Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 PM

138 posts, read 751,155 times

Advertisements

Word of advice. Go with a group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 09:56 PM

138 posts, read 751,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pristupa View Post
I'am considering teaching English in a Mexican Border town on the Mexican
side. Is there a market there? I would live in Laredo or El Paso and go across
during the day. The cultual aspects of a border town as EnjoyEP stated would
be refreshing relief from suburban culture in the snow belt where I'am temporarily agonizingly enduring. It seems the colder the climate colder the people.
Don't do it, even if it is possible. Have you checked into the teacher permits??
Refreshing, NOT. The border towns are like a third world country (I wonder why). Most of them except in Juarez are very small and backward (and dangerous).

Old 10-29-2006, 09:13 PM

131 posts, read 189,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pristupa View Post
I'am considering teaching English in a Mexican Border town on the Mexican
side. Is there a market there? I would live in Laredo or El Paso and go across
during the day. The cultual aspects of a border town as EnjoyEP stated would
be refreshing relief from suburban culture in the snow belt where I'am temporarily agonizingly enduring. It seems the colder the climate colder the people.
Go to GainesvilleGa the 100,000 city population is 80+% mexicans from Oaxaca,Vera Cruz,Chiapas,Tabasco,Guadalajara,Guanaguato and places like this.They need help.These border buddies in Juarez speaks english.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 29,746 times
Default Juarez is great!

I'm 54, anglo. I go to Juarez all the time and have never had any problems. I think it's probably safer than Albuquerque where I live. The people are wonderful and very gentle for the most part. If you read the Diario, the local paper, you read about crime there, shootings and gang stuff, so I'm sure there are places you need to avoid, especially at night. I often stay in cheap hotels downtown, usually La Plaza near the church. I always worry about someone getting in my room and taking stuff but it's never happened. Last time I stayed in the Hotel del Rio and they let me put my motorcycle in the lobby to get it off the street (though the hotel is not as good as it used to be). I even dropped my wallet at a gas station once and came back an hour later and someone had turned it in to the clerk. The cash was gone but the credit cards were still in it.

I love to ride around Juarez on my motorcycle and check stuff out. I took a bicycle down on the bus once and that was fun. There's an awesome new skate/bmx park there. In summer there a bike races through town on the weekends and bullfights. If you just go downtown don't go to the tourist market (left on 16th of September St.). Just keep going straight on the main street (Ave. Benito Juarez?). There is a much more interesting market southeast of the cathedral. There is also a great restaurant just east of the church. I don't remember the name but it's the only place to get good coffee downtown and they have good food and pastries. I love Juarez.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:54 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,691,011 times
During the day, it is relatively safe, but at night, thats a whole different story. I lived in El Paso for 3 years, had a girlfriend in Juarez, and spent all my weekends partying in Juarez becuase I was too young to drink in El Paso at the time. If you do go at night, drive, do not walk across the border. I was warned about this and decided to heed the warning shortly there after. The first time, myself and 3 buddies got jumped from behind. A quick hit and run. Not sure what their motive was but I think they thought my buddy was by himself as they fleed as soon as we fought back. The second time I walked across was because me and a buddy had gotten left at a club. So we had to walk back at night so we could get to the US and catch a cab. We watched a guy get stabbed and robbed on the bridge. It is real easy to get in trouble down there after hours. The cops are corrupt, but can be bought, or at least back in my days (93-95). There are not highways down there, so it's easy to get lost or end up on a side road. Just becareful and smart and you'll be fine. Like I said, only time you really have to worry is at night. During the day, that city is a completely different place.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:37 AM

368 posts, read 1,330,802 times
Every single person I know thats gone to Juarez had their car robbed or their car stolen.I went and my girlfriend got scared after a few blocks into the city,everyone thats been there knows Juarez is not a good place,also dont wear valuables when walking the streets.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:06 AM

4 posts, read 22,601 times
Anyone who thinks Juarez is safe needs to take a stroll near Mariscal street one night. When I first moved to El Paso a friend took me bar hoping near there as it got dark. Saw a guy get jumped by about 3 other guys, one "meeting" that looked like a drug deal was happening, nasty hookers, and the Juarez police were just cruising around like nothing was happening.
Worst place I have ever seen in my life. I never went back.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:14 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,963,142 times
No its not safe.. the cops are on the take, hold kids in the jail until the ransom is paid.. and has everyone forgotten the two El paso Police officers we had to pay a ransom to get back when the Juarez police took them and held them.. when they were chasing the suspect across the border? How about the dump truck that recently drove aross our so called river filled with drugs.. when stopped by the border patrol, mexico police/military charged across with Ak47's shooting everything up and drove the truck back across.

How about all the dead women they are finding under that church in mexico.. and the other bodies they have been finding over there. Let us not forget Mexicos biggest business.. kid-napping.. so yeah come on down, go on across.. but know I warned you first.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,500 times
Wink juarez is not unsafe at all

i have read some of the posting, and they are absolutely true, but not that bad. i have lived all my life in juarez and there is people of all cultures and thinking, if you are planning to teach in juarez i am sure that you are gona love the people here because we are friendly, confident, kind etc. if you do not want a problem then just don't interfere in others life or problems. it happens around the world not just in juarez ( i am talking about if some one is attacking other that is their problem, not yours) also there are some good places to go, all you have to do is to respect people and be friendly and you will be trated the same way and dont be afraid of juarez, just dont go to unsage places like downton or anapra

Old 05-20-2007, 10:53 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,610,558 times
Juarez is safe. There is drug violence but it is not aimed at the people coming over from El Paso. If it is your intent to find trouble then you will find it, but that is true of any major city.

I prefer to walk because the bridge is so close and it is easy. If you are driving in your car it will be safe, I promise all you have to do is give the foot patrol policia four-five bucks and they will make sure of it. I know you should not bride the police but why not? You tip more for crappy service at a restaurant.

At night you will find a lot of drunks coming back over (NMSU, UTEP, and even the Fort Bliss Soldiers). It used to be a big thing for high schoolers to go party in Juarez but EPPD has cracked down on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso