Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:30 PM

631 posts, read 1,291,112 times

Advertisements

So I have a 6 year old dog, and a 2y/o cat, and we think from walking the dog outside (live in a city) he must have picked up fleas from another dog or some tall grass. Anyway, they've had fleas for about 2 months and we can't seem to get rid of them. We've tried giving them medicine (frontline for the dog and sergeant silver for the cat), and bathing them, but they keep coming back. We've also used flea powder on everything we owned, right before moving into a new apt, and they managed to move in with us.

We have more medicine coming in the mail. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 12:37 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,979 times
I like Comfortis for my dog and topical for my cat (back of the neck). These won't cure the infestation but will stop them from laying eggs and feeding on the pets. This alone should reduce the population and improve the quality of life for your pets.

After that it is on to bedding, blankets and carpet. Usually a bombing every month for a few months will do it. Right after each bombing wash the bedding/blankets and vacuum the carpet.

I had a horrible infestation when I moved into a new apartment (the old owner was apparently a cat lady and poor owner). A few months after I moved in *boom* all the dormant eggs in the carpet hatched and it was a nightmare. Got them all cleared out in three months though. Really in two but I did one more round just to be sure.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:43 PM

631 posts, read 1,291,112 times
Thanks, I think we'll try bombing, giving medicine, bathing, and washing fabrics all at the same time. and maybe follow it up with bathing weekly for a while and a bombing every month. think that will get rid of them? Also every other person in my 12-apt unit has at least 1 dog and i dunno if they have fleas or not too...

Old 11-22-2009, 12:55 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,979 times
That is where something like Comfortis or a topical will help you. If you kill off the infestation inside and keep the animals treated they can be in contact with fleas with little risk of bringing it home. Harper and I go for walks all the time through flea and tick infested areas and I seldom see live fleas on the cat (indoor) or anywhere inside the house. I see dead ones on Harper all the time though, lol.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:04 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
Unfortunately, fleas are becoming immune to Frontline. 4 of my friends' dogs had fleas recently, and all 4 are on Frontline. The vets in my area are offering refunds to dogs that are using Frontline and get fleas anyway. I would use something different in the future. We use Revolution and haven't had a problem with fleas, and we live in an are where they are a problem year round.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:28 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
TW, for anyone that does have a problem with fleas: we had a flea infestation (an apartment I moved into had several cats) and the vet told me to do this: Put moth balls in the vacuum cleaner, sprinkle baking soda around the carpet, and vacuum it up, daily -- giving special attention to any area where we'd found fleas -- which was everywhere.

Someone suggested the above to me and it does work

Old 11-22-2009, 01:39 PM

167 posts, read 597,795 times
If you want a non toxic way of treating your carpet for fleas, mix equal parts of borax (I use 20 mule team) and baking soda and sprinkle on the carpet (you can help it into the fibers with a stiff broom if you want). Wait about 20 minutes and vacuum (keep your pets off the carpet until you vacuum it up). That treatment will last about a year (unless you shampoo the carpet, after which you would have to re-treat) and will kill the fleas and won't be toxic for your pets like a bomb is. I try to avoid using chemicals around my dogs.

Another thing that will repel fleas is lavender. Maybe some lavender sachets in the bedding might help repel the fleas. Also, I have heard of people using lavender essential oil (I think you have to mix it with an oil base) on the fur of their pets to help repel the fleas. I have not tried that one yet, but it might be an idea for you if you have access to that sort of thing.

One other thing, bathing the dogs so often will dry out their skin and cause itching as well. You might want to be careful about what type of shampoo you are using. I used a flea shampoo once and it did a number on my dogs skin, she was terribly itchy from it. Now I use a non-detergent shampoo on her and it made a great difference.

Good luck

Old 11-22-2009, 05:31 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
All of the above advice is great. What ever treatment you do, remember any eggs that have been laid will be hatching shortly. Another treatment is required in another 2 weeks or so....It is where most people go wrong. They fail to re=treat...a third treatment can never hurt!
Be sure to vacumm along baseboards and in any small crevices around the house....these fleas are very resilient!
I keep our dog on Sentinel...Heartworm and flea...does not kill the fleas, but prevents them from breeding.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:44 PM

167 posts, read 597,795 times
Here is the link to the webpage I got the non-toxic flea control info from. Maybe it will be of help to you.

Alternatives for Animal Health | Non-Toxic Flea Control

Old 11-24-2009, 04:39 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,378,263 times
vacuum floors & furniture, have pet dipped, bomb house, repeat the vacuum and bombing every week for a month......or pay a exterminator who will do the same.....but I may be wrong....
P.S replace vacuum bag and remove from house each time you sweep for fleas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs