Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:14 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times

Advertisements

I've been really hesitant to post about her...like my posting would trigger something to happen...I know...sounds dumb
Anyway.....About a 6 weeks or so ago, she was diagnosed with Vestibular Disease...she'd hold her head to the side and was clumsy in her walking...almost as tho she were drunk. The head straightened up after about 3 weeks..just a very slight tilt.
2 weeks ago....she started limping very badly on her front right leg. It seemed to lessen when she walked on it a bit..so I figured it was the old aches and pains we all feel as we age. This lasted for about 2 days...then all of sudden, she could not rise her self off her back legs. I mean, she had no strength at all. If we raised her...she could walk, but with a limp and we noticed her dragging her right rear leg...more like a shuffle. She could not pee or defecate without help..the strength in the legs was not there. About this time, she also became unbelievably disoriented. Walking into a room and just staring...the light is on, but no one is home! I'd pass her...walk into a room, return 30 secs later and she'd act like she hadn't seen me in days!
The vet is pretty much stumped. He can rule out a lot...She has no temp., She doesn't really appear to be in pain...other than the limping. no swelling of the lymph nodes, no neck pain whatsoever. He did a full blood work up on her and the only thing that came back very abnormal was her Thyroid counts. They are extremely low...but she has absolutely no symptoms other than the blood work counts!
He really feels like she has fibrocartilagenous emboli...which in layman terms is sort of a stroke of the spinalcord. He started her on soloxine for the Thyroid and put her on Rimadyl. He feels like the limping is definately in the elbow. The Rimadyl helped initially...the first day, she didn't limp at all and had trouble raising herself, but at least could raise herself. In the last few days, she is back to limping, but can still get up...but again, has trouble. She has also developed a slight hacking cough and her eyes are PITCH black, where as they were never before. I thought they may be dialated, but I don't think either of the meds. she is on, should cause that. He wanted her on the Rimadyl for 10 days with sort of a lets wait and see attitude.
I have to say, when I brought her in last week, I really thought I was going to have to put her down. I am a firm believer of quality of life and I just couldn't see her living out her days unable to raise herself or walk. This is a dog, who up until 3 months ago, was jumping into our pool and chasing down a tennis ball with the energy of a 5 yr old!
She and her son, Dylan, must go into be boarded tomorrow...it's at the vets, so I know she will be in good hands...I hate to do it, but we have to go out of town for a few days on business. It is unavoidable.
I have a call into the vet now...to discuss the cough and the eyes and her inablility to move around. She is lying with her head on my foot as I type...My heart just breaks every time I see her try to raise herself up...getting old sucks! Please...keep us in your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 08:21 AM

128 posts, read 470,725 times
I'm so sorry, it is so hard when their health starts to go...and you doubt yourself when it comes to making that awful, final decision. I wish you all peace.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:23 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Oh Shelbygirl, I am so sorry for you and your furbaby! She's had a long life for a big dog and I know you've given her the best of everything. May you and the vet make the best decision for her.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:33 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
My heart is breaking for you. I wish the best for you and your girl... I will keep you both in my (good) thoughts.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:36 AM

378 posts, read 1,652,501 times
I am so sorry ShelbyGirl1. You and your furbaby will be in my prayers.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:58 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,454 times
I'm so sorry Shelbygirl . You must be heartsick at the thought of leaving her. You and Mia will be in my thoughts.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:13 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
I hope your doggie will be ok. My 17 year old cat had this same problem. It looked to me like my cat had had a mild stroke. I would mention this to the vet. Keep an eye on her.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,872 times
We'll keep your baby in our thoughts. ((((ShelbyGirl and Mia))))

Old 02-06-2009, 11:43 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
How upsetting. It's so hard when they get old, so hard.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:31 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,340 times
It does sound like a stroke, but you may investigate the possibility of Mad-Cow disease. It's never been confirmed to affect dogs, but other animals are succeptable. A diseased prion (protein) is the cause, and the incubation period takes several years. It cannot be detected in a living animal, but the drug Activiat is getting some attention. Please let us know when you find the problem and treatment. Best of luck! http://www.michvma.org/documents/MVC%20Proceedings/Landsberg5.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs