Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:15 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,389,039 times

Advertisements

Since I am alone, with no kids, husband, or family, I have arranged my good friends (a wife and husband) to be godparents, in the event something happens to me. I have it written in my FIVE WISHES (a type of advance directives/living will document)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 07:23 PM

673 posts, read 3,147,403 times
I do not have it in writing yet, but as soon as my husband and I make a will (which has to be soon, we have a child) I plan to include something in writing that my dog will be with my child(ren). I want the family to stay together...that's very important for me.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:24 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,069,360 times
I dont have anything legal made out, but I've expressed my wishes with my mom as to who would keep my 2. One, the Pug, would stay with her. Because shes the most loved (unfortunately my mom's a breedist) and I know she'll be well cared for. And I'd like my Shih Tzu to go with a friend and her husband (no kids) who're both huge dog lovers, and have 7 of their own. My Shih gets along well with all of them, and my friend is a groomer, so I think she'd do well there.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:34 PM

692 posts, read 3,857,318 times
I don't have anything in writing, but my whole family is animal and go friendly. If anything ever happened to me Teddie would go with my mom or one of my sisters.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:38 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,711,124 times
I've talked to a few people about this, and have seen what happens to the dogs of people who either go into nursing homes or who pass away. Often, if you have friends and acquaintances in the breed or are involved in breed rescue, there are good people who will make sure that the animals you leave behind are well taken care of. Someone I know who already has 7 dogs she loves and trains and competes in obedience trials (not a breeder, the animals are all neutered or spayed), just took in another one whose owner died. I know it will have a loving home, though arrangemens weren't made beforehand. I've seen notices up in vets offices from time to time that someone has to go into a nursing home and their pets need to be re-homed. Rescue organizations are very good about screening and making sure that an animal will have a good home. If you haven't yet made arrangements (and you probably should stipulate in your will that a certain amount of $$ goes with the animal to help defray expenses like future vet bills, etc), then make sure you have a good circle of doggie loving friends who could step in in the event that it is needed.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:04 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,530,811 times
My kids will get mine if something happened to my wife and myself.
Sold puppies have in contract where as if owner has something happen or cannot take care of em they come to back me (no selling, giving away, or sheltered this includes to relatives) and tell new owners that also as one said if something happen to her and hubby her Mom get dog said look at contract before signing as dog comes back to me and she liked the fact wrote up like this as not worry about puppy then.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:43 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,176,997 times
My husband and I have three American Pit Bull Terriers that are like our children! As of right now we don't have any arrangements for them, but that is something we have talked about before and something we are definitely going to do. All of our close friends and family LOVE our dogs and our dogs LOVE them, so as for right now, if something were to happen to us, I know our dogs would be okay. My mother-in-law, my 9 year old brother-in-law and my 7 year old sister-in-law live 5 minutes down the street from us. Our dogs grew up around them and they see them at least a few times a week. If something were to happen to us right now, I'm positive they would take all three of our dogs. I do want to make absolutely sure they would be taken care of though. We are definitely going to figure out who would take them and get it all written up, just to be safe!

Old 09-20-2007, 04:26 PM

18,736 posts, read 33,427,167 times
I have made arrangements for a substantial part of my assets to go to Best Friends in Utah, and any dogs I have will be shipped there, for life or for adoption. In addition, Best Friends will always take its own back, so I've honestly considered only adopting from there. I carry emergency info in my car and purse with the phone number of someone who would get my dogs and board them until they could go to Best Friends.
Currently two of my five dogs are Best Friends adoptees.
Of course I worry most about being hit by a truck on the highway and my dogs are home without care for days and all.
If you designate someone to take them, be sure that person continues to be able and responsible to do so. I adopted a 14-year-old dynamo from Best Friends whose person went into assisted living, and the people who were supposed to care for him just put him outside on a chain until he got rescued. (At 16, he seems to be growing younger every day.Love those heeler mutts!)

Old 09-20-2007, 05:22 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,742,022 times
I figure I would leave my dog $12 million dollars and leave my kids and grand children nothing.

Helmsley's Dog Gets $12 Million in Will - washingtonpost.com

Oh, wait, Leona Helmsley alreaded did that trick.

Leona Helmsleys Unusual Last Will - City Room - Metro - New York Times Blog

Old 09-20-2007, 05:53 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,389,039 times
that is my biggest worry-being alone-that what if i were in a motor vehicle crash and my dogs were left unfed etc for several days-because sometimes i go a few days without calling my mom or sister, so it wouldnt raise any red flags.
glad i am not the only one who thinks that way...
i am an ER nurse so am extremely in touch with my mortality, and have to think practically-because anything can happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have made arrangements for a substantial part of my assets to go to Best Friends in Utah, and any dogs I have will be shipped there, for life or for adoption. In addition, Best Friends will always take its own back, so I've honestly considered only adopting from there. I carry emergency info in my car and purse with the phone number of someone who would get my dogs and board them until they could go to Best Friends.
Currently two of my five dogs are Best Friends adoptees.
Of course I worry most about being hit by a truck on the highway and my dogs are home without care for days and all.
If you designate someone to take them, be sure that person continues to be able and responsible to do so. I adopted a 14-year-old dynamo from Best Friends whose person went into assisted living, and the people who were supposed to care for him just put him outside on a chain until he got rescued. (At 16, he seems to be growing younger every day.Love those heeler mutts!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs