Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:24 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,436,342 times

Advertisements

so true. for instance, a man who doesnt agree to inside dogs, would be out of the question for me. lots of these cowboy/hunter types here in good ole Texas, keep dogs for the sole purpose of hunting, herding, and not as family pets. i'm a country/cowgirl type but i believe in dogs as family pets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
For me, it's like human children. In searching for a mate, I need to not only find someone who likes and want children of their own, but we also need to agree on parenting.

Dogs are the same (since they're my fur-babies, and permanent members of my pack). I'd look for someone who wants a dog in their lives and pack, but we need to be on the same page when it comes to training, care, and ownership. Just being another dog or animal lover isn't enough if attitudes towards dog ownership isn't the same. I couldn't be with someone who didn't think dog obedience and training is important, or avoided the vet, or let their dog roam, or lacked the manners to pick up dog poop when in public. I've seen plenty of dog owners that I know I would NOT be compatible with, just from observing their ownership style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 04:45 PM

64 posts, read 315,090 times
He's gotta love your babies!

Old 09-14-2008, 04:46 PM

288 posts, read 921,601 times
One of the biggest reasons I love my boyfriend is how he is with animals...especially how he is with my dogs. He used to have Boxers and although he jokes around that my dogs (Maltese) are not "real" dogs, you should see how he is with them. He treats little four pound Cookie like a princess. They cuddle, she gets belly rubs, and he always makes sure she has a soft place to sit or sleep. With the much bigger (hahaha) Noodle (11 pounds), he is just as affectionate, but on "manly" terms. They have "man time" together regularly. Noodle is normally a somewhat standoffish dog, but he is very different around my boyfriend...he worships him just as much as Cookie does.

My boyfriend is very kind and caring towards all animals (for us, that's a basic part of being vegan), not just my dogs. But, it is seeing him interact with my furbabies that melts my heart the most.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:56 PM

7 posts, read 9,603 times
My puppy is my baby. She was my best friend before I met my boyfriend and will if anything should ever happen with us. Even still, if I'm upset, she listens intently (probably thinking "i want a treat, now!"), and always puts a smile on my face. There's not a chance in heck I would consider dating someone who didn't like her. It seriously is like having a child. Ya gotta love my "kid".

Old 09-14-2008, 05:29 PM

4,584 posts, read 12,412,121 times
It's real simple love me love my critters

Old 09-14-2008, 05:30 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,463,737 times
We are on the same page here...my babies are first in line. But in my case they have to love my horses too! Not much available in the dating game that love dogs and horses from what I can see. My ex told me to get rid of the horses after I was hurt one day and after I spit out the dirt I told him they would be around longer than him. Well I still have that Mare and been single 8 yrs! Now I have added to Aussies and you don't come in the door if they don't like you.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:17 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,651,064 times
Put me down in the ranks of those of you that have said you you have hard time developing friendships with either sex if they do not bond with animals. I have met people that yes own a pet but they do not seem to have that bond with the pet and I have a hard time being friends with them. I think there is a certain mindset in people that bond with their pets and we then understand one another.

Put me in a room with other responsible dog owners that consider the dog family yet respect the fact that no it is not a human but rather a dog that should not be expected to be human and I feel right at home. But put me in a room of people that do not enjoy dogs or those that have dogs that they think are human and they treat them as such and get mad when it growls or behaves in what is natural behavior for a dog and I will be very uncomfortable. So it is not just must love dogs but must respect that a dog is not human as much as we sometimes want to believe they are. And with that truth understand that as a dog it will have behaviors we may not like or understand but are not bad they are just how dogs communicate with each other and yes they are understood by other dogs. So I think I up the requirement by wanting people that understand dog behavior and accept and don't expect the dog to behave as a human. ( it applies to any animal they are not human and it is my responsibility to try to understand their behavior as look how hard they do the same for me and try to please me by doing so)

Old 09-14-2008, 06:30 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,093,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Put me down in the ranks of those of you that have said you you have hard time developing friendships with either sex if they do not bond with animals. I have met people that yes own a pet but they do not seem to have that bond with the pet and I have a hard time being friends with them. I think there is a certain mindset in people that bond with their pets and we then understand one another.

Put me in a room with other responsible dog owners that consider the dog family yet respect the fact that no it is not a human but rather a dog that should not be expected to be human and I feel right at home. But put me in a room of people that do not enjoy dogs or those that have dogs that they think are human and they treat them as such and get mad when it growls or behaves in what is natural behavior for a dog and I will be very uncomfortable. So it is not just must love dogs but must respect that a dog is not human as much as we sometimes want to believe they are. And with that truth understand that as a dog it will have behaviors we may not like or understand but are not bad they are just how dogs communicate with each other and yes they are understood by other dogs. So I think I up the requirement by wanting people that understand dog behavior and accept and don't expect the dog to behave as a human. ( it applies to any animal they are not human and it is my responsibility to try to understand their behavior as look how hard they do the same for me and try to please me by doing so)
I agree with you.

and, I also don't want to be around people (as friends) who have pets and are irresponsible owners or don't in other ways take care of them.

As far as dating goes... I'm not really interested.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:51 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,585,111 times
My husband tells people I married him for his dog !

It's kind of true in a way . When I saw how he felt about animals, I knew I had met my match. Sure, I knew plenty of "dog lovers", but here was a guy who was really empathetic to the species...just on a different level than a typical dog-lover, y'know?

I'd hate to have to argue with someone for better treatment of my animals, I want to be with someone who "gets it" from the get-go .

No one's perfect and I was always willing to compromise on certain things, but how someone treated animals was never going to be a compromise .

Old 09-14-2008, 11:52 PM

18,739 posts, read 33,612,304 times
I doubt any man who didn't like dogs would like me- currently I have five dogs!

Yes, I'd far prefer an animal lover, and a dog person, to boot. I have a generalized feeling about men, people, who don't like dogs (unless they've been bitten or otherwise had a bad experience). Dogs are pure ID- they aren't self-consicous, they have grungy doggy ways, what you see is what you get. If someone overall just doesn't like dogs, I suspect they are uncomfortable with dogs' doginess, which, in people, translates to informality, lack of pretention, open feelings.
Big generalizations, I know, but if someone doesn't like dogs, they're not likely to like me (or me like that person).
If someone doensn't like any animals, regardless of experience, I'd bet that person is withheld, pretentious, very concerned with surface and others' opinions. Another big generalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs