Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 10:39 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times

Advertisements

Is it okay to feed dogs/puppies raw ground meat or raw meat/offals in general ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XEssobGjTE&t=9s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 11:12 AM

7,356 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is it okay to feed dogs/puppies raw ground meat or raw meat/offals in general ?
No. I wouldn't eat raw ground meat from the supermarket either. Too many bacteria in our foods.

Who keeps a dog on a concrete floor? No rug, just a crate with a pillow. No water dish in sight. I heard other dogs barking in the background. Guessing it's puppy mill. Looks cruel. My dogs lived and slept with us!

Old 04-04-2023, 11:12 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
I don't do it - mostly for selfish reasons, because it's easier to feed dry formulated dog food than make it ourselves - but there's a lot of people feed and really believe in raw food diet for both dogs and cats.

You need to make sure you include a full vitamin and mineral package and some important supplements. You can't just feed muscle meat and end up with a balanced diet, and the unintended results can be bad. I know of a sweet but naive lady who adopted two kittens from me and evidently fed them chicken breasts and canned tuna and thought she was feeding a higher quality diet than cat food containing organ meat and and offals. The cats went blind from lack of taurine, and there were undoubtedly other things missing in the diet.

We may think formulated pet food contains a lot of trimmings and by products, but some of those things are vital for good nutrition. Predators and scavengers eat the whole animal, not just the "good" parts.

So - it can be OK to make your own raw food, as long as you know what you're doing. There's a lot of good information on the internet..... read several different sources.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:35 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
If the raw meat doesn’t have any toxic bacteria growing in it yet, then sure, go ahead.

Old 04-11-2023, 09:03 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
No. I wouldn't eat raw ground meat from the supermarket either. Too many bacteria in our foods.

Who keeps a dog on a concrete floor? No rug, just a crate with a pillow. No water dish in sight. I heard other dogs barking in the background. Guessing it's puppy mill. Looks cruel. My dogs lived and slept with us!
I think you're being unfairly judgmental, based on what little information we have (about the surroundings). It could be a country where most of the buildings are made of concrete? And maybe a rescue too, although I realize that's unlikely for the breed. Or a vet? Either way, I'd caution you against imposing your privileged perspective on others without cause.

As for the food, they're dogs. Not humans. So what you would or wouldn't eat yourself is irrelevant. Many dogs and cats eat raw diets, and supposedly it is better for them... but I don't know enough to say for sure, and would tell OP to ask their vet.

Old 04-12-2023, 02:50 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

9-week-old puppy Will Not be sleeping in my Bed!! All they do in bed at that age is Pee & Poo No Thanks! Also you can Crush them in your sleep!

Old 04-17-2023, 03:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
It's a breeding kennel in the Philippines.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:11 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
My wife has a cousin that is a traveling nurse in the Arctic.
She feeds her dogs raw whole salmon bones and all.
I’ve heard of Alaskans feeding dogs cooked canned salmon where the bones are more or less rendered, this is not that.

I won’t do it.
I’m not against occasionally tossing the dog a raw treat but as a rule of thumb I only serve commercial feeds.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:00 AM

325 posts, read 57,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think you're being unfairly judgmental, based on what little information we have (about the surroundings). It could be a country where most of the buildings are made of concrete? And maybe a rescue too, although I realize that's unlikely for the breed. Or a vet? Either way, I'd caution you against imposing your privileged perspective on others without cause.

As for the food, they're dogs. Not humans. So what you would or wouldn't eat yourself is irrelevant. Many dogs and cats eat raw diets, and supposedly it is better for them... but I don't know enough to say for sure, and would tell OP to ask their vet.
Nasty much? She’s concerned about the puppy. Obviously, you’re more concerned about viciously attacking people that care about puppies than the puppy. I’m glad she has the courage to speak out against perceived animal cruelty. It’s much better than turning a blind eye.

It’s not a rescue, it’s a breeding facility in the Philippines. Many dogs on raw meat diets get sick. Just because they’re dogs doesn’t mean they can eat raw meat safely.

I cook my dog’s food. I also give them fresh, raw veggies after I wash them.

Old 04-20-2023, 08:06 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahann25 View Post

Nasty much? She’s concerned about the puppy. Obviously, you’re more concerned about viciously attacking people that care about puppies than the puppy. I’m glad she has the courage to speak out against perceived animal cruelty. It’s much better than turning a blind eye.
Literally nothing in my post was nasty or vicious... sensitive much?

lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs