's safe enough -- and they probably are as long as they aren't involved in cartel business, don't take evening strolls any more in their neighborhood. They stay inside.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,581 times
Thats good to know. I plan on maybe seeing the city, but only during the daytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso