Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:58 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,497,813 times

Advertisements

Any time a dog starts limping on its front leg, I think of lyme disease.

Lyme tests are never conclusive. The best way to see if it is lyme is to put a dog on antibiotics and see how it responds. If it's lyme, the symptoms disappear pretty quick, like in 24-48 hours.

Can you put her on antibiotics? It does no harm and might be worth a try....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:20 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,537,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Any time a dog starts limping on its front leg, I think of lyme disease.

Lyme tests are never conclusive. The best way to see if it is lyme is to put a dog on antibiotics and see how it responds. If it's lyme, the symptoms disappear pretty quick, like in 24-48 hours.

Can you put her on antibiotics? It does no harm and might be worth a try....
This was actually, my very first thought. We do have ticks around here, but I rarely find any on them.
She has no fever and no swollen lymph glands. The vet and I did discuss the possiblility, but he feels it is very remote. It were just the front leg, I would be more inclined....but she drags her back leg as well.
I'm still waiting for a call back...I know Fri. are his surgery days, so it may be very late, if at all, that I hear from him today. If not, I will bring it up again when we bring her tomorrow.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:15 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,497,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
This was actually, my very first thought. We do have ticks around here, but I rarely find any on them.
She has no fever and no swollen lymph glands. The vet and I did discuss the possiblility, but he feels it is very remote. It were just the front leg, I would be more inclined....but she drags her back leg as well.
I'm still waiting for a call back...I know Fri. are his surgery days, so it may be very late, if at all, that I hear from him today. If not, I will bring it up again when we bring her tomorrow.
Lyme presents in a lot of ways. You do not always get fever and swollen nodes, yet it can cripple a dog in a short period of time. You would be really surprised how often it is misdiagnosed, especially in areas where it is not as common as say, Connecticut or other areas on the east coast. But it is becoming more common throughout the country.

The only sure way to know if a dog has lyme is to give them the antibiotics and see how they respond. So you can always say, "Let's just try the antibiotics and see what happens..."

Old 02-07-2009, 02:18 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,996,903 times
I'm sorry , all I could find was a link for you, I assume the vets are positive that this is not steming from a bad ear infection, did you get a 2nd opinion.

V- Vestibular Syndrome

Old 02-07-2009, 03:42 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,634,774 times
Shelbygirl, So sorry to hear about Mia's problems.It is so difficult to see our dogs get old and start having medical issues. Why do things like this always seem to happen when we have to go away for a few days or even t o work or in my case when my regular vet is on vacation?

I will send some positve thoughts and prayers your way for Mia. Jan

Old 02-07-2009, 04:18 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,611,733 times
Positive, healing thoughts being sent your way...

Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,537,698 times
Dropped off Mia and Dylan to be boarded at the vets yesterday. I am always able to lead them into their "room" and there, in Mia's enclosure was a very nice soft comforter just out of the dryer. Mia immeadiately took it over.
Her additonal Thyroid tests came back and just add to the confusion. The 3TH which is the active hormone came back 7.8-normal is 8-40...so it is basically normal...as well as the TSH...only abnormality was the the T4 which was .2. Normal is 1-4....this is her ONLY symptom!
But in saying all of this....this is the very least of her problems. It is the limping and dragging of her back leg...and her all around immobility. Her eyes are also very very black and she has developed a slight hack of a cough. More like a chuff or clearing of the throat. The vet was going to check all of these things out after hrs yesterday.
We leave this morning on business...so I will know more on Wed. when we get back..

Old 02-08-2009, 09:08 AM

549 posts, read 2,211,326 times
Prayers and well wishes headed your way for your baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs