Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 07:04 AM

137 posts, read 412,631 times

Advertisements

wishing the best for you and Hogan ( and Dash, and all the others). I know how hard this is to go thru. and you are right, the not knowing is worse.

a little bummed today. this is the day we lost Oscar, 2 years ago. we planted a scrawny little tree for him in his memory. coincidently, it just started blooming. I think he would like it. hope the link works, can't get the pics to post

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...m/100_1207.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...mom/mail-1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:12 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Oscarmom,

I love the idea of planting a tree! Beautiful!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:51 AM

98 posts, read 167,291 times
This may be a repeat post - not sure, but Hogansfriend: Back in December (the 23rd) we came home from work and discovered that our Maltese Mix had been having bloody noses during the day, and started again when we arrived home. We immediately took her to the Vet. He noticed a slight "slice" on her upper right nostril and thought that was it. We weren't convinced We took her home, and it started up again, she bled on and off all night and did so for the next few weeks. She was due for a dental, so our Vet did X-Rays at that time, and saw nothing, but she still had that little lesion, and it was in an area that she constantly licked. We also think she got it from rooting around in the cat litter boxes, which we've since raised up off the floor so she can't get to them. In addition, we purchased a cool air humidifer, because her nose was dry. She hasn't had a nose bleed in months and the lesion has cleared up. Sometimes, and let's hope in this case, it might be something other than nasal cancer. I came here when she started bleeding to seek answers, and my heart goes out to everyone and their furbabys who are going through this.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:47 AM

55 posts, read 180,110 times
Thanx Guys..

Oscarmom..,Great idea about the tree.

Meezermom...Hogan also had a small nick on his nose which I first thought was the cause. Then vet said it was not. I put some ice on his nose this morning and tried a nasal spray. I hear that dreaded licking nose. He continues to bleed on and off...I gave him half of a sedative. And of course the antibiotic..He of course does not like the ice pack or nasal spray

I am starting to feel overwelmed...And this has just started...So the new normal is my dog bleeds on and off all day...And I keep red blankets all over the place to protect my carpets. Almost took a header as I slipped on the blankets...

Just venting people, just venting..

Rod..

Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 AM

vent away!so nice to have a place like this, altho I wish we never needed it. I wish I had found this site when Oscar was sick and going thru all his tests. it was even more tough because my husband travels for work sometimes. He was in China for three weeks during the last part of the illness, testing, etc. I felt overwhelmed by myself. I was also afraid Oscar would have to leave us before "Daddy" came home. as it turned out, Oscar passed 3 days after my hubby got home. I swear he was waiting for him.

post whenever you need to. I don't even know Hogan but feel like I do and care very much.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Thanx oscarmom, and all the others here. A special thanks to Dashdog, aka Jen for starting this thread.

I have gave hoag half a sedative and he is resting...Not walking him is taking away some quality time. I hope we can get back to this. I can't invision just poping him pills to keep him quiet for the rest of time. I have also tryed using neo synephrine spray..may or may not have worked..There are stronger drugs I could use and in time I may have no choice in using them...

I think it's time for me to talk a walk...

Oscarmom you ever get another fury friend...?

I hope Dash is hanging in there..

Thanx again for support and ideas..

Rod

Old 04-02-2009, 12:27 PM

98 posts, read 167,291 times
Just take it a day at a time. Our Vet told us not to spray anything inside, because it might start up the bleeding, if it were in fact coming from the inside. We still don't know how large that lesion was within her nose, but there sure was a lot of blood. We found a child sized ice pack (shaped like fish) that was very easy for us to handle, and fit over her nose area. It would be a good size for any dog.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:39 PM

yes I did get another bichon, about 6 months after Oscar passed. we already had Felix during Oscar's last year ( a katrina rescue, he is a terrier mix) but wanted a bichon. Kramer came from small paws rescue in Tulsa.

Felix and Kramer keep me hopping- they are both 4. quite different from one elderly dog! they are funny and lovable- but Oscar was my "heart" dog

here they are together, in a rare quiet moment

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...mom/018_15.jpg

Old 04-02-2009, 03:23 PM

Oscarmon,

My wife would love to have dogs like that...Me I like them alittle bigger...However the saying " the bigger they are the harder they fall" is all to true.

Meezermom, I called the vets today and asked to speak to another vet in the group for a second opinion. He prescribed another spray, a cortisone...We shall see

Old 04-02-2009, 06:16 PM

Well, Hogan had another bleeding episode tonight. blood on my bed, in my hair..etc...I can't handle too much more of this. He is in the back yard, if God is with me he will bleed out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs