Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 12:55 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,673,383 times

Advertisements

Will American shoppers soon be saying, "I can't believe I can't afford butter?" Butter prices hit a record high on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange this week, and with the levels of the stuff in storage down 42% over this time last year, "Americans are about to be reminded that butter is a luxury," according to Quartz. Butter's price has surged 62% this year, notes Bloomberg, and demand keeps going up: US consumption of the commodity has reached its highest level in 40 years as consumers turn toward natural foods instead of processed ones like margarine.

Americans are about to be reminded that butter is a luxury – Quartz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 02:31 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,755,887 times
Not so much butter prices, but bacon prices rather.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:34 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,597,249 times
A pound of butter costs about $2.50, up from $1.99 here. I noticed the increase when I went shopping last week. One pound lasts me about a month give or take a week, depending on what I've been cooking. My income is not what most people would consider very large. I think if I can afford some butter so can most other people. It just means buying one less latte at Starbucks.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:46 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,929,073 times
I've noticed that butter has gone up. It was probably $2.50/lb and now it seems to be $3 or $3.29.

My husband's butter consumption has also increased, maybe that's why I'm noticing the price increase more than I otherwise would have. I never should have taught him that there was a difference between butter and margarine.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,352,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
A pound of butter costs about $2.50, up from $1.99 here. I noticed the increase when I went shopping last week. One pound lasts me about a month give or take a week, depending on what I've been cooking. My income is not what most people would consider very large. I think if I can afford some butter so can most other people. It just means buying one less latte at Starbucks.
I run out of butter pretty quickly in the summer. Corn on the cob, you know....

Old 09-07-2014, 03:30 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,622,948 times
It won't change my habits. I've never been a margarine user. Either butter, olive oil, or some other good oil. But I don't use a great deal of butter -- maybe 1 stick every 3-4 weeks. Closer to 3 weeks right now because of the good corn, but still, it's not enough of a price difference to make a difference to me.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:57 PM

50,433 posts, read 64,212,276 times
Well, at my Publix, and other stores here, butter goes on sale every so often, so I buy a bunch. My evil twin wants to try the expensive butters that are available, but I can't. I wonder if there is much difference? We do use Smart Balance for some things, but I still use a lot of butter, when quality matters. I think natural is better.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:51 AM

37,718 posts, read 46,158,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well, at my Publix, and other stores here, butter goes on sale every so often, so I buy a bunch. My evil twin wants to try the expensive butters that are available, but I can't. I wonder if there is much difference? We do use Smart Balance for some things, but I still use a lot of butter, when quality matters. I think natural is better.
There is a difference, I assure you. I did my own taste test once. Bought several kinds, and tried them. I'll never buy the store brand again...except for Whole Foods 365, and Trader Joe brands - both are quite good. Plugra is my absolute favorite, and Lurpak is very good too, but just too pricey. Land of Lakes - not so much - it's bland. But I sometimes do buy it as it goes on sale much more often than other brands.

And it depends on what I am making, of course. If I am making pralines, I only use Plugra.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:57 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,409,207 times
We bake all the time around here, so a pound goes pretty fast. Maybe a little over a week. Looks like I'll be making some applesauce (applesauce can be used as a partial replacement for fats in baked goods), using all those surplus apples we've got on the neighborhood trees. Or cut down on the baked goods, which is probably a healthier option.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:02 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,354,759 times
We usually have about 20 pounds of butter in the house most of the time and when we travel to Tennessee and I am able to go to the Amish area we come home with a minimum of 50 pounds of Amish made butter.
NO margarine will ever cross the threshold of our home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink