Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 05:35 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,391,218 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to know if other single females are like me? I will not even consider a relationship with a man who is not a real dog lover. I have written off MANY men as soon as I discovered that either they dont really care for dogs, they didnt pay attention to my dogs. I usually like to meet men who already own dogs themselves, and only if they are good dog owners. How bout yall?

Recent example: A man comes over to help me with something. He's been very interested in dating me. I have had coffee and lunch before with him. He sees my two dogs and doesnt make eye contact with them, talk to them, ask about them, just goes about his business of doing what he was here to do-mechanical. Then a week later he wonders why I havent agreed to go out on a dinner date. I told him why. I bet he regrets it now. But then again, if he knew this beforehand, he could have just been "fake" about it, and pretended to ask about my dogs, talk to them etc.

Last edited by NOTAM; 09-13-2008 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 05:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,881,046 times
Since I have both cats and dogs, I have only half the potential dates! Yes, they have to like them all. My daughter married a man who didn't care for her cats and they eventually divorced - only one of many strains on their marriage, not the only one.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:46 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,463,597 times
I'd like to find a sig. other who likes animals and then maybe we can adopt a dog together. I want a family.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:54 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,375,157 times
I am not single, but when I was, I would not date and certainly not marry anyone who didn't love my pets. If my dog didn't like him, the dog stayed and the man was sent packing. Has served me well.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:07 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,782,981 times
OK .... a little purging.... I was married 20 yrs.....hubby would take any dog but never any vet care just a "yard" dog. God how I hated that. After the 20 yr marriage I have also had a 6 yr. relationship. That is also over. I couldn't be with anyone that didn't love animals.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:15 PM

795 posts, read 4,541,283 times
oh, no, you are not alone! i dated a guy once who was jealous of my dog...he hated the fact that i greeted my dog with kisses at the door first when i came home, that the dog slept in the middle of the bed between us, and that the dog was allowed on the couch...for that and oh-so-many other reasons, it did not work out!

looking back on it, i should have known from the first he was bad news when he heard barnaby barking during a phone call and told me to put him out on the deck so we could talk in peace...hahaha, like that happened!

now i know better, AND i know the right questions to ask upfront. dog was here first, dude!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:25 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,915,351 times
Good thread!
I have a hard time developing close friendships with people of both sexes if they don't have an affinity for animals. It's not enough to just like animals. Liking can be done from afar and can be a generalized feeling. I look for people who have a particular mindset. I once dated a man who had adopted a cocker/dachshund mix from a kill shelter. He loved that dog. I'd often meet him at his house after work. One day when I got to the house I realized he wasn't home yet. I knew where he kept the key so I went in and let the dog out and gave him a treat. When Tony got home, the first thing he did was greet the dog and then feed him. Then he said hi to me. I married him. Sadly, Tony died way too young.

Years later I was serving on a town committee. One committee member's mother died and another member rode with me to the funeral. On the way to the funeral I saw a large snapping turtle in the middle of the highway. I stopped the car, put on the flashers and jumped out to try to stop traffic and get the turtle to the other side of the road safely. My companion didn't blink an eye. He jumped out with me and grabbed a stick and lured this 3 foot diameter turtle to the other side of the highway while I held up four lanes of traffic. We were late to the funeral.

We're still married.....

Old 09-13-2008, 07:26 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,782,981 times
God Bless Barndog.....are you my twin??? Thanks for the duplicate thoughts. Dogs rule!!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:30 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,391,218 times
you are one type of person i would be best friends with, no doubt.

my sister and i are very much alike in this respect-we also have a hard time developing close relationships to anyone who aint an animal lover

there is just something about folks who love animals.

i am glad that you have found yourself warm caring partners who are/were dog lovers. maybe one day i will too, again. but if i dont, i always will have the unconditional love of my fourlegged babies, and if that's all i will ever experience the rest of my life, i will be grateful for being blessed with the best ffourlegged furry friends in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Good thread!
I have a hard time developing close friendships with people of both sexes if they don't have an affinity for animals. It's not enough to just like animals. Liking can be done from afar and can be a generalized feeling. I look for people who have a particular mindset. I once dated a man who had adopted a cocker/dachshund mix from a kill shelter. He loved that dog. I'd often meet him at his house after work. One day when I got to the house I realized he wasn't home yet. I knew where he kept the key so I went in and let the dog out and gave him a treat. When Tony got home, the first thing he did was greet the dog and then feed him. Then he said hi to me. I married him. Sadly, Tony died way too young.

Years later I was serving on a town committee. One committee member's mother died and another member rode with me to the funeral. On the way to the funeral I saw a large snapping turtle in the middle of the highway. I stopped the car, put on the flashers and jumped out to try to stop traffic and get the turtle to the other side of the road safely. My companion didn't blink an eye. He jumped out with me and grabbed a stick and lured this 3 foot diameter turtle to the other side of the highway while I held up four lanes of traffic. We were late to the funeral.

We're still married.....

Old 09-14-2008, 10:02 AM

342 posts, read 1,832,859 times
For me, it's like human children. In searching for a mate, I need to not only find someone who likes and want children of their own, but we also need to agree on parenting.

Dogs are the same (since they're my fur-babies, and permanent members of my pack). I'd look for someone who wants a dog in their lives and pack, but we need to be on the same page when it comes to training, care, and ownership. Just being another dog or animal lover isn't enough if attitudes towards dog ownership isn't the same. I couldn't be with someone who didn't think dog obedience and training is important, or avoided the vet, or let their dog roam, or lacked the manners to pick up dog poop when in public. I've seen plenty of dog owners that I know I would NOT be compatible with, just from observing their ownership style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs