Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 02:02 PM

9,895 posts, read 7,781,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I probably won't be buying a house guys.

Very difficult.

Markets are crazy.

I'll use whatever i have for starting a business.
Markets are not crazy in most locations.

If you start a business, you will have a harder time purchasing a home. You'll need to jump through a few more hoops and provide 2 years of profitable tax returns.

Getting a mortgage is easier with a steady paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 02:05 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,566,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Markets are not crazy in most locations.

If you start a business, you will have a harder time purchasing a home. You'll need to jump through a few more hoops and provide 2 years of profitable tax returns.

Getting a mortgage is easier with a steady paycheck.
What's goin' on in this world

What's goin' on

Old 02-18-2016, 02:07 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I live outside of Denver currently. Closer to Denver, there is a neighborhood called Wash Park. These are generally older homes, large trees, etc. You normally wouldn't find anything under 500K in this neighborhood. It is extremely sought after and houses really don't come up for sale all that often. Well, I would LOVE to live in this neighborhood. Unfortunately, my salary doesn't afford me to buy a 500K home. So, I bought elsewhere where my salary could afford a house.

Why should I feel that I am entitled to live in a certain neighborhood when I cannot afford it? Chances are, those that do live in Wash Park have worked hard to get into Wash Park. I'm not jealous of those living there, I just say to myself that I need to keep working hard myself and hopefully I'll have the money to eventually buy in Wash Park.

Here is just a quick example that I found of a house for sale.

1059 S Williams St, Denver, CO 80209 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
we have similar problems here in Charleston.

653 Atlantic St, Mount Pleasant, SC 29464 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4_M57520-16056

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4_M59325-65176

I like this city, but I'm moving out. I'm a single guy, I make about twice the median income, and I just can't afford to compete for housing with baby boomers.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,119,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
When you're 65 and have rented your entire life and the property taxes have necessarily skyrocketed (taking the rent with it) and all the rent money you blew represents forgone nest egg (taking retirement off the table), it perhaps feels even more unfair.

I won't be in that position. But then, I've made different decisions than you have.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:08 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,566,760 times
Surely seems like '08 all over again.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:13 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Surely seems like '08 all over again.
More like 06

Old 02-18-2016, 02:16 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,002,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What's your neighborhood minimum lot size requirement? That is sufficient exclusivity to exclude at least the bottom fourth of Americans.

As for "discipline with regards to paying bills" I'm confident I spend far far far less than do you.

Pretty much anyone SHOULD have stellar credit with a good paying job.
I don't think "exclusivity" means what you think it means. There is NOBODY that is excluded from buying in my neighborhood (which has 1/3 acre lot minimums). If you can afford the prices of the homes here, you are FREE to buy it. If you can afford it, there is NOBODY telling you that you can't.

If the bottom fourth of Americans can't AFFORD to buy in my neighborhood, that doesn't mean they are being excluded. It just means they can't afford it. That's life, not exclusion.

I don't think "paying bills" means what you think it means. How much you spend has nothing to do with paying on time, in full. Same with discipline. You have a judgement against you. Whatever the myriad of excuses you have about why you couldn't pay that bill, the bottom line is that you did not pay the bill. If you have $5 in bills and don't pay it, or $50,000 in bills and you don't pay it, the outcome is the same - you don't have the discipline to pay your bills.

Pretty much anyone with a college degree should have a good paying job. But that's not always the case.

Pretty much anyone that complains about not having enough money should work at least 40 hours a week, if not more. But that's not always the case.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:18 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,002,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Actually, there are a lot of amendments to the Homestead act.

This was the one I was talking about. It is called "Save our homes" and it limited the increase each year to 3%.

https://www.ocpafl.org/RP/SOH.aspx

Without this, the tax amount is based upon current assessed value minus the Homestead amount of 25,000 or 50,000 depending on the house.

This 3% is the part I felt was unfair for new home buyers. Of course, when you are established in your house, eventually, you will be the one with the cheaper tax amount compared to new home buyers, but I still feel that everyone's tax bill should be calculated the same.
And I personally feel that eventually you should own your home outright. Which means no taxes paid after you hit a certain age. The way the taxes are set up now, you are never "free and clear". Even after paying 70 years of taxes.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:24 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,733,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
we have similar problems here in Charleston.

653 Atlantic St, Mount Pleasant, SC 29464 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

107 May Ln, Mount Pleasant, SC 29464 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

728 Pitt St, Mount Pleasant, SC 29464 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

I like this city, but I'm moving out. I'm a single guy, I make about twice the median income, and I just can't afford to compete for housing with baby boomers.
That's super cheap.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,510,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I won't be in that position. But then, I've made different decisions than you have.

True. My decisions not to cheat on taxes 30 years ago and not to file bankruptcy 15 years ago are still killing me financially today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics