Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:18 PM

31 posts, read 180,277 times

Advertisements

Feeding "just meat" in imbalanced whether it is cooked or not; that's aside from the fact that you deprive a carnivore of nutrition once you cook its food. Your dog should be getting 75% meat 15% organs (heart, liver, kidney, lung, green tripe, spleen), and about 10-15% bone. ALL RAW. Raw is the best thing you can do for your carnivorous pet; specifically Prey Model as opposed to BARF:
The Many Myths of Raw Feeding
United States Raw Meaty Bones
Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats
Preventative Dentistry
http://k9joy.com/dogarticles/dogfood01cooking.pdf
Grass-Fed Pet Food
http://www.mercola.com/2005/feb/5/pets_grains.htm (broken link)
B-Naturals
Molecular evolution of the dog family
http://k9joy.com/dogarticles/dogfood01stomach.pdf

Lahoma
Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 01:22 PM

Default oh really...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
Any time you give a dog a food they're not used to in large volumes, you risk the chance of giving them pancreatitis! I wouldn't recommend it....

Then why is it that people switch dogs to raw cold turkey and never have this problem?

Old 06-26-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Actually, it's cats who are carnivores, but dogs are omnivores... most canned dog food (like the Pro-Plan I feed my dog) has vegetables too, usually potatoes, peas & carrots. Some even have fruit, like the Merrick brand I get occasionally, which has apples. However, last night I threw him a piece of a green apple I was eating, and he spit it out - then looked at me like "You tryin' to poison me or something?" Guess that was a bit sour for his picky tastebuds. Anyway, yes they do & should eat a variety of foods besides meat (though meat should be the primary part of their diet).
Actually, dogs are carnivores, and cats are obligate carnivores.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:11 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,439,136 times
Wink A long time ago...

When I went to trade school, we had a whole year studying cows, horses and all other animals, concentrating on the statue, structure and bones of the animals, as well as the teeth.
Just by looking at the teeth alone, it will tell you exactly WHAT an animal is eating, and "designed" to eat.
Dogs have no teeth, to chew and "grind" veggies, fruit or plant material....but teeth to tear meat apart, swallowed in chunks, and whole, and chew/ crack /chip bones.
Makes sense to me, what they are "designed" to eat......

Old 02-14-2018, 10:44 PM

13 posts, read 7,569 times
Leftover meat is ok even on a regular basis as long as you are supplementing the diet with fruits and veggies if you are giving them commercial dog food on a regular basis and they have meat night once or twice a week it is no big deal just keep in mind that the more cooked meat you feed the more dry the bowel amd they could get constipated if you feed cooked meat only for an extended period of time this can also happen if all you feed is dry commercial dog food that is why pet nutritionist tell you to mix the dry and wet foods not necessarily together mind you but a full day of wet food once a week would keep the bowel moving, now if you make their food like I do it is sufficiently moist to prevent constipation in fact you will find a fresh diet makes them defecate more regularly, like before Max was pooping once a day around 1300 or so I mean you could almost set a clock by him now he goes in the am around 0530 and int eh afternoon around 1600 or 1630 depending on when the lazy ass daddy gets up and feeds him breakfast which sometimes turns into brunch if we stayed up watching movies the night before but when you are middle-aged and disabled you kinda make your schedule and do what you want when you want so a couple times a week we binge movies all night which usually gets me yelled at by the dog because we didn't go sleep in the nice warm soft comfortable bed in which he likes to snuggle right up against me which is soooo my fault when he was just 6 weeks old we slept on the couch most of the time and I snuggled him in crook of my arm to protect him from his brothers until they were all given away they had to sleep in the play pen alone and their mother slept with her mommy and daddy and it stayed that way till he was 6 months old and Ioved us back here to my cabin and a bed so now he thinks that I belong to him and he is in charge. He also loves to ride and has his own seat in the truck, in fact anytime we have gone anywhere with someone else and they have tried to ride in the passenger seat he refuses to move he growled at my brother till he sat in the back seat it was hilarious.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:54 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,599,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDMDru75 View Post
Leftover meat is ok even on a regular basis as long as you are supplementing the diet with fruits and veggies if you are giving them commercial dog food on a regular basis and they have meat night once or twice a week it is no big deal just keep in mind that the more cooked meat you feed the more dry the bowel amd they could get constipated if you feed cooked meat only for an extended period of time this can also happen if all you feed is dry commercial dog food that is why pet nutritionist tell you to mix the dry and wet foods not necessarily together mind you but a full day of wet food once a week would keep the bowel moving, now if you make their food like I do it is sufficiently moist to prevent constipation in fact you will find a fresh diet makes them defecate more regularly, like before Max was pooping once a day around 1300 or so I mean you could almost set a clock by him now he goes in the am around 0530 and int eh afternoon around 1600 or 1630 depending on when the lazy ass daddy gets up and feeds him breakfast which sometimes turns into brunch if we stayed up watching movies the night before but when you are middle-aged and disabled you kinda make your schedule and do what you want when you want so a couple times a week we binge movies all night which usually gets me yelled at by the dog because we didn't go sleep in the nice warm soft comfortable bed in which he likes to snuggle right up against me which is soooo my fault when he was just 6 weeks old we slept on the couch most of the time and I snuggled him in crook of my arm to protect him from his brothers until they were all given away they had to sleep in the play pen alone and their mother slept with her mommy and daddy and it stayed that way till he was 6 months old and Ioved us back here to my cabin and a bed so now he thinks that I belong to him and he is in charge. He also loves to ride and has his own seat in the truck, in fact anytime we have gone anywhere with someone else and they have tried to ride in the passenger seat he refuses to move he growled at my brother till he sat in the back seat it was hilarious.
Punctuation is your friend.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
When I went to trade school, we had a whole year studying cows, horses and all other animals, concentrating on the statue, structure and bones of the animals, as well as the teeth.
Just by looking at the teeth alone, it will tell you exactly WHAT an animal is eating, and "designed" to eat.
Dogs have no teeth, to chew and "grind" veggies, fruit or plant material....but teeth to tear meat apart, swallowed in chunks, and whole, and chew/ crack /chip bones.
Makes sense to me, what they are "designed" to eat......
Actually that is not entirely correct the teeth test really only applies to non-domesticates like farm or wilds. Domesticted dogs and cats both have devolped incised molars on the top and bottom in the back to grind with, just like a domesticated pig will develop what they call rip teeth like the front teeth of cats and dogs over time. Pack dogs like the packs of chihuahuas in Mexico actually will lose their molars they developed as a domesticate after they have lived in the pack for a couple of years. However these teeth are jot really sufficient for large pieces that is why the vets recommend you dice and par cook them so that they are smaller size and softer texture.

The person who gave the green apple to their dog and he spit it out did it have the skin still on it? If so that may be why he spit it out the skin is hard for them to process and will taste bitter to them it has an enzyme in it that make sit bitter for them cherries are the same way however I have been told that peach and plum skin is beneficial to their coats but make sure they never get a hold of the pit as it is poisonous and don't give your dog almonds either.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Punctuation is your friend.
Feel free to edit me my enlarged keyboard because I am jow legalky blind has no punctuation marks and that is also why you will cath spelling errors in my texts the macular cancer makes things blurry so sometimes I hit tue wrong keys I do apologize for mu disability I realize it is an affront to many people. Please forgive me it is like using a huge piece of convex glass to read and type with many apologies.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:54 AM

1,201 posts, read 806,406 times
Yes. Well also bones and organs and some mackerel.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:48 AM

48,563 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Dogs get any leftover meat, and any trimmings of meat before cooking. My dog eats produce (puppy not rescue), a few potato peels, the end of a carrot, broccoli trimmings, and tomatoes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs