Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumingman View Post
but then again if this teacher was not a teacher lets say this person was a fireman it would all be good right no problem.

why does being a teacher give new rules and laws that dont even exist.

lets see 22 year old teacher dating 18 year old high schooler = bad idea

22 year old fireman/self-employed worker dating 18 year old high schooler = no problem??

why not just ban all type profession sort like relationships like

doctor prohibited from dating patients, or lawyer thier clients, how about even banning coaches from any sport date any athelete...

why should teacher be the only ones put under the microscope

why not just make all students legally be minors??? doesnt the law say 17 is the age of consent and considered to be an adult
I do think it is inappropriate for doctors to date patients, lawyers to date clients and coaches to date their own athletes. In the case of doctors and lawyers, I believe such dating is against their code of ethics. There are coaches who do, e.g. Lindsey Vonn married her coach and I have heard of a handful of other examples.

Why would a college graduate want to date someone who hasn't even gradated from high school? She'll probably go off to college and get involved with guys closer to her own age.

17 may be the age of consent for a woman to have sex w/o it being considered "statutory rape" in your state. A person may not legally vote until age 18, and in most states, that is considered the age of majority.

BTW, what do her parents think? If it were my daughter, and I have two in their early 20s now, I'd be appalled.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-07-2010 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-07-2010, 09:32 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I think many people would be uncomfortable with a college graduate of any profession dating a high school student still in school. I don't think there's any professional bias here. That 4+ years makes a big difference when one of the two is still in high school. Graduation from high school is a big milestone, a transition from one life stage into the next, and I think that's a more important marker than just age alone (if you're talking from an ethical, not legal, standpoint). Like it or not, most of society is going to see someone, teacher or not, of 22 years or older dating a high school senior as having either ulterior motives or of being a loser (i.e. stuck in the past, immature, etc.). Since most people don't want people of either cateogry teaching their kids, I suppose it could have more serious professional ramifications for a teacher than it would for someone in some jobs.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:33 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,269 times
Quote:
but then again if this teacher was not a teacher lets say this person was a fireman it would all be good right no problem.

why does being a teacher give new rules and laws that dont even exist.

lets see 22 year old teacher dating 18 year old high schooler = bad idea

22 year old fireman/self-employed worker dating 18 year old high schooler = no problem??

why not just ban all type profession sort like relationships like

doctor prohibited from dating patients, or lawyer thier clients, how about even banning coaches from any sport date any athelete...

why should teacher be the only ones put under the microscope

why not just make all students legally be minors??? doesnt the law say 17 is the age of consent and considered to be an adult
Teachers are trusted to be alone with children every day. That is why it is different.

If the kid is still in high school and living with his/her parents, he/she is still a child in my mind.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
An educator dating a student is generally a huge breach of professional ethics, whether or not that student is one of his/her students (similar to how most seats of higher learning prohibit relationships between professors and students, even though the students are primarily of age, and even if the student does not have that professor for any classes).

I would imagine that it is prohibited in most situations, anyway. I would also consider it a fantastic way to shoot your career in the foot.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times
5 or 10 year difference that in of itself is confusing. Is it 5 or 10 year difference?
Are you having a relationship?
You will stain your record and people must be talking already.
He's not out of school yet.
Have you met his mother?

Old 03-08-2010, 06:52 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
What would an 18 year old see in some 28 year old, old fart teacher?

Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
I

Is this relationship still unacceptable?? please give your opinions

btw lets say the age difference is very minimal maybe 5-10 years difference... not a 40 year old going with a 18 year old

It is if he's my son!

I don't know if it would get the teacher in trouble with her job or not. But the "ick" factor here is enormous, for reasons already cited.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
This post seems to have evolved into an assumption that the teacher is a woman, and the student is a man. However, the OP's name is drumingman. Despite the fact that the female teacher/male student relationships get a lot of press, the more common situation is male teacher/female student, from what I have read. That seems to be the case in the OP's query.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:08 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,566 times
What about maturity comingled with a person's age? Student=very bad choice. Teacher+teacher=good choice.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:08 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times
Seems to me the question would boil down to whether the school system had a policy prohibiting a teacher from dating ANY student in the system. If so, then the teacher should not do it. If not, then I'd say go ahead.

Certainly universities do not prohibit professors/instructors/TA's from dating students... happens quite often, actually. However, profs who date students in their classes are asking for trouble (too easy for a harassment or biased treatment claim to be made). Some -- but not most -- universities prohibit dating a student enrolled in your course, stipulating that dating of students should only occur if a prof has no grading authority over the student (i.e. after the semester is over or date a student who is not enrolled in your course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education