Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 06:13 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times

Advertisements

This is my public service announcement for the day.
Dog lovers sometimes go dogless, for a variety of reasons. Some live where they are not allowed to have dogs, and my post doesn't apply to you (sorry). Other people may have lost their pet, and don't feel ready to own another, or may even feel they'll never get another because their passing is too painful. Some don't have the financial means to take care of a dog, or are afraid of incurring big vet bills that are out of reach.
Millions of dogs are put to sleep every year in this country. One thing that helps both shelters and rescues save more lives is foster homes. Shelters have more kennel space when dogs go into foster, and rescues can pull more dogs from shelters when they have more temporary homes for them.
One group of dogs that it's next to impossible to find foster homes for, is dogs that do not do well living with other dogs. Most people willing to foster dogs have at least one of their own, and often a houseful. Rescues almost never pull them from shelters, no matter how wonderful they are otherwise. Many of them are extremely loving with people, including kids, and some even like cats! They just can't get along with other dogs, for various reasons. This doesn't always mean they will be reactive and hard to handle around other dogs, say on a walk or at the vet. Some dogs can be polite with other dogs nearby, but have difficulties with close interaction with dogs. If you have a lot of dog experience, you might consider a dog who has a harder time being around dogs in public. I know it's a longshot that you don't already have dogs if this is the case, but maybe there is someone out there that fits the bill!
Fostering is great for the person who can't afford vet bills. These are covered for you by almost all shelters and rescues. Many places will provide crate, leashes, collars and even food if need be. Anyone can make a big difference by taking a dog in to foster, and if you don't have a dog of your own you are needed even more! Think about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 06:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
I learned about the ins and outs of fostering by reading this forum. Prior to that, I had no idea what was involved... nor how valuable a "service" it is. Armed with my new knowledge, I made the informal decision that, once Artie [can't say the word], I would foster a dog.

And now, with this newer knowledge -- about dogs that are not other-dog-friendly -- I will definitely stand by my decision and will opt to foster one of those puppers when the time comes.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 AM

Dawn, you are wonderful. And your having experience with the U S version of Artie who didn't like dogs, you'd be awesome. That said, I hope you won't be able to foster yet for a long time to come! We all know Artie has to live to be at least twenty years old!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Dawn, you are wonderful. And your having experience with the U S version of Artie who didn't like dogs, you'd be awesome. That said, I hope you won't be able to foster yet for a long time to come! We all know Artie has to live to be at least twenty years old!
Ha! The U.S version of Artie! LOL! Everyone here gets such a kick out the fact that he's become a true Canadian -- complete with being so freakin' laid back -- almost immediately.

Not wonderful but, yeah, I certainly have the patience for one who's like "old-style Artie." I knew about Artie's shtick before I took him on and I didn't care. It didn't mean he didn't still deserve love.

And with that said, there's another thing that I learned from reading City Data posts: the term "foster failure."

Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 AM

LOL @ foster failure! Yes, it happens. Anyway, I'm glad I planted a seed in at least one person's mind!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
I don't think I could be a dog foster Mom for the same reason I couldn't be a people foster Mom- the thought of having to part with a little one I had come to love would put me away. At least with dogs you have some assurance the next home will be a final and good home while with kids it's not so clear, especially if they have to go back to a home where they were not cared for as they should have been.

The only time I have been dog less was a brief 7 year period while I was single and living in a high rise in D.C. Even when I was dirt poor and back in graduate school I rescued a stray mother and her 6 pups and I suppose I will die with a dog in my life. At least I hope I never have to live dogless or catless ever again in my life.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't think I could be a dog foster Mom for the same reason I couldn't be a people foster Mom- the thought of having to part with a little one I had come to love would put me away.
I'm guessing that you know that that's EXACTLY how I'd feel -- and why I know the term "foster failure" -- but I came to the hopeful belief that the smiles on everyone's face (both human and dog) when a forever home match is made would make that awful feeling lessen.

Well, that's the THEORY that I came up with. I don't know that it would pan out quite like that.

I'm willing to test the theory, though. If I can't do it? Well, then I guess I'd have a new dog.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:37 PM

857 posts, read 2,217,685 times
Maybe if you can't foster .you could help out at the local shelters.Those dogs are so in need of attention.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:57 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,986,422 times
For the first time in 20 yrs. our house has no dogs. I say house because a house is not a home without a dog!!!
I would be afraid to foster and fall in love again with the little buggers!!!

I am now just getting used to a cleaner home, not having to rush home from events, meds, dog hair, traveling without feeling so guilty and worried, dog food prices, no more frantic thunder storm OCD, a greener back hard with no holes and ditches.

But WE miss a furry head to pet, a paw to shake, long walks in the park, protection, un conditional love, funny antics, nudges to "get out of the house"'
A cold snout in your face @ 7am in bed, watching them run at full speed in an open field,
That look when they sniff the air warning us of something about to take place,
Howls, barks, whining, begging for people food, leaning, sneezing, open smiling mouths,
A soft belly to rub, and noses to kiss, soulful eyes that can see right through you and know all your good and bad secrets.

Maybe fostering may be in our future, but not at this time...
Thank you though for your animal passion. We need more of that in our world.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:21 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times
I tried fostering and despite some issues would try it again. I also fostered a litter of kittens However I would address expectations and issues up front and make sure I' working with a good group
I imagine success can vary depending on the personalities involved in the rescue organization.
My advice would think about any limitations you might have and make sure they are discussed up front and heard.

The thing that really bothered me was not letting them go, but being unsure whether the new home was really a good home. Wander around a humane society and watch some of the adoptions. Not always my dream homes some of them and others you know just aren't going to work out and the dog will be bounced back. Its out of your hands but hard to be part of the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs