Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:38 PM

3 posts, read 9,002 times

Advertisements

I sent my husband to buy Borax and he came back with Diatenateous Earth. Many people swear by the DE. I don't think it's working. We are using it along with Frontline and we have bombed the house once. The dog stil has flees. I gave her a flea bath today and tonight picked 10 flees off her.

What am I doing wrong?

Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 11:46 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times
I'm rather confused about your post.

Fleas, diametaceous earth/Borax.

What? Yikes!

Are you a new dog owner?
Have you consulted a veterinarian?
Is your dog spayed/neutered?
Has your dog been tested for heartworm?
Has your dog been tested for parvo?

I would guess that the answers to all the above would be negative although I'm reluctant to make assumptions.

Your dog needs to see a vet ASAP and it's going to cost you some money unless you have an animal shelter nearby which can offer some sort of subsidies.

The bottom line is that if you can't afford the necessary care to ensure that your dog remains healthy then you probably shouldn't have a dog or any other animal. It's something you should think about very carefully.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh but I think you're doing the dog a major disservice right now for many reasons. When you take on any animal it's a major commitment and a major ongoing expense and shouldn't be taken lightly.

If you really can't provide this dog with necessary care, please try and find him/her a good home with somebody who can. Cheers!

Old 09-28-2008, 07:20 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,237,337 times
STT.. Fleas can be a real problem in many parts of the country and has nothing to do with if you take your dog to the vet to be checked for heartworms or if it is spayed/neutered.

CutiesMom, sounds like you have a bad flea infestation. IIRC flea eggs hatch every 21 days.. I use frontline but the last time I put it on my dogs it didn't seem to work as well. I switched to Advantage and it killed the fleas. Not sure why Frontline didn't work that one time.

I know you can get Comfortis, the flea pill from the vet and it is suppose to kill the fleas within 20 mins. That might be an option for you as a short term solution.

I haven't seen this but a friend of mind told me about a flea trap. It has a little light and sticky paper. The fleas jump towards the light and get stuck on the paper. She said it got rid of the fleas in her bedroom carpet.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:12 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,491,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiesmom View Post
I sent my husband to buy Borax and he came back with Diatenateous Earth. Many people swear by the DE. I don't think it's working. We are using it along with Frontline and we have bombed the house once. The dog stil has flees. I gave her a flea bath today and tonight picked 10 flees off her.

What am I doing wrong?

Help!!
I agree with Keeper, in my personal experience, Advantage works much better than Frontline, and that seems to be the consensus on this forum as well.

Advantage works pretty quickly and you should see the fleas drop off the dog the same day as application. You can put it between the shoulder blades and a bit of it at the base of the tail (another flea hideout). It might be helpful to bathe the dog first, let the dog dry, then apply the Advantage.

In the meantime, I'd wash all bedding in hot water (including your own bedding) and vacuum every nook and cranny with a serious vacuum - like a Dyson. Frequent vacuuming will help to break up the flea cycle. It's been shown that a vacuum is the most effective way to combat the flea eggs.

Go easy on the boric acid, it can inflame yours and your dog's nasal passages (no long term damage though).

Good luck, just be vigilant and you'll beat the fleas .

Old 09-28-2008, 03:35 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,916,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I agree with Keeper, in my personal experience, Advantage works much better than Frontline, and that seems to be the consensus on this forum as well.

Advantage works pretty quickly and you should see the fleas drop off the dog the same day as application. You can put it between the shoulder blades and a bit of it at the base of the tail (another flea hideout). It might be helpful to bathe the dog first, let the dog dry, then apply the Advantage.

In the meantime, I'd wash all bedding in hot water (including your own bedding) and vacuum every nook and cranny with a serious vacuum - like a Dyson. Frequent vacuuming will help to break up the flea cycle. It's been shown that a vacuum is the most effective way to combat the flea eggs.

Go easy on the boric acid, it can inflame yours and your dog's nasal passages (no long term damage though).

Good luck, just be vigilant and you'll beat the fleas .
Vacuuming thoroughly and often is critical in combating flea infestation. One thing to remember is to completely empty the vacuum cleaner by removing the bag and placing it in the trash OUTSIDE, or sealing the bag in a plastic bag before you place it in your trash bin. If you have a bagless vac, clean it after every use. Otherwise the flea eggs and larvae you vacuumed up will just reinfest your house.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:42 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,283,682 times
theres something new called comfortis that is suppose to work!
My mom has one dog that still has feels on her no matter what they use.
They are gonna try it.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:33 PM

Thank you for the tip.

I will call the vet tomorrow and ask about Comfortis. They just sold me a six month supply of Frontline. My next step is Fleabuster. I was using Advantage before Frontline but it's not water resistant.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:02 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,283,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiesmom View Post
Thank you for the tip.

I will call the vet tomorrow and ask about Comfortis. They just sold me a six month supply of Frontline. My next step is Fleabuster. I was using Advantage before Frontline but it's not water resistant.
let me know what you hear!

Old 09-29-2008, 04:35 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,237,337 times
Ask if they have coupons for $$ off of Comfortis when you called? I got some in the mail from my vet on Sat.

I have heard ppl in the vets office buying it saying it works.. I think it is about $12.00 a pill here.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:17 PM

I called the vet today and have an appt for Thursday. I was just there last Thursday with the dog. She's going to look at her again and try to see why Frontline and Advantage are not working. I spent all weekend tryng to deflea the house.

It's been hard. I have a broken foot and vacuuming hasn't ben easy. That's probably why the problem got out of hand. I did manage to vacuum everyday last week and have been keeping the dog off the carpets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs