Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 07:00 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,267,399 times

Advertisements

Any advice? We're looking into possible adopting a 6 month old. I know using hand signals with verbal commands is a good idea, but what works for you. Im looking for suggestions for basic commands, and potty training also..how long does it take to train a dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 07:46 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,714,059 times
"Go potty" is a verbal cue that we used with two of our dogs and it works well. Except that I also used a small kibble treat as a reward when he did go, so he came to associate "go potty" with the reward and expected it first! LOL So, emphasized the "good boy" part when giving the treat afterward.

For a golden it should take very little time to train - they're super smart and willing to please. See if you can find a basic training class in your area - call some of the vets - ours, for example, has regular Canine Good Citizen classes. Those cover good basics.
The classes really teach YOU how to train your dog so that you are consistent and don't subconsciously do things that confuse your dog.

Have fun!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:02 AM

5,096 posts, read 12,602,166 times
Goldens are smart and should learn fast.The ones are I know are excellemt obedience dogs. Do remember that dog training is a life long affair and not just a 6 week course. Even at 11 and 12 I still put the dogs through training exercises examples are sitting and waiting to be fed, doing a trick if I throw a ball for them, my favorite being dropping them on a down when they are half way to the ball and making them wait until released to continue, on walks we will walk along and out of the blue I will ask for something like a sit or down and do this a dozen times or so as we walk. I see any time we interact as a training session even though it can also be play. With smart dogs ( mine are herding breds) this mental stimulation wears them out pretty good. If I have a day when walks or play time can not be as long as usual I increase the amout of commands I throw at them and they come home tired.

I got Jazz ( border collie cattle dog mix or that is what we think!) when she was 12 weeks and by the end of that first week she was pretty much potty trained to use the pet door and she knew Sit and down and was working on heeling. She was like a little sponge when it came to training!To house train both when they would pee or poop outside I gave them great treats and made a big deal by acting exticed ( after they were done) about it and after they seemed to get it I added the words....Jazz is so funny that if I take her out and tell her to pee and she doesn't have to go she will still squat and squueze out a drop if she can ( and no they no longer get treats for it as I phased that out years ago) . My older dog also helped house train Jazz as when she had an accident in doors she ended up doing what I can only call scolding her with woos and other noises not physical stuff then lead the puppy out the pet door and after that Jazz never had another accident inside.

My neighbors have a terrier puppy and they would be out there for 30-45 minutes waiting for her to go potty so I told them about using the treats and acting excited when she did go and within days they were able to take her out and within minutes she will potty...made their life alot easier!

I will say Goldens can be big chewers as my sisters chewed a huge chunk out of the wooden deck when she was outside, when my partents watched a neighbors young golden (at my parents house) he chewed up the hose and and quite a few other things, My friend that raise many guide dogs found the goldens were bigger chewers too thou the labs were bad too so she quickly found ways to devert the chewing to the correct things.

During the rough times just remember what great pets they make.A friend has two old Goldens 13 and 15! Any time you sit down they come over and squeeze their old white faces under your arm so you will pet them and you can't help but lavish love on the old girls!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:29 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,557,753 times
At 6 months, depending on how much work the prior owners put into it, he/she may alreay be trained. Our golden took 6 months to be totally accident free and those last few accidents were more our fault. As to training, goldens learn quickly but can also be free spirited. In truth, it takes a lifetime to train a dog, but learning basic commands can be done in weeks.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:33 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,282,507 times
try whistle training.
We are working on that currently and in a week we have accomplished much.
Do you know doggies background?
positive training is good for creating confidence and a bond between you and pup!

yay for you and doggie!!

Old 05-24-2008, 09:19 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,915,351 times
I second Southward Bound; training classes are your best option. You and the dog will benefit from the experience, and it will give you both a good foundation from which to build a positive life-long bond. The time it will take is dependent upon you and the dog. The dog may learn in class but it is up to you to be consistent in using what you learn each and every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs