Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times

Advertisements

From a bureaucratic perspective perspective so long as the teacher does not have ANY managerial authority over the student there is no problem. From a social perspective it is no body's business except for the people involved. This discussion is just another example of the rampant (I hope that is not too sugestive) pruditry on this board.

When I was a senior in HS many decades ago at the height of late 50's pruditry I did not restrict my "dating" to high school girls. Given the memories I am darn glad I did not follow all the restrictions my parents and other well meaning adults were trying to put me under.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:32 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
GregW, I can understand why a high school senior wouldn't restrict their dating options, but I think that what people are saying here is that, like it or not, society IS going to think there's something inappropriate about an adult dating a student who hasn't yet graduated high school. The teacher here is the older one, and is the one people are going to be judging; not the high school student. Maybe in an ideal world it's only up to the two people involved, but the reality is that a teacher dating a high school student is a good way to destroy a fledgling career. Why risk it? Especially when you can just wait a few months until the student is out of school and the level of stigma goes down? If it's such a great love it can last a short time, and if it's not, then is it really worth the risk? I don't think it's prudish to point out the obvious, which is that most people will look at this situation and consider the teacher to be, at the very least, lacking good judgement and common sense.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,848 times
If the teacher follows through with the relationship and it is discovered, he/she will lose their job. There is not a time when it is ok to date a student, whether you are their teacher or not. Teachers have an ethics code to follow. If you can't follow it, don't teach.

Last edited by smel; 03-08-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,447,646 times
Wait until after the HS student has graduated, if you want to spare the two of you a lot of grief.

One of the young new, HS teachers, and one of the HS SRs were very much attracted to one another -- he was not a student of hers. They did not date until after the fellow had graduated from HS, and then it seems, no one really cared or objected. They were quite a topic of discussion, however, in that awful teachers' lounge!

They went on to date for a number of years, and had a close, good relationship. You figure there isn't that much age difference -- right out of college put her at about 22, and he was 18, and one of the best students in the HS. Very mature for his age, and quite a nice, young gentleman at 18.

One of our young assistant principals dated one of the cute young student teachers who was assigned to the HS during her practicum semester, and even that was a bit frowned upon.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:40 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,193,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This discussion is just another example of the rampant (I hope that is not too sugestive) pruditry on this board.

Not too suggestive, Greg, but since you're arguing your own word choice, I feel obliged to point out "pruditry" isn't a word.

And if the belief that social inequality is an ill-chosen foundation for romantic liaisons equals prudery, than I'll happily consider myself a prude-- though more correctly sejant rather than rampant.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:18 PM

13,403 posts, read 28,721,568 times
From what I understand, in NJ anyway, as long as it's a student/teacher, no, because the teacher is in a supervisory role over the student......

Old 03-09-2010, 07:12 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,118 times
The policy in my district is simple: No teacher should be in a personal relationship with a student in any school in the district.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,064 times
First, let me state that I agree the teacher/student dating situation is somewhat unprofessional and could be a dangerous career move should the relationship go sour.

That being said, I know two male high school teachers who not only dated their students, but married them. One couple married in June after the female's May graduation. They had a big wedding, country club reception, and a huge newspaper announcement. Everyone was well aware they were dating, even the administrators, director of schools and school board. The other teacher was actually the girls basketball coach and he married one of his players less than six months after her graduation. This relationship had been much more discrete and their wedding was low key. Both couples managed to stay married close to ten years and in both cases it was the female who left.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,689,634 times
The teacher can date the student, but shouldn't.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 8,712 times
Theres nothing wrong with dating. As long as you're not having sex.. its not like its against the law. And since she or he is a senior about to graduate then it shouldnt be a problem.. i mean they are 18. People will say its bad because the words "High school student" are in it and it makes it seem like they are a child.. but at that point seniors aren't children, they are adults who can make their own decisions and do what they want to do like any other adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education