Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:01 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times

Advertisements

We have family coming in for Christmas and there are going to be a few young, less than 5 years old there. Anytime some one new comes in the house she goes nuts and jumps on them. We tried to take her to obedience school but I dont think they were very good and she still jumped. She doesn't jump on myself or my wife because we are around but anyone new. I have read ignore them but it is hard to ignore a 55 lbs dog jumping on you. In the past we put a leash on her and tried to introduce her while still controling her but she was just as bad. Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 07:13 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Retrace yourself back to the steps you were taught at obedience school and work on those daily. If you can have a (willing) friend stop by to help you on this, all the better. As the dog goes to jump, command a firm loud (not yelling), NO! and pull her off. Give her the command to sit and allow her to sniff the person's hand and then you give her a treat/favorite toy as a positive re-enforcement for the good behavior.

Also, a nice Steelers game can be soothing

Christmas is close, good luck!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,219 times
May have to lock up in a seperate room until house calms down.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:26 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Packer - I feel your pain. Ours is the same way - we have worked on it but it hasn't gotten appreciably better... Sometimes what works is having a rolled up magazine (although I have not and would not ever use it) and just saying "ah ah" - she gets the point and is fine once she settles down...but it drives me insane.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:42 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,321 times
I would put her in a crate until the commotion of the new arrival settles, but do it before they start arriving so she doesn't feel banished. Then you can let her out on leash but keep her near you on a down or sit. If she does try to jump, a firm correction with the leash on the collar and tell her to sit and praise her. Do not put her back in the crate if she jumps or she will associate the crate with punishment, this you don't want, a crate is her place of security away from what bothers her.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:43 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
Cleosmom, we tried having her sit and sniffing but she just doesn't listen to us. I have to tackle her and hold her down to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
May have to lock up in a seperate room until house calms down.
Sadly that's what we do now when we have anyone over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Packer - I feel your pain. Ours is the same way - we have worked on it but it hasn't gotten appreciably better... Sometimes what works is having a rolled up magazine (although I have not and would not ever use it) and just saying "ah ah" - she gets the point and is fine once she settles down...but it drives me insane.

It's so frustrating, my sister was over and said it will be fine and she wanted to pet her so she opened the door to the deck. Sure enough our golden comes full tilt at her and almost knocks her down. I dont think anyone realizes how bad it is til she is up on them.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:49 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
In my family, the technique we've used for years is when a medium or large dog jumps up, quickly lift your knee and bump them in their chest with it and say "no". That always worked for us.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:02 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,193 times
I have a few suggestions. One, keep a 6 ft. leash on her, but let her drag it, when she starts to jump, the closest person can step on it and make her feet stay on the floor. Second, and most important. When she is jumping, NOBODY touch her! Even pushing her down or even worse, laughing, petting, talking to her or whatever (which I know alot of people do. Usually kids or guests that say things like, "it's ok, I don't mind" will give in and pet the dog. Gently insist that they do not touch her or give her ANY attention at all until she is better behaved). I have 2 goldens and they still get very excited when someone comes over, and I am ok with them being excited and getting the wiggles, but feet must be on the floor. I don't expect them to sit, but they cannot jump. If they do, everyone completely ignores them and TURNS THEIR BACKS TO THEM! If the dog goes around to face the person again (and they will) just turn around again. It will take a couple of times, but they will get it.

I know that it's hard to correct your guests behavior, but it needs to be done and everybody needs to be consistent. One person not complying will set you right back to where you started. I would try to warn guests before they come in that you are working on training and it would really help you out if they could please not acknowledge the dog until she is behaving as you want her to (whether that be sitting, feet on the floor, whatever). This is something that everybody needs to do EVERY time they come in the house and she jumps.

I know how frustrating the jumping dog thing is, and I always feel embarrassed when my dogs jump, it was really hard to get my husband to comply because he likes when they get all crazy and excited, but he's getting better...training him takes time too

Good luck

Old 12-15-2008, 08:02 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
I would leash her. As when your sister wanted to visit with her....she could have been controlled with the leash.
It is not the obeidence school that is "not any good". One has to enforce what YOU were taught at the school. She has found she is allowed to jump without being reprimanded. A good bump in the chest as suggested and good firm NO each and every time she jumps would help.
While you have guests, leash her and contain/control her...reward her when she minds. How old is she?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
LOL...turtle and I posted at the same time....good advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs