Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 07:37 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,754,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Simply indexing the Home Owner Exemption would have been highly regressive.

I would never want renters stuck in the rent slavery days...when people had to pay rents based on someone else's opinion of value.

(So, yes, rent control was the perfect renter response to Prop 13.)
Taxes are forced...

Renters are free to accept or decline... the law even provides most receive 60 day notice in advance.

Taxes are due as assessed without exception.

I have filed property tax appeals and won... it took 29 months for me to receive the refund from the time I paid plus I had to file a $50 hearing fee...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 08:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
What I was saying is that there is no Kia of new homes. They only build BMWs. When I went on the market I only wanted 950 to 1150 sq.ft.

It doesn't exist new.
So don't buy new. In many markets there are lots of older homes available.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Ah, so why is it then that those who have one-fourth the income cannot find one-fourth as big or one-fourth the price?
There are plenty of homes that fit that description in many fine areas across the US.

But you'll still have to qualify for a loan.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 AM

18,550 posts, read 15,624,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There are plenty of homes that fit that description in many fine areas across the US.

But you'll still have to qualify for a loan.
If he'd just give up the storage unit, in 10 years he'd have around $25,000 saved. In some places you can buy a studio condo outright. Screw qualifying for a mortgage!

Old 02-18-2016, 08:51 AM

17,403 posts, read 12,001,144 times
Quote:
Lemme guess, you believe apartments should be exempt from the protections of Prop 13 and that apartments should be taxed at a higher rate than owner-occupied SFR? And people who don't own homes should not be protected from being taxed out of their homes?

Perhaps rent controls in California represented a backlash directed at attitudes like yours?
I do believe that, because apartments are a business. It's not renters who would not be protected, it would be the business owner/landlord. And despite your constant assertions that rents are tied to property tax, the market will STILL determine rents.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:54 AM

17,403 posts, read 12,001,144 times
Quote:
??? I had financing up to $50K from my employer. The house payment would have been less than the rent I was paying at the time. The house payment would have been HALF of today's rent. I had the foresight to look ahead and tried to plan accordingly.

I believe people are entitled only to what they can afford to buy from a willing seller. No more, no less. You seem to prefer less.
No, you want to force me to have less, by dividing up existing neighborhoods into dense housing that creates an environment that I don't want to live in.

So, you had financing. You can barely pay rent now. How would you have dealt with repairs and improvements? And you are, as usual, conveniently ignoring the cost of dividing the property. Who would have paid for that? It's not free, you know.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Land is much more scarce now in the economically developed areas. If you're building, you construct a house appropriate to the cost of the dirt it sits on. If an 80x80 lot in Palo Alto is worth $1 million, you're not going to build a tiny house on it.

With income and wealth stratification, home ownership for the masses kind of has to be high density housing. Condos. Single family homes on their own lot sit on land that makes them unaffordable. From an urban planning point of view, this is a good thing because it makes public transportation viable. It's tough to have public transportation in suburban sprawl. As this wealth and income stratification problem increases, automobiles are going to be out of reach of a lot of people. This is how Europe and Asia do it.
I understand the shortage of land in big metro areas but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

And there are plenty of "economically developed" areas outside of massive metro areas.

Most of the US is FAR from being anywhere nearly as congested as Europe or Asia. My point is that there are viable options - smaller cities and towns - with a substantially lower cost of living.

I get it that the very idea of living in a smaller city or town is anathema to some people, and that's OK. But it's their choice. I could CHOOSE to live in a big metro area, but I don't choose to do so mainly because of the cost of living. To each his own, but these are usually choices we make - they're not forced on us.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:03 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,732,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I understand the shortage of land in big metro areas but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

And there are plenty of "economically developed" areas outside of massive metro areas.

Most of the US is FAR from being anywhere nearly as congested as Europe or Asia. My point is that there are viable options - smaller cities and towns - with a substantially lower cost of living.

I get it that the very idea of living in a smaller city or town is anathema to some people, and that's OK. But it's their choice. I could CHOOSE to live in a big metro area, but I don't choose to do so mainly because of the cost of living. To each his own, but these are usually choices we make - they're not forced on us.
Because Modesto is such a nice place to live.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:22 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,754,394 times
The first home I bought was 592 square feet

The second home I bought was 768 square feet

Both are located in the SF Bay Area and both were on a city lot... the 768 square foot home even had a one car garage.

Plenty more like them around... it was very common in the 1920's

Old 02-18-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Because Modesto is such a nice place to live.
Because our choices are either Modesto or San Francisco. Obviously there are no other choices in the entire United States of America. Everyone else apparently lives in another dimension and San Franciscans can only get there by finding the magic circle, turning around three times, and reciting the spell of the Gitchee Goomee backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics