Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:48 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,819,374 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone here thinks it's a bad idea to feed dogs just cooked meat. I don't do it often but occaisionally I have so much leftover that I give it to the dogs instead of dog food. It never bothers their stomachs. I never learned how to cook for less than 20 people (I'm trying to cut down, but it's a hard habit to bread) so when I cook large batches of chicken or turkey or roasts...I often have it left. I am also one of those people who tosses anything that is not used in 3 days because I don't want to poison anyone...so on the third day I feed it to the dogs. It usually works out to cost less then the dog food, so is this ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 01:56 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,781,086 times
I think you can feed just cooked, just no cooked bones of any kind... since you are cooking it and not feeding raw you may have to add supplements, and you will have to make sure they get some raw bones, for calcium, and some organ meats.
MBG

Old 06-15-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
I think you can feed just cooked, just no cooked bones of any kind... since you are cooking it and not feeding raw you may have to add supplements, and you will have to make sure they get some raw bones, for calcium, and some organ meats.
MBG
This isn't for all the time...I only do it when I over cook for the people in the house...unfortunately I do that a lot. But you think it's ok to do once in a while? I can't feed my old girl lab bones...she has a narrowed esophogus, and she doesn't get the meat either she needs low protein...so this is for the other 7...and they seem to really like meat night, they actually look dissapointed the next time they get fed the dog food they normally love.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,040,524 times
Well, we feed Canidae, but supplement: Elwood gets a banana every afternoon.
I also feed him the *occasional* leftover cooked salmon, boneless chicken or turkey, and/or shrimp (seafood is pretty cheap here).
So far, so good. (Elwood is not fat at all.)
Elwood's breeder feeds raw, and I should ask her about bones...in my experience with mastiffs, they would ingest the entire raw bone and then get diahrrea, which obviously was not a delightful experience.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:28 AM

375 posts, read 1,726,540 times
Yes, you can feed them home cooked meals, but they should have more then just meat to make it balanced.

I would add in some veggies (peas, carrots, potatoes).
Rice or Oat Meal
supplements.

If they have an upset tummy you can give them canned pumpkin & or plain yogurt.

BTW, my parents had a Chi for 17 years, she never ate kibble. She ate whatever they ate.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:32 AM

375 posts, read 1,726,540 times
Diahrrea after changing to raw, cooked food or a really good kibble is called Detoxing. It's perfectly normal until they adjust and get rid of all of the toxins in their system. It may take a few months.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:56 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,781,086 times
Irish, if it is occasionally, it should not be an issue. CADRMNDANES, why would you feed a dog veggies especially potatoes? Just curious, as dogs are carnivores, and have no use for veggies especially filler starches
MBG

Old 06-15-2007, 08:24 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,617 times
Any time you give a dog a food they're not used to in large volumes, you risk the chance of giving them pancreatitis! I wouldn't recommend it....

Old 06-15-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
Any time you give a dog a food they're not used to in large volumes, you risk the chance of giving them pancreatitis! I wouldn't recommend it....
Really? OMG! I've never heard of that.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:23 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,277,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Really? OMG! I've never heard of that.
Pancreatitus can be caused by feeding your dog pork. My main worries would be the spices you use as you're basically giving them leftovers.

There's a great link Foods You Should Not Feed Your Dog to read about human foods that you should avoid feeding to dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs