Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 03:08 PM

52 posts, read 229,930 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 year old golden retriever. She is a great dog but I think she needs a companion. We stayed with my mom for 2 months this summer and she played with my moms two dogs. Once we returned home, she found one of my kids stuffed animals and has been carrying it around my house for over a month. This is odd since she usually destroys stuffed animals. It made me think she is lonely. Someone is usually home with her during the day but I think she wants an animal companion. We do have another dog but she is old (13 years) and will not play with our golden. I am open to getting another dog especially if that will make her happy. So my question is does my pet need a pet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 04:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Yes, I think so. I have always found that 2 of the same species, about the same age, do very well together. They burn off each other's energy and are company for when I'm not home. Now, as to how I got to 3 dogs and 3 cats, well, that's another story!

Old 11-04-2008, 05:14 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,216 times
Three years ago we were thinking the same..Should or should we not bring in a second cocker, ours 5 and somewhat board but content..We talked to Cocker rescue and a in Feb of 2006 received a call that the right little boy was in need of the home we could give him...We brought our older dog with us and they hit it off he also bonded with my husband and the rest is history..His and hers cockers, a little dog who had received no love and now is almost king of the hill ..the older one is king, they get along , put each other up to monkey business and just bring a lot of laughter to our home..
so it can work successfully..
lots of luck finding the right new playmate..

Old 11-04-2008, 05:30 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,340 times
I had a Golden who was Alpha to the point of fighting other dogs all the time. I took in a rescue Golden that was very old, and they got along great. I think the older one was submissive, but they never growled or fought. Goldens are destructive, as I'm sure you know, and they live an incredibly long time. They need lots of property to run on.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:22 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I had a Golden who was Alpha to the point of fighting other dogs all the time. I took in a rescue Golden that was very old, and they got along great. I think the older one was submissive, but they never growled or fought. Goldens are destructive, as I'm sure you know, and they live an incredibly long time. They need lots of property to run on.

Destructive? Please do not make a general statement like that! All Goldens are NOT destructive and do not need LOTS of property to run on. And they live no longer than the average dog of that size.
Goldens are family dogs...and while yes, they love either feline or canine companionship, they also thrive on the human family. I have always had multiple Goldens....and have had 5 generations...but, I think each and every one of them would have been just as happy as being the center of the family attention. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:00 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Max is a golden mix...destructive is not a word I will ever use with him. He is mellow, laid back and just an overall mild mannered dog at 2 years old. Destructive was our yellow lab...ate up all the baseboards in the kitchen, tore up our yard and lawn, stubborn and difficult to train, but never snapped or had a mean bone about him.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
I would never have just one dog, nor have I ever. Two dogs is perfect. They keep each other company. It is so good for them to have a companion. I would say yes to you! I hope you go to your local shelter and adopt an older dog and ave a life! Wishing you and your dogie good luck in finding a friend!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:49 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,872 times
I never realized how lonely our first dog was until we rescued and "attempted" to foster our second dog. They truly love each other and are the best of buddies! We also have two cats. I second the post that believes each species does the best when there are two of them.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:13 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Goldens are destructive, as I'm sure you know, and they live an incredibly long time. They need lots of property to run on.
I think any dog can be destructive if they aren't interactive w/ people or other dogs. The only destructive dog is a lonely dog.

When I got my Lab pup, my two older rescues couldn't keep up w/ him. We added a Newfie pup when the Lab was 8 mths. They grew together and played well together. Today my Lab will be 1 yr and the Newfie 5 mths and they are best of friends. We spend alot of time w/ them (I'm home all day), so they are very people/family oriented too. I'm so glad they have eachother.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:16 PM

18,118 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Yes, I think two Goldens together keep each other company, they play together
and tend to be happy with having a playmate. I do not believe Goldens are
destructive. In fact they have the "soft mouth" ... can carry an egg without breaking.

Here's my two; Sandy and Buddy (as in her friend "Buddy")

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs