Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 03:08 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times

Advertisements

Hello. Help. Family member in California struggling with flea infestation in two rooms with rugs. Need a healthy way to solve the problem fast.

Thank you!

Woofers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 04:04 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Check out this thread.. especially the post by Sam I AM.. regarding Borax on the carpet. It does work

Old 09-15-2008, 09:43 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Default Healthy? I dunno!

I don't know if a California flea is anything like a Florida flea but I had this problem last spring. I'm fairly new to this state and wasn't prepared for what we had to endure to get rid of the fleas. I tried numerous times to rid the place on my own with flea bombs bought at the local pet store and using the flea treatment provided by my groomer. It wasn't until I finally consulted my vet that we finally got rid of them. He explained to me the life cycle of a Florida flea. Eeewww. The trick was to bomb the condo every 2 weeks for 8 weeks. What a pain! I also vamped up the type of treatment used on the dog to Advantage from k9-advantix and/or frontline. The vet also has something that is a one time dose called Revolution. It immediatley kills the fleas on the dog. If you've done your home enough times to make sure you've killed every stage of the cycle, it's a good fix.

I'm not a fan of putting borax on the carpet myself. It's way too hard to get rid of it all after the problem is resolved. I must have vacuumed that stuff up for months after.

Just my 2 cents!

Good luck!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:48 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
There was a news show on recently and they showed that one of the best way to get rid of fleas is by frequent vacuuming. The vacuuming picks up the eggs, so you stop the cycle.

I'd invest in a really good vacuum if you don't have a good one right now. I have a Dyson and I am sold on them, they're awesome machines and they really do have great suction .

Old 09-16-2008, 07:47 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times
borax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
did I mention Borax? It keeps all bugs away. I tried a bug company and still have bugs. put borax down and no bugs for 3 - 6 months! We are surrounded by trees and lakes so we get water bugs alot!
We have our lawn treated, borax the parimeter inside and outside once every 3-6 months and have had some success!
Borax wont harm your pets and is safe.
Never have I had a flea in our house!!!!!!!

ohhh and riveree is correct ...vacuum daily until the problem is solved(and empty the vacuum)

Old 09-16-2008, 10:52 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Are you guys talking about the Borax as in 20 Mule Team laundry detergent? I've heard someone mention Boric Acid also.... I'm confused and I confess I have no idea what that is.

Also are you saying dump the white powder on the carpet daily and vacuume it up immediatley after or let it sit for a while?

Riveree- I've always wanted a Dyson anyway, I think I would need one if I chose this route. I have a pretty decent heavy duty one now, but that powder really clogs up the filters.

Kelly3120- I'm already freaked out by the bugs down here! Water bugs? Stop it! Say it ain't so! I'm not near any lakes but directly on the beach, not many trees, just plenty of concrete. Oh, and a lizard or two (million)

Old 09-16-2008, 02:39 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Flea Control With Boric Acid

You can also mix a few drops of essential oil with the borax so it doesn't smell as much - and wear a mask, particularly if you have breathing problems. This should do it, though...secure the pets out of the way while you're treating if you can.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:44 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Are you guys talking about the Borax as in 20 Mule Team laundry detergent? I've heard someone mention Boric Acid also.... I'm confused and I confess I have no idea what that is.

Also are you saying dump the white powder on the carpet daily and vacuume it up immediatley after or let it sit for a while?

Riveree- I've always wanted a Dyson anyway, I think I would need one if I chose this route. I have a pretty decent heavy duty one now, but that powder really clogs up the filters.

Kelly3120- I'm already freaked out by the bugs down here! Water bugs? Stop it! Say it ain't so! I'm not near any lakes but directly on the beach, not many trees, just plenty of concrete. Oh, and a lizard or two (million)
ahahah relax it will be fine!
as long as the bugs are smaller then the dog you can kill them. Its those Godzilla bugs that eat small dogs that scare me

think the borax and boric acid are one and the same. I use the laundry detergent so I can use it for laundry as well.
spread it on your carpets(lightly ..no need to dump the whole box), let it sit and vacuum. It takes a while and bugs will come outta the woodwork and die(it suffocates them) but dead is dead in my book!

best of luck!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:16 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
The dog is not in the house any more, but the flea infestation continues. Will try the boric acid. Thank you!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post

Borax and Boric Acid are 2 different substances.

You can find Borax as you said, in 20 Mule Team. Boric Acid usually comes in a small plastic jar with a squirt top - you'll often find it in the pest control area of your grocery store.

Both are powders/minerals, but they are not the same thing. Borax, for example, can be used as a paste flux for soldering - jewelers will use it for that. I guess people use it for pest control too, I just don't have any experience using it for that.

Boric Acid is the only one I've used for pest control, but I've never sprinkled it in my carpet, I've only used it for perimeter stuff. It can really irritate your throat, so be careful with it (but it won't hurt you).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs