Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times

Advertisements

True. It probably is better to look like a tourist so you don't look like someone that someone else wants to get. No innocent tourists in Juarez have been killed yet, everyone was either from there or visiting relatives.

As far as the people there looking happy, I've heard that's not the case, many are suffering PTS symptoms and a lot of shops, stores, restaurants are closed after 5pm. People I know who still go there because they have to say it's eerily quiet now, not like in the old days when hundreds of people were walking along the streets and things were lively, they say people get out of work, head straight home and stay inside all evening. They can still live okay behind locked doors - they watch television, play video games, surf the internet but no more going out for late night strolls. Or they come to El Paso to have fun where the people are happy and smiling, not a care in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,380,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
So, is Juarez safe to visit?
Um, no.

53 killed in three days in Juarez, including police officer | World | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,610,558 times
I have to give credit to El Paso city officials and police. Having one of the safest cities in the USA despite being right across the river from the most violent city in the World.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:22 AM

262 posts, read 911,386 times
Why go to Juarez & shop? I take out of town visitors to the El Paso Saddleblanket just across Interstate 10 from Cielo Vista Mall. Very huge store, used to be a bowling alley. Takes you at least 2 hours to tour the store. Its like one big pinata, full of Mexican goods, saddles, jewelry, boots, rustic furniture, leather goods etc. Prices are very reasonable.

Some vendors that are still in business in Juarez come to the Saddleblanket to resell in Juarez. So figure whatever you pay for in Juarez is cheaper at the El Paso Saddleblanket.

Store is very pet friendly. I take my "Dejjers" there all the time.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,535 times
Google how many people are killed there every year................If you like gambling with your life then take the risk.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:13 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,141,019 times
Great post. Hopefully it was in time. The last was only a year ago.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:28 PM

643 posts, read 1,314,342 times
Safe to say they probably didn't make it back. Pour out some liquor for them next time you get your swig on!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:39 PM

32 posts, read 72,833 times
Default Juarez Safe? (probably a dumb question)

I'll be visiting El Paso from the 24th to the 26th.

Would it be safe to walk into Juarez during the day? I'm guessing the answer is an affirmative NO. But I heard violence has subsided a little bit recently, so I thought I'd ask.

Also is the Mexican food better on the Juarez side? I ate Mexican food in Tijuana a couple months back and I've yet to find a good Mexican restaurant in the US. I'd like to taste Mexican food that doesn't use Americanized ingredients. I don't mind if the food is unhygienic as long as it has lots of flavor.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:33 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,141,019 times
Perfect time to ask about safety in regards to Juarez. It has been about two years since we could document any real incidents from over the border. Yesterday a bullet struck someone downtown. I am surprised the naysayers and bloom/gloom regulars having jumped all over it.

I don't think it is worth the gamble to cross over. I haven't for the better part of a decade. I have friends who have started going over again. More than likely you will be fine but why play with those odds? Everything you are looking for can probably be found in El Paso or southern New Mexico.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Violence is considerably down in Juarez but I don't know if many tourists are going over there yet. No tourists were ever killed in Juarez, most of the violence is targeted just like anywhere but I wouldn't want to drive a big 4x4 truck or SUV over there because there are carjackings.

The mayor of Juarez is making it very clear that the bullet didn't come from Juarez because it would have been a mile away, he says it's likely a bullet from the weapons being sent to Mexico in Obama's Fast and Furious program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso